How to tell the good schools from the bad?

J

Jim1

I live on the Gulf Coast and I'm interested in Tae Kwon-Do. However after browsing this forum I've heard a lot about bad Tae Kwon-Do schools. Does anyone have any tips on how to spot the good and the bad schools?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya Jim. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice on here. So I'll keep it short and sweet.

Stear clear of instructors who say "I can beat up that guy" or "I'm better than that guy".

Stay away from schools that promise a black belt in 2 years.

If you want sport TKD, that's cool. But if you don't, ask about their self defense.

Stay away from schools that have 6 to 8 year old black belts.

Anyone wanna add to this? I'm tired. I can't think LOL

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If TKD is your thing then go for it. But it's like buying a car. Number 1 Don't buy the first thing you see.
Number 2 Ask to take a test drive. Meaning see if you can do a free class or two. If you don't like it after the test drive move on.
Number 3 Don't buy the cheapest thing you can find, You might be getting something that sucks. Also Don't buy the most expensive again you may pay big bucks but may also suck. Price doesn't make the art.
Number 4 If you have any friends that do Martial Arts ask them what style they do. Where do they go for classes.
Good luck in your Quest.
Bob :asian:

OP
B

Bagatha

I would say stay away from schools that make you sign a contract, this is usually because they cant keep students and/or they are more money grabbers than martial artists. You should have the luxury of paying monthly. Trying a class is the best way I think, talk is cheap, everyone thinks they are the best and will promise you everything under the sun, I say show me what youve got. If you ask them things like "whats the difference between TKD and........" and they start to say bad things about other Martial arts, that to me is a warning sign. Happy training.

OP
J

Jim1

Ug...I just checked out the Koast Karate Klub (nice initials ;) ).

It's pretty unorderly. People are talking, messing with their hair, and while I expect the white belts to be out of order, even the red and black belts form was horrible.

I'm going to check one of the few remaining schools in my area today. Hopefully it will be more professional...

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Bagatha

I would say stay away from schools that make you sign a contract, this is usually because they cant keep students and/or they are more money grabbers than martial artists. You should have the luxury of paying monthly. Trying a class is the best way I think, talk is cheap, everyone thinks they are the best and will promise you everything under the sun, I say show me what youve got. If you ask them things like "whats the difference between TKD and........" and they start to say bad things about other Martial arts, that to me is a warning sign. Happy training.

Sorry to argue with you Bagatha, but MOST schools around here
require contracts. I haven't seen one yet that didn't require one.
My school's contract is for 6 months minimum, and then requires
that you give 2 months notice before stopping payment. My old
TKD school gave you a choice between a 1 year, or a 2 year
contract. Most that I've seen or heard about had a 1 year
contract. IMO, 2 years is too much. EVERYONE joins a school
with good, long term intentions. But not everyone stays. At
my school, I'd say 20% stick around. Plus, you don't know what's
going to happen in a 2 year period. What if you move, get
transfered, etc? I don't begrudge a professional martial artist,
who's making his living by running a school the right to earn an
income, so I can understand the use of contracts. Just some are
better than others.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

I don't begrudge a professional martial artist,
who's making his living by running a school the right to earn an
income, so I can understand the use of contracts.

Agreed--I don't like them myself but they do provide a steadier and more predictable income flow for the school owner and frankly they make it harder to leave so students who might or might not stay have some incentive to give things a longer try.

OP
B

bscastro

When looking for a school, I think you have to measure what you want out of it. You mentioned one school being disorderly. If that is important to you, then obviously that is not a school to go to. However, I have seen some classes or schools which are more informal (not to be mistaken for disorderly) where people chat at times, but they are good martial artists.

I think one thing would be to see if you could participate in their class for a week or so. Do that at a couple schools and see which one you like. Sometimes, it's hard to find out without actually getting into the class and seeing what it's like to be instructed or to work with the other students.

In any case, good luck finding a school.

Bryan

OP
B

Bagatha

Originally posted by arnisador

Agreed--I don't like them myself but they do provide a steadier and more predictable income flow for the school owner and frankly they make it harder to leave so students who might or might not stay have some incentive to give things a longer try.

