Hurricane Charley

OP
O

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks

Just evacuated 385,000 people from the coastline... all the bridges are gridlocked....

Estimated storm surge 6 - 10 feet.....

Time to buy more Beer!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember a few when we lived in Oldsmar.. kinda weird living below sea level ~! And gee we're never gonna live it down .. my mother n'laws name is Bonnie.. she's been saying for years they would name one for her.. *twitch*

Keep Safe and stock up~!!

D

Disco

Yeah, it really dosen't look very good. The latest estimate on evacuations was over 1,000,000 people. Charlie is going to hit almost the entire west coast. Flooding will most likely be the biggest problem, cause the ground is saturated from all the rain last week. If, repeat, if we make it thru intact, I'll most likely become a former florida resident. Kenpo Tess knew when to leave. Oldnewbie, stay dry brother and find a safe place. After this is over, we should get all the florida people together for a survival party and combination MA's seminar.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
OldNewbie,
Best of luck, stay dry and safe. I'm adding you to the list of people I'm worried about down there--my wife's grandmother in Venice, my cousin who's 7 months pregnant and on bedrest in Tampa, and my parents who are also directly in the path on the east side, Atlantic Beach outside of Jacksonville. My parents were slated to go on a big tour of the Canadian Rockies tomorrow. Doesn't look like that'll happen.

Remember to save at least three days' of water and food for each person with you, and keep some matches dry.

Pete

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grab onto something solid! We're going to get Charley's aftermath up here in a day or so. Expecting Bonnie's remains a bit later today.

Be safe. KT

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good Luck Oldnewbie! I'm thinking about ya! I think the worst is over by now isn't it?

When you sober up from all that beer let us know that you are ok! :)

OP
O

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers....

I am sure you've all heard that Tampa was spared... we did get some nasty weather, but all in all not bad....

Friday afternoon the wife and I were sitting with the kids, expecting to lose it all. We had plywood on the windows, water stored, and could hear the neighbors still cutting wood.... watching the news and seeing the track of the storm... we were to be on the bad side of the storm.... then we saw a tiny shift in the track... the storm would actually come right on top of us.....

what a difference a hour made...

The storm came on shore approx 140 miles south... they had no warning.

And then the center of the state was hit. Again little to no warning...

We were elated to be saved, and yet, we had a strange sense of guilt, we couldn;t put into words...then we saw someone interviewed from the center of the state... they were angry, the newsman was from Tampa, the person said, "This was supposed to be your storm"....

I looked at my wife and she looked at me and we realized that this was what we were feeling.....

So.. we are doing okay...counting our blessings, and trying to do what we can to help those in need.

Thanks again

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
No guilt. I heard from my friend in Orlando quite soon after the hurricane went through. She said they never lost power -- amazing -- and that the damage was minimal to their house. She feels fortunate -- and so should you. KT

Latest Discussions