Cleaning sparring gear

formernuke

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering what everyone uses to clean and disinfect your sparring gear. Tips and techniques welcome.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the gear.

When I did TKD, I would wash the cloth-ish stuff in the laundry. I would take the thicker pads (groin cup, helmet, chestguard) into the shower, rub them down with a soft sponge and some Dawn dish soap, and then rinse them off to dry.

In Muay Thai, I just spray my gear with Lysol after each class.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soon as you get home from training, take your gear out of your bag to air (dry) them. Spray with antibacterial spray to kill odour producing bacterial and wipe down any excess. Once a week, place them in washing machine’s, short rinse cycle with something like Dettol’s Laundry sanitiser (kills bacteria). Again, air dry and store in the open to allow air flow.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering what everyone uses to clean and disinfect your sparring gear. Tips and techniques welcome.
Wash clothing as needed. Do Not use bleach. For sparring gear spray any brand disinfectant daily/as used. and wash in the sink with soap weekly.
It is slowly coming back around but I am seeing disinfectant rinse tubs at larger tournaments again. People got freaked out about them during Covid but that is subsiding.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cloth stuff I wash with the rest of my laundry. The foam rubber stuff I clean with a drop or two of disinfectant in bucket of warm water and I just give it a good wash down and I let it air dry.

rabbittoystory

White Belt
Reaction score
I've heard peeps swear by a mix of water and white vinegar to zap those germs, while others are all about that antibacterial soap life. Throw in a couple of dryer sheets when you're storing 'em, and you'll be smelling like a rose when it's go-time.

Latest Discussions