To me that read that the school cant keep students otherwise....I mean I am prob wrong, but I would never personally sign a contract. 6 months isnt to bad, but year long contracts are just too long.

Kirk, like you said, lots of things can happen and you need some room, injuries, pregnancy, relocation,there are many things that can happen. I have heard too many horror stories about something happening, and the school wouldnt refund money for the unused months. You just cant be too carefull nowadays. With all the McDojos out there, I need more payment options. I need the flexibility of running away from a club that looks great at first, but turns out to be a dud. Different folks different strokes I guess.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
this thread has some good info...

anyone else got info on how to find a really good TKD school?

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1. Find an instructor you like. When you walk in, are you happy to see the instructor? It's OK to not like an instructor because you walk in and go, "oh no, we are going to have a tough class w/ Mr, Ms...". Look at how they act before and after class: are they personable; do they interact w/ people in a friendly manner. You will be spending a lot of time with the instructor. This also applies to the assistant instructors.

2. Are the assistant instructors competent? Do they do things like the head instructor or do they go off on their own. When they teach something incorrectly, how does the head instructor react? Does he brow beat them into submission or correct them, show you and let it go? You may be an assistant instructor someday and that could be you.

Finally contracts...I think contracts are good but I like options. Most of the schools I've been in, have month-to-month, 6 months, or year programs. Some also offer Black Belt Clubs, which are multi-year contracts that pay for your training up to your 1st degree belt. The most important benefit is cost. Some schools monthly cost will decrease as you extend the contract out.

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good info, if I could add some.
1) Ask if classes are open to watch. If they are watch the classes, if they aren't what are they hiding?
2) Ask the head instructor questions. How open is he to answering what you want? Does he give you a run around.
3) Check to make sure they are certified through some governing body. Majority of TKD schools will be certified through some national and then world organization. Not saying ones that aren't are bad, just be a little more careful with them. As well see if the instructors are certified in first aid. Injuries do and will happen.
4) Talk to students see how they enjoy their classes.
5) Ask to if they allow trial sessions or classes
6) Ask about their business. Payment options, contracts etc . . . Contracts are not bad, but make sure you have an out if the need arises. IE) Moving, major injury, act of god . . . Just not coming to classes cause you're tired shouldn't be an excuse however.
7) Compare all of these to other schools in the area.
8) If any of the above feels wrong for some reason no matter what. Get outta dodge, cause it's not right for you.

Hope that helps, anyone anything else to add?

OP
D

Disco

What is your pleasure? You want sport or self defense? There is a big difference. If the dojang has all sorts of trophies all over the place, it's sport orientated. Self defense training is not a priority. If your intent is toward self defense training, you'll be hard pressed to find a TKD school that leans in that direction. There out there mind you, but just hard to find. You can learn some self defense from the sport schools, but you'll have to encourage that path with your instructor and fellow students. As for contracts, I know the schools need them to stay afloat, but I would shy away from any long termers. One school had what I thought was a very good idea. They had 4 choices. #1- yearly contract / lowest pricing, #2 - 6 month contract / little higher priced, #3 - a 3 month contract / Little higher price and #4 - monthly payments / highest price. Seemed to work well for everybody. Just a little input, hope it's of some help.
:asian:

OP
S

Shiatsu

Well I believe that instructor makes the school.. The best instructor I ever had(wasn't TKD) was in a old warehouse type building. Not really nice facilities. But he did it to keep the cost down. I don't believe in contracts at all. It can cause to much negative feelings for a martial arts school. If the student is getting out of it, what they want out of it, and it is helping them become a better person, then I believe they will find a way to pay. I teach at a health club, on a military base, so I don't pay anything for overhead. So my students pay 15 dollars a month. I don't make them pay for belt tests. Just pay for the belt. Find a instructor that is interested in you. And your expectaations. To often schools that are completely evolved around competing, leave much to be desired. Not everyone wants to compete. But everyone does want to learn how to defend themselves:asian:

OP
S

Shinzu

take a trial class. most quality instructors have no problem with you trying it out first. they are confident that you will like what you learn.

stay away from showoffs. it is obvious that the instructor is good, but i hate when they like to show everyone else up.... not the martial way at all!

Latest Discussions