I found this amazing from another place

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
- David's middle name is not communication. .

Thats alot of syllables. we just go with "NON-COMM".

and that sounds about right.
icon10.gif

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I could have predicted this one. Rumors are that David is now saying it is not his decision, not him, it's John Seiber. Supposedly Bruce has now been offered a spot. Whether or not he takes it, or they give him a ticket, I don't know. I do know he is not the only well known senior referee dissed.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Orlando Fl
JO 2010:
Male - 203
Female - 129
Sr Nats 2010:
Male - 167
Female - 117

Austin Tx
JO 2009:
Male - 197
Female - 132
Sr Nats 2009:
Male - 139
Female - 88

As far as numbers goes here is my take from last year till now

J O males up 4
J O Female down 3
SR males up 28
SR Female up 29

I do not see alot of difference in numbers with this being one of the biggest tournaments around for the US Tae Kwon Do, maybe it is just me.

On a side note it looks like the AAU will have double the numbers against the USAT this year. Just making a note so everybody do not get your pantys in a wrinkle OK.....

Last edited:

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does AAU post their numbers and list of participants somewhere?

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't think they are double up numbers on USAT. the pdf of athletes has 36 pages with about 51 names per page - except the first and last page. Saying all pages had 51 pages would be 1836 - and I noticed some duplicate names. My total count on USAT before the early registration ended was 1655 JO's and 300 Nationals - and that was last Friday afternoon before the last minute rush. http://image.aausports.org/dnn/tw/2010/athlete_export.pdf

Last edited:

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The link provided by Ms Sweet is just a big long list of names. I like to compare apples to apples, so to speak. Is there anywhere that we can get a list of 14-17BB and 14+ BB sparring competitors from AAU to compare with the numbers I posted from USAT a few days ago?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The link provided by Ms Sweet is just a big long list of names. I like to compare apples to apples, so to speak. Is there anywhere that we can get a list of 14-17BB and 14+ BB sparring competitors from AAU to compare with the numbers I posted from USAT a few days ago?

I think that was her point?

She waded through it and split it into age/gender groups, after removing doubles...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did a rough count on competitors from just the 14-17 age group BB only and this is what I came up with give or take 10% for human error.

USAT number for 14-17 years old is 203 males that is between all wieght classes, AAU has 284 between all the wieght classes - Girls 14-17 is 129 for USAT and AAU is 184 so when I am saying double that is my numbers, just for that catagory.

I am not bashing or anything just making avaiable some numbers. USAT and AAU are about the same as far as seniors goes. So USAT has 332 14-17 girls and boys compared to AAU 468, so it is not doubled. I do not understand what it really matters, people post USAT and I just posted AAU. Sorry if I offended anyone.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No offense taken. Can yo tell me where you are getting the AAU numbers?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
USAT registration closed last night and the final numbers are in. Looks like this will be the biggest event in at least the past 5 years, and is some cases by some pretty extraordinary percentages:

Looking at only World Class Sparring Numbers (14-17BB for JRs and 14+ BB for SRs):

Orlando Fl
JO 2010:
Male - 216 (10% Increase over last year)
Female - 138 (5% Increase over last year)
Sr Nats 2010:
Male - 193 (39% Increase over last year)
Female - 129 (47% Increase over last year)

Austin Tx
JO 2009:
Male - 197
Female - 132
Sr Nats 2009:
Male - 139
Female - 88

Detroit Mi
JO 2008:
Male - 171
Female - 111
Sr Nats 2008:
Male - 130
Female - 90

San Jose Ca
JO 2007:
Male - 173
Female - 135
Sr Nats 2007:
Male - 147
Female - 102

Atlanta Ga
JO 2006:
Male - 171
Female - 124
Cleveland Oh
Sr Nats 2006:
Male - 133
Female - 95

The closest comparison to this year is San Jose but these numbers are still greater. So what can we attribute these numbers to? I would say, location. There is much more family fun to have in Orlando than there is is Austin or Detroit for sure. But it is not the Jr numbers with the dramatic increases. Yes Jr numbers are up, but Sr numbers ARE REALLY UP. Perhaps it is all those people thinking that they have a shot at the Olympic team since this is the first phase of that process. But wasn't that the case in Cleveland also in 2006?

Why?

