how to increase the heigh of your back kicks

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Two additions:
1. One way to work the leg motion in isolation is to get on the floor on all fours--knees and elbows. Then shift your hip to take the weight off one knee and kick that heel toward the ceiling, aiming as far up behind you, in the direction of your head as you can. Your kicking knee should begin beside the other knee, come toward your chest as you chamber, then extend high. Practicing this motion will also help you discover what is limiting your motion as the position limits your spine movement. Muscle strength is related to flexibility, and you are still developing many muscles along with your coordination.
2. Reaching high with a back kick also requires flexibility on the front of you leg--your quads and hip flexors. Work on quad stretches and front splits

Not arguing the method but swinging up while on all fours can hyperextend your quads & hip flexor tendons if not warmed up and could lead to lower back issues. When you back kick your leg is supposed to be paralell with your body or a little higher depending on extention. Most people turn it into a side kick for extra height.
Don't try to go too high. Groin level works great for self defense (if they are behind you, at a distance(I do not advocate turning ypour back in real self defense)) and body is all you need for sparring.

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Groin level works great for self defense (if they are behind you, at a distance(I do not advocate turning ypour back in real self defense)) and body is all you need for sparring.

Sometimes back kick to the jaw or chin works well too though.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why are you learning this kick as a white belt?

One of my seniors teaches back kick in the trial lesson stage. When I asked him why he said it is easy to teach and easy to learn, which gets the prospective student excited and wanting to join.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
i do it just like this
kwonkicker is awesome by the wya!

He doesn't throw the tightest back kick but there is something about him that I like. I watched some of his other videos and there are small things here or there that I would like to fix, but again, I enjoy watching him kick.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Msmitht is a great resource for kicking skill as he can actually kick. (I have seen him) :)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lots of good stuff on the video. I would offer the following:

1. Don't be concerned with what people here call the spinning back kick or not terminology varies. Finf out what the Instructor wants.
2. Once you know what the instructor wants and can perform that ay with some degree of competence and have some more experience, you can experiment with variations to suit certain circumstances.
3. I would not teach a newbie to move the lead leg forward before they kick. I teach them to spin on the ball of the lead foot foot. This provides a neutral distancing foundation from which you can learn to move that foot forward or back as needed.
4. If you are sparring with rules allowing punches to the head, would not keep my hands the way they are in the video.

See also: http://371078645507472465-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/ntkdacad/files/TotallyTKD_Issue06_Master_Weiss.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cp9LGCsdZxWJdPuMJTeIaW5_hvsEBaKQ5pboVOVXYVziFxRBm6m7PoKJjwCiYCYwFqKTJe8fiTa65ZGdojBlzNOKpmGeIjm4aZeTC2SBpN8QVDJABNIUcfaff3mQABL9QrWeoGgaezJOwma1I4QwQK5QWoERlly05tWGHb5ffztTlPllYOxEFQMcW0VcQiGZS3wkArbnWr1hHdOoURg5SHUw_mlCrQYyYUGkivwwcef-fl5Jys%3D&attredirects=0

Latest Discussions