I don't like Romney or Big Bird

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh no....not trying to imply that you hate it or want it done away with. I actually debated framing my opening question to you with my background but decided against it because it seemed too...wordy.

I started my career in non-profit broadcasting. I was hired by the Christian Science Monitor's (now defunct) radio division and worked as an assistant producer for an afternoon news show that was uplinked to the (now defunct) American Public Radio network. It was pretty cool hearing work I contributed to being used on a network of 140 stations (!!) when I was still a college student. Sadly they got shuttered for financial reasons, but it opened the door for me to do audio work for Boston Catholic Television, the Massachusetts State House, and then once I finally graduated from college, I landed a full time engineering position for a very large (commercial) Boston radio station. As a bit of trivia that's probably not important to anyone but me, I became the first female Chief Engineer in all of New England. Go me. :ultracool:

I'm curious (or nosey...lol) about this stuff because radio was at one time to be very close to my heart. While I changed careers some time ago, I still find it interesting to hear people's perspectives on what actually goes on in the broadcast industry.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh no....not trying to imply that you hate it or want it done away with. I actually debated framing my opening question to you with my background but decided against it because it seemed too...wordy.

I started my career in non-profit broadcasting. I was hired by the Christian Science Monitor's (now defunct) radio division and worked as an assistant producer for an afternoon news show that was uplinked to the (now defunct) American Public Radio network. It was pretty cool hearing work I contributed to being used on a network of 140 stations (!!) when I was still a college student. Sadly they got shuttered for financial reasons, but it opened the door for me to do audio work for Boston Catholic Television, the Massachusetts State House, and then once I finally graduated from college, I landed a full time engineering position for a very large (commercial) Boston radio station. As a bit of trivia that's probably not important to anyone but me, I became the first female Chief Engineer in all of New England. Go me. :ultracool:

I'm curious (or nosey...lol) about this stuff because radio was at one time to be very close to my heart. While I changed careers some time ago, I still find it interesting to hear people's perspectives on what actually goes on in the broadcast industry.

Thanks for the explanation! I often get arguments from people on the 'funding the arts' question that imply that if I don't want the US taxpayer to fund it, that means I do not want it to exist. I had that kind of either/or logic. I don't think the US should be paying taxpayer dollars for many things which I still think are very worthwhile things. I'm all for PBS/NPR, etc. I just think they should not be drawing tax dollars.

PBS offers excellent television programming, and I love to listen to many shows on NPR, which opens a window on the world to me that I would normally never hear. It's all good. But that doesn't mean I think because it's good, John Q. Taxpayer has to fund it.

And congrats to you. Another barrier broken, and that's fantastic.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just as a quick and slightly realted note..... Big Bird use to live in Connecticut

I was always partial to people named Carol. Or Caroll ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Actually they are going in support of PBS but I will admit it is getting a bit silly. I thought the whole thing was rather funny in the beginning and I still can't take it seriously. But I will admit, I would like to see Washington with a million Muppets/puppets walking around that were not the usual politicians

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually they are going in support of PBS but I will admit it is getting a bit silly. I thought the whole thing was rather funny in the beginning and I still can't take it seriously. But I will admit, I would like to see Washington with a million Muppets/puppets walking around that were not the usual politicians

Muppets or politicians, they all have someone's hand stuck up them, working their mouth parts.

Yeah, I went there.

Latest Discussions