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Might be interesting to look at the names in the divisions as well as where they are from and what division they are in. I suspect Steven's division will have an increase this year as now many are planning on being the next one to knock him out - rather than changing weight divisions etc.... I don't know this is the case but I do wonder.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I did a smaller comparison on total numbers:

2010 2009
Male JO 1562 1288
Fe JO 905 706
Male Nat 375 298
Fe Nat 251 193

It doesn't like my excel.
Total Male JO's increase - 274
Total Female JO increase - 199
total Male Nationals Increase - 77
Total Female Nationals Increase - 58

Combined Event increase - 608

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to see it broke down by wieght classes, I would imagine that some are not fully done and others our over packed.

Also alot of AAU people will travel up since they are close enough to do both, it was smart for USAT to be right around the corner since there numbers have been down the last couple of years.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would love to see it broke down by wieght classes, I would imagine that some are not fully done and others our over packed.

Also alot of AAU people will travel up since they are close enough to do both, it was smart for USAT to be right around the corner since there numbers have been down the last couple of years.

Terry, at least when it comes to the divisions that I posted, USAT numbers have not been down for the last couple of years. In almost every category from 1 year to the next for the past 5 years, the numbers have gone up from 1 year to the next. In the couple of cases that numbers did go down, they went down by just 2 registered.

I don't have the time to go through the numbers division by division or removing duplicates from the total numbers for those that choose to do multiple events. I will leave that to someone with more free time.

But when it comes to comparing 1 year to the next for the World Class 14+ Black Belts in both Jr and Sr the numbers have gone up.

And I have not seen location of AAU and USAT cause much drop in attendance at either. I know plenty of people that did AAU in Fl and USAT in Ca in 2007 and you can't get much more geographically separated than that for 2 major events within a day of each other.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are right except for 2009-2009 seasons when it was down by 58 total in just those divisions. Also remember when I speak I also include over all numbers and when that is in place yes the numbers was down. I know USAT is a major player but only because of those elite players, if they was truely a proper org a real grassroot program would be in place to help develope younger talent. I am not bashing just stating facts. I also relize we have alot of USAT members here now just because they have players in the right age groups.

Just on a side note remember the elite will always do both just because they have too. USAT is in trouble and if anybody here or anywhere for that matter does not agree than they are fooling themself and there schools. For those of you in FT. Lauderdale or Orlando I will see you because I will be at both, hopefully a cold beer and some pretzils will make amends to some of you.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For those of you in FT. Lauderdale or Orlando I will see you because I will be at both, hopefully a cold beer and some pretzils will make amends to some of you.

Now that sound s like a fun proposition.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Terry, at least when it comes to the divisions that I posted, USAT numbers have not been down for the last couple of years. In almost every category from 1 year to the next for the past 5 years, the numbers have gone up from 1 year to the next. In the couple of cases that numbers did go down, they went down by just 2 registered.

I don't have the time to go through the numbers division by division or removing duplicates from the total numbers for those that choose to do multiple events. I will leave that to someone with more free time.

But when it comes to comparing 1 year to the next for the World Class 14+ Black Belts in both Jr and Sr the numbers have gone up.

And I have not seen location of AAU and USAT cause much drop in attendance at either. I know plenty of people that did AAU in Fl and USAT in Ca in 2007 and you can't get much more geographically separated than that for 2 major events within a day of each other.

Your Excel tip for today: Go to Hangastar - export the list to Excel. Hit Ctrl A. Data - Sort - by last, first and middle. Hit Ctrl A again, go to Data - Advanced Filter - click the button on the bottom that says "unique records only>" that kills all the dups.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will see you because I will be at both, hopefully a cold beer and some pretzils will make amends to some of you.

I'll take you up on that. for anytone else interested, i'll be witht he family martial Arts center Dragons out of PA. Look for the coach with the beard...come say "hi" or taunt or whatever...it's all good. :)

Peace,
Erik

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You are right except for 2009-2009 seasons when it was down by 58 total in just those divisions.

I believe you meant 2008-2009?

Austin Tx
JO 2009:
Male - 197 (An increase of 28 over 2008)
Female - 132 (An increase of 21 over 2008)
Sr Nats 2009:
Male - 139 (An increase of 9 over 2008)
Female - 88 (A decrease of 2 over 2008)

Detroit Mi
JO 2008:
Male - 171
Female - 111
Sr Nats 2008:
Male - 130
Female - 90

I see a net increase of 56 from 2008 to 2009 in these categories. Am I missing something?

Latest Discussions