How would apply the increased-resistance training model to a striking art?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
or replace all of those with one phase, take up boxing
Well if I replaced it with boxing then I wouldn't be doing Jow Ga . I would assume that some of the steps would exist in boxing as well. Even in boxing teaches proper punching and and fist structure. Probably some many of those things would apply to boxing footwork. You try, you screw up, your revisit, and try again until you get it right.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well if I replaced it with boxing then I wouldn't be doing Jow Ga . I would assume that some of the steps would exist in boxing as well. Even in boxing teaches proper punching and and fist structure. Probably some many of those things would apply to boxing footwork. You try, you screw up, your revisit, and try again until you get it right.
don't forget i've done Jow Ga and the punching when it comes to actually fighting looks like bad boxing, if its going to look like boxing you need to make it look like good boxing

boxing is extremely simple, not that you cant spend a lot of time getting very good at the simple movements,, your movements are more complex than that, that's the reason it looks like bad boxing, to many moving parts, that go to hell when your under pressure. if the complexity wont last a bit of pressure, why learn the complexity in the first place ?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if its going to look like boxing you need to make it look like good boxing
If you are doing boxing then yes. If you aren't doing boxing then it won't look like bad boxing. Sometimes things look like bad boxing simply because it's not boxing.

to many moving parts, that go to hell when your under pressure.
This should never happen if the person is training whatever system. This is the trust part that I was referring to in describing how I train and teach. If you bail out of a system simply because you are in high pressure situations then I would say that the training was bad and not sufficient for us. Whatever you train, you have to be able to trust it 100% or you won't be able to use it If you bail out of what you learned just because the aggression of the situation bring doubt that you can use what you train, then your training was probably lacking. 99% chance this is the case.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about the made up yellow bamboo type martial arts. I'm only talking about systems that can be used to fight with.

to many moving parts, that go to hell when your under pressure.
If the person actually knows how to use the components in a free sparring (both light and mid intensity levels) then they should be able to use those same techniques when the fight comes. If you want to fight with things like kung fu then the techniques have to become part of you. It has to be as natural as breathing.

I've often find that people make martial arts like kung fu, karate, and other types of martial arts more complicated than it is. Hollywood has made many of these systems, magical and when people take them, they are expecting Hollywood results. I know form me, the most difficult thing with kung fu was to get rid of that Hollywood representation of kung fu and to get rid of my idea of how Kung Fu "is supposed to look".

Things became easier after I was able to destroy those 2 walls and the system as a whole became less complicated.. Fewer movements improves the learning rate and the person will reach application level sooner. Someone who is learning how to fight with punches and kicks will take longer to reach the application level compared to boxing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
don't forget i've done Jow Ga and the punching when it comes to actually fighting looks like bad boxing,
I know what you mean about this. I don't like it either. I always refer to this as "bailing out" of ones systems. Train 10 years of a fighting system only to throw it away when it comes to a fight looking like bad boxing or basic kung fu.

If you ever want to see me lay into someone about fighting and training. Then this is where I'll be. As an instructor, this is like a sin. If you train Karate use Karate. If you train Tai Chi, then use Tai Chi. If you train kung fu, but only use boxing in sparring, then I'm going to have a freaking fit and turn into that crazy instructor who is pissed off like someone stole something. I'm not a total monster. A student has about a week of doing this crap before I get fed up. lol.

Sparring is an excellent opportunity to learn how to do something but so many people bail out even during sparring. I'm getting frustrated just talking about it lol.

Latest Discussions