I became a Martial Artist because...

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are many different reasons why people take up Martial Arts. In my particular case - I've always enjoyed a good fight, and I simply just wanted to be a good fighter. No other reason, really.

Why did you take up Martial Arts, in the first place?

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Because of the groupies and Japanese food....:)

Seriously, interest as a result of the really amazing things my instructor did one day, I had no idea could be done, among other standard things.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My love affair began many years ago with the likes of the series Kung Fu with David Carradine plus the numerous movies of Bruce Lee. I entered the military when I was 18yrs old and dabbled a bit. Upon discharge I visited the only Dojo in town, an Okinawan GoJu DoJo. 40 or so years later I am still fascinated with the ever changing arts. The opportunities, experiences, life long friends, awesome training has made me the person I am today. I got my wife and two children involved early on which helped to bond our family.

OP
Champ-Pain

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy it. It's fun and keeps me in shape.
Steve - Your answer tells me why you do it now, but why did you start, to begin with, before you knew you'd enjoy it and it would keep you in shape?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I started because my best friend was doing it and it looked like fun. I have kept doing it because of the personal challenge and that it is fun.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started because I was interested in the cultural aspects (Japanese/Okinawan), because I wanted to learn self defense and because I wanted to get into better shape. Now I continue because all of those things are still true and I still have fun doing it!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Embarrassed as I am at my age to admit it, how I started in on the martial arts was a pretty cliched route. A friend and I went to see "Enter the Dragon" at the flicks - one week later, of nagging by him for us to go and learn kung fu, I had started on the journey that would eventually put a sword in my hand and lead me to that peaceful place where mushin dwells.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mine's not so exciting. I thought all the kicking and punching in kung-fu movies was cool, and I wanted to do it too. Get my confidence up, and all that good stuff, so I joined my local Taekwondo club, and enjoyed it for years. Then one day, when I was talking to a friend about starting MA together, we thought ninjutsu sounded cool, found a place, and burst into his house-mate's room saying 'Hey man, ya wanna be a NINJA?!'
And it all just kinda went from there :)

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to get beat up a lot when I was a kid. I think it was after watching The Karate Kid, that got my interest. Since, he was a kid that would get bullied I identified with that, AND he becomes THE MAN toward the end. I wanted to be that.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got tired of being beaten up during school(s) and then later used it to help me find my center.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Started out for Self Defense.
Then that evolved into slightly more Intensive Self Defense.
Which then evolved into Combative Ideologies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to read comic books. (1950's) Somewhere in every comic book, there was an ad about Count Dante, "The deadliest man alive". For some reason it tweaked my interest. I was a little kid. I thought, "Wow, that's something." I didn't know exactly what that something was, but I knew it was amazing. (I still feel that way)

In 1963, Ed Parker appeared on "The Lucy Show". That episode (which I just looked up on Google) was called "Lucy and Viv learn Judo". (even though it was Karate) That was it, I was hooked. Oh, man, was I hooked.( big time). It was what I wanted to do, it was ALL I wanted to do.

Years later, I was fortunate to become friends with, and a student of, Master Parker. When I first informed him of how this effected me, he said, "Shh, people might think I'm old!" Damn, he was one hell of a great man.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me though I loved Nico and the old Seagal movies, I think I was made to take a martial art rather than entering particularly willingly. I think my Dad with the best of intentions wanted to ease me out of a wayward teenage nature that no amount of drilling in the boxing gym seemed to be helping with. I do not know if it worked. I love my martial art though. I am glad for being initially coerced into it as I think the old man was right and seemed to know what would fit me.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are many different reasons why people take up Martial Arts. In my particular case - I've always enjoyed a good fight, and I simply just wanted to be a good fighter. No other reason, really.

Why did you take up Martial Arts, in the first place?
Is it ok if I ask, why did you want to be a good fighter?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love to fight and I hate to lose... :)
I understand this. For me, martial art became a catharsis; a way of feeling that I was in control of at least something. And so then can I ask did you fight before you began martial arts?

Latest Discussions