How Wing Chun is supposed to look...in my book

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed on Hawkins. Excellent WC.
On catching someone's kick being out of the picture. Happens often in Muay Thai but I don't support the manner he does in this video. You do realize this was a demo and not a full out attack? Like the very weak shoot to simulate a take-down attempt and the pulling of punches and his kick.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, its a demo.....

Let's see this guy fight in a cage and pull that stuff off. That would be impressive.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, what do you mean by "out of the picture"? Just not in your Wing Chun? Catching kicks is not at all impractical. Muay Thai, Sanda...

However, there's no way this little guy would step into a hopping sidekick and just take it on his chest without getting his ribs crushed. Even a bigger guy wouldn't be able to do that against anyone with powerful kicks. Timing would never make it a good idea.

There was a whole lot of theatrics in this clip.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, what do you mean by "out of the picture"? Just not in your Wing Chun? Catching kicks is not at all impractical. Muay Thai, Sanda...

However, there's no way this little guy would step into a hopping sidekick and just take it on his chest without getting his ribs crushed. Even a bigger guy wouldn't be able to do that against anyone with powerful kicks. Timing would never make it a good idea.

There was a whole lot of theatrics in this clip.

Well yeah. Think you are being a tad harsh. It is clearly a demo after all. It would be theatrical. The big fella with any intent, would have tried to pick him up.

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like the very weak shoot to simulate a take-down attempt and the pulling of punches and his kick.

Agreed. It bothers the hell out of me when you have someone shoot in from like fifty feet away to simulate a takedown attempt.

Fog565

White Belt
Reaction score
The guy is clearly using other techniques that aren't typical of WC. Which is not a bad thing. Catching a kick is not out of the question at all. Especially if your opponent isn't a good kicker. Like all demos...its a demo.The man has skill for sure, but I'm certain the situation would be different if it were actual combat.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yea that would be impressive being Hawkins is in his seventies!

I'm sure he has plenty of WC students who can take his place.

The point is, everything looks great in demos.

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, its a demo.....

Let's see this guy fight in a cage and pull that stuff off. That would be impressive.
To be fair, most of the stuff he's doing here I've seen in MMA bouts. Other than the one-inch punch at the end, what techniques do you find particularly outlandish about this vid?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure he has plenty of WC students who can take his place.

The point is, everything looks great in demos.
Oh, I agree. Already said as much with my question to poster; "you do realize this is a demo."

Hawkins has had some of his student in mma competitions.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, its a demo.....

Alan Orrs guys fight in a cage. That's his teachers teacher. Your right that is a demo. But he's one of the few direct IP Man students that teaches real useful structure Or WC IMO.

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
The guy is clearly using other techniques that aren't typical of WC. Which is not a bad thing. Catching a kick is not out of the question at all. Especially if your opponent isn't a good kicker. Like all demos...its a demo.The man has skill for sure, but I'm certain the situation would be different if it were actual combat.

Your opinion! My opinion is Wing Chun is an art that really is damned if they do and damned if they don't. People, mostly internet armchair warriors have a perception of what it should or shouldn't look like. Without really having any practical experience with the art or fighting in general.

Latter part is a general statement not directed at you personally. I don't know you and the rest of the post I agree with.

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Machida and Anderson Silva pulled off the crane kick UFC cage . That was impressive! Yeah Bro! Now I gotta go put on my flat bil hat tap out shirt and drive my lifted truck. Yeaaaah broooo!

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be fair, most of the stuff he's doing here I've seen in MMA bouts. Other than the one-inch punch at the end, what techniques do you find particularly outlandish about this vid?

You are correct that you see punching, kicking, and throwing in MMA. However Wing Chun is never the style those kicks, punches, and throws are coming from.

Why? I don't know.

Which is why seeing a WC exponent utilizing those techniques in a dominant fashion in a MMA format would be impressive.

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are correct that you see punching, kicking, and throwing in MMA. However Wing Chun is never the style those kicks, punches, and throws are coming from.

Why? I don't know.

Which is why seeing a WC exponent utilizing those techniques in a dominant fashion in a MMA format would be impressive.
All the top level guys take a little from any art which will be useful to them these days. Imo wing chun techniques are not as completely absent from MMA as is widely supposed. Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida both use chi sau as part of their training, Frankie Edgar used chain punches a lot earlier in his career, Caol Uno used a variation of bong sau defensively, Forest Griffin and Ronda Rousey are both big fans of using a high man sau to intercept overhand punches and Greg Nelson uses hand trapping principles when training g'n'p strategies to his fighters. Admittedly, with the exeption of Silva, Machida or Nelson, these people may not realise they're doing wing chun . . . but they are.
For a more direct if slightly less high profile example, check out Alan Orr and his Iron Wolves team.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the top level guys take a little from any art which will be useful to them these days. Imo wing chun techniques are not as completely absent from MMA as is widely supposed. Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida both use chi sau as part of their training, Frankie Edgar used chain punches a lot earlier in his career, Caol Uno used a variation of bong sau defensively, Forest Griffin and Ronda Rousey are both big fans of using a high man sau to intercept overhand punches and Greg Nelson uses hand trapping principles when training g'n'p strategies to his fighters. Admittedly, with the exeption of Silva, Machida or Nelson, these people may not realise they're doing wing chun . . . but they are.
For a more direct if slightly less high profile example, check out Alan Orr and his Iron Wolves team.

It continues to amaze me just how many elements of differing arts seem to be not that different if you see what I mean. Either that or MMA fighters are just so adept at picking things up, or just trained that way. Suppose it is all about concepts and what works in the octagon, regardless where that technique came from. Must watch more MMA next year.

Latest Discussions