I get the TMA hate now

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
funny that you say this. I posted a video of my sparring highlights and was told that all they saw was a Kung Fu master beating up on his students lol. People on the internet are quick to make assumptions about what they think they are seeing. Adding context helps, but it can get tiring trying to explain every bit of what's happening in the video.

In terms of what youtube has to say... The best course of action is to just not care. For me, I put videos on youtube so I can share them with who aren't on youtube, For me it's a media storage unless I have some marketing to do.
For the record, your videos are informative and well, they demonstrate your skill and ability in training. I appreciate them.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are a lot of garbage videos out there and on here. While I don’t plan on adding to the pile, I’m not above calling it out for what it is. You may be more generous, better principled, and more learned than I am.
I'm definitely not. And yeah I agree the Internet is the grave of the internet.

Nowhere else to go but down.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or they are just fake and staged. People will fake anything for YouTube.
There are just too many videos that

- A throws a punch at B.
- B blocks and counters back with 5 moves while A's punching arm is still frozen in the thin air.

Also, there are too much talking in most of the videos. I like silent video that someone just does his stuff without saying a word.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Controversial title for a lot of folks on here, and for that I do apologize. I'm not saying I hate TMAs. I just now have a much better understanding where such opinions come from.

When I was training Taekwondo and Hapkido at my previous school, it was very difficult to be in a lot of debates with folks on "MMA vs. TMA", because neither of us had enough of a picture to really discuss it. I had no experience with the combat sports, and they didn't know my particular gym. These debates arguments basically boiled down to me watching Muay Thai videos and comparing what I see to what I do in TKD, and them telling me they took an Aikido class once so they know how my Hapkido class trains.

A year ago, I started BJJ. Six months ago, Muay Thai. Now, I have a lot more experience to bring to the debate than I did before. I've made another thread about this, but the summary is: I feel validated in what I've trained and how it was trained in TKD/HKD, but I also have a lot to learn about BJJ/MT.

I've also tried a Hapkido class here, and spent three months at a Taekwondo class here, and now I can see why these arts get so much skepticism on here and on other sites by folks who do primarily combat sports.
The Hapkido class was 45 minutes of warmups (basically yoga) followed by 15 minutes of class. It included the Master saying things that made sense (i.e. "HKD is only for defense" and "I won't trash talk other arts, I'll just teach you what I know"), followed by being an absolute hypocrite (students working on jump split kicks for their next test, him crapping all over the way boxers punch).

The Taekwondo class was the softest martial arts class I've ever seen, outside of Tai Chi. In drills, partners would fall before you even made contact with them. At one point he said, "Don't actually block their arm because you might hurt them." His specialty was forms, and yet 99% of his upper belts didn't even know what moves they were supposed to do, or have any idea how to correctly do them (i.e. doing scissor blocks in the forms without even crossing their arms). Some of them didn't even know the proper names of the forms, when they had only one form to know at each belt. (Not learn: know).

I can certainly see someone going from a school that says "We only teach pure 100% self-defense" and does jump split kicks to a Muay Thai school and seeing the difference in what actually works. Nothing against jump split kicks, but don't try and say it's 100% for the streets. I can see someone going to a school that says "Don't block the arm because it might hurt them" to a BJJ school and hearing "Bumps happen, keep going", and wonder why TKD is so soft. I also can say for sure what my previous school is and isn't like, because I have combat sports to compare it to, and I have other TMAs to compare it to.

I am now the guy who quit TKD to spend more time at BJJ, even though I still consider my primary art TKD.
Some schools are geared more to packing them with people and kids I’ve seen rather than teaching actual ability. Whats sad is people defend that. I’ve heard stories where so n so goes out and tries using nonsense on the street and gets their butt kicked.

Not all TMA schools are like that though and sadly some BJJ schools award belts too I’ve heard.

Latest Discussions