How Wing Chun is supposed to look...in my book

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand this, are you questioning why a system would teach an unarmed person to defend against an armed attack such as a knife?

Again, I'm not sure I understand this. If you train an art that spars you are training to defend an attack from an experienced fighter. Any sportive system like judo for example trains you how to defend against a skilled fighter. If you can handle a skilled fighter you can handle an unskilled fighter but the reverse is not true.

No because the unskilled fighter will resort to any type of stuff.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the ones you might choose against a skilled fighter are not necessarily the ones you might make against an unskilled one.
Agree!

If you raise your guard to invite kick, or drop your guard to invite punch, an experience fighter can see your opening and take your bait. If you use it on an un-experienced fighter, he may not even be able to read your opening.

I'm a very good Mahjong player. When I have a hand of (1, 3, 5), if I play with an

- experienced player, I would discard 5 and expect 2 and set up my trap.
- un-experience player, I would discard 1 and expect 4. Since he may not even understand my trap, I won't bother to set up that trap, It will be much safer for me because it's much safer to discard 1 than to discard 5 in the Mahjong game (take less risk for me).

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You do it. Im not the one making claims that I know EVERY MMA fighter around the world and I know what they are trained in. Thats you so you do it

Not to mention MMA is a sport not real life so..........
Yeah, go ahead and post some videos of aikido not being represented in the cage.

Wait. That's a silly request. Can we all pull back just a little and stop picking fights with each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, go ahead and post some videos of aikido not being represented in the cage.

Wait. That's a silly request. Can we all pull back just a little and stop picking fights with each other?

Hey Steve, what you do you if I insulted you, ain't gonna happen, but still. Where do you draw the draw the line with insults to you're BJJ? Same with me

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that the fact that Joe Rogan, who is a legend in his own lunchtime, is so anti WC calling it at best ineffective and at worse a scam, has a lot to do with how the MMA fan boys think of WC. Personally I have no time for him, he pointlessly upset a friend of mine last year which lead to his fans hurling a huge amount of abuse at her plus he takes dugs as well as advocating the use of drugs such as cannabis, 'magic' mushrooms and DMT. I don't think 'sharing' his opinion and making it sound like fact should be part of his job description when chuntering at the UFC fight nights.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah well that's probably because you're smarter and a deeper thinker than me!
Nope just plain old common sense. I train is several arts so I train MMA, so put Goju, Judo, Aikido on the list of positives for MMA representations. I've done some BJJ as well so add it on there. I know a TKD school that added bjj to its school so there is another MMA art represented. I know an MMA school that has Judo, Hapkido, BJJ, and Muay T. So add it to the list. There is a Kung Fu school about 20 miles from me that also teaches BJJ so add Kung Fu. I know a TKD school that also teaches Capoeria so add that one. So lost of arts are represented in MMA. I can keep going if you want and that's just here. Let's not even get into entire other continents like Europe I can even attempt to pretend I know all the combos over there or Asia so........

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that the fact that Joe Rogan, who is a legend in his own lunchtime, is so anti WC calling it at best ineffective and at worse a scam, has a lot to do with how the MMA fan boys think of WC. Personally I have no time for him, he pointlessly upset a friend of mine last year which lead to his fans hurling a huge amount of abuse at her plus he takes dugs as well as advocating the use of drugs such as cannabis, 'magic' mushrooms and DMT. I don't think 'sharing' his opinion and making it sound like fact should be part of his job description when chuntering at the UFC fight nights.
Not sure who you're referring to here, but I've already mentioned that I'm not an MMA fanboy, don't follow it, don't train it. I think you're taking analysis and criticism as personal insults. I've mentioned several times that wc has value, you guys gloss right over that.
Nope just plain old common sense. I train is several arts so I train MMA, so put Goju, Judo, Aikido on the list of positives for MMA representations. I've done some BJJ as well so add it on there. I know a TKD school that added bjj to its school so there is another MMA art represented. I know an MMA school that has Judo, Hapkido, BJJ, and Muay T. So add it to the list. There is a Kung Fu school about 20 miles from me that also teaches BJJ so add Kung Fu. I know a TKD school that also teaches Capoeria so add that one. So lost of arts are represented in MMA. I can keep going if you want and that's just here. Let's not even get into entire other continents like Europe I can even attempt to pretend I know all the combos over there or Asia so........
I figured you meant in some ridiculous way like that. But please do go on, I'm sure you love to hear yourself talk.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I figured you meant in some ridiculous way like that. But please do go on, I'm sure you love to hear yourself talk.
Am I wrong. Is that not MMA? Nothing ridiculous about it. I train it and use it in the real world as a cop on the streets with out a ref, or corner crews, or time limits.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You do it. Im not the one making claims that I know EVERY MMA fighter around the world and I know what they are trained in. Thats you so you do it.

Well that's the point, Aikido is pretty nonexistent in MMA.

There goes your argument.

Not to mention MMA is a sport not real life so..........

Yeah, but based on your previous argument, its the person not the style. So we should be seeing some Aikido practitioners doing their art in the octagon.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey Steve, what you do you if I insulted you, ain't gonna happen, but still. Where do you draw the draw the line with insults to you're BJJ? Same with me
Anymore, I'd just report the post of its a direct insult to me. If it's a critique of Bjj I would either ignore it or respond to the critique. There's been plenty of bagging on Bjj lately and it really doesn't bother me at all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Training in several arts isn't Mma. Mma is a sport that means something pretty specific.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Training in several arts isn't Mma. Mma is a sport that means something pretty specific.

Says who? I mix all my arts up and use what I like at that time. Just because I don't play games with it doesn't mean it's not MMA

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Says who? I mix all my arts up and use what I like at that time. Just because I don't play games with it doesn't mean it's not MMA
It actually does. Mma is a sport. You can train in multiple arts and blend them together but Mma remains a sport.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like I said, its not there. Even Aikidoka say its not there. So I'm curious what the heck you're even talking about.
Ok well this isn't an aikido thread and I don't really care. You were given the hint it's out there look for it or don't.

Latest Discussions