Grading tonight

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tonight my wife and daughter grade for 2nd gup and my son grades for 7th gup. I have to sit up the front with all the black belts and watch. Ive just realised I think I get more nervous watching my kids grade then when I grade. I know they know their stuff, but one slip up and they fail which can be quite detrimental to their confidence, especially being so young. I think they have added pressure because their father is a black belt and people expect them to be that extra bit good. My daughter is also very small for her age and there are some very aggressive little kids grading around her belt level tonight, so she will have to be good to pass. I can only imagine how nervous I would be watching their black belt grading. Anyhow, time to suit up and head to the grading hall. Do the other parents out there get nervous watching their kids grade?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know they know their stuff, but one slip up and they fail which can be quite detrimental to their confidence, especially being so young.

Really? I don't know any examiners that would fail a student for a slip up?!

The masters I know completely accept that students are people first and Taekwondoin second and that nerves play a part in their performance under test conditions.

If the student isn't putting in effort, thinking they can breeze through it - fail them (I've seen that happen once). If they aren't ready beforehand - don't recommend them to test. If they make a mistake and either can't remember it or get something slightly wrong, but still perform to the best of their ability and demonstrate good spirit - then pass them.

Particularly children, most examiners understand that children make mistakes and get very nervous and that promotions aren't like you're giving them a licence to drive on the roads where people can get killed - they're on a journey of self-discovery and self-improvement and it's our job as instructors to help them get there.

I'm just surprised that it's either like that at your school or you think it's like that. Has your head instructor said this directly to you or are you inferring that's what he's likely to do?

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Agree ^^^^^ When I test students, I'm testing them on what I see that night, but, also what I've seen them do in regards to working on the test itself. Everyone gets nervous and makes mistakes on tests. It's part of training.

To fail a student, especially a child, for one slip-up is a little extreme and you're correct Ralph, it can be VERY detrimental to a kids training & confidence and may even cost you a student to boot.

Michael

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We never test until we pass a mock test in class. Little slip ups during the real test are ignored. Major slip ups (i.e. stopping in the middle of a pattern) and they're allowed to try again. I've even seen a student taken to the back with a junior instructor to work out their kink before returning to the test.

Anyway, good luck to your wife and kids. I'm sure they'll do great.

I do somewhat get nervous when my son tests, but since we test together, during the test I don't even think about it.

Rick

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do the other parents out there get nervous watching their kids grade?

In replying to one point I forgot to answer your main question...

No, I don't really get nervous. Generally this is because I've worked with him (until two weeks time it's only my son that trains with me) in the weeks leading up to it and I know he's ready. I'm always more excited/ready to congratulate him than nervous.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ralph I am with others on this one mess up should not warrent a failing grade for students. My test is more about if they can put it all together on a single timeframe. I have been grading them for months inside class and only test when I know they can handle the next rank.

As far as geting nervous yea alot when they where younger but over the years I have come to know that they really do know the material and I know for sure I have given them the tools to succeed in TKD and life.

OP
R

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We will allow a slip up in sparring or even timber breaking if its a good student who trains hard and regularly. It is a slip up in form that will cause a fail. Our club is quite forgiving with most things but pretty strict when it comes to form. Unfortunately from what Ive seen of kids who dont train enough it is usually form where the nerves and lack of preparation will bring them undone. Generally, if the students have good form and dont 'slip up' during form they will pass. We wont get results till monday but Im sure all 3 passed, they did really well. We went out for dinner afterwards and my instructor told a few of the black belts that out of the 50 students who graded only one failed. He wont let a student thats not ready grade so generally most students pass. Black belt is different.

ryuu55

White Belt
Reaction score
We had grading last night, 6-9PM, two going for 7th gup/kyu, one going for 5th gup/kyu & one going for 4th gup/kyu. Our two testing for 7th gup/kyu did better then their seniors. The kids were all around the same age, but those yellow belts were better prepared and wanted it more than the two blue belts. Due to bad weather we had to postpone the fighting until tomorrow night... I hope that the two blue belts get their focus back they've been with us for about four years now, I'd hate for them to lose their drive. I wish them all good luck.

@ralphmcpherson I wish your family good luck, and that their training pays off for them tonight as well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight my wife and daughter grade for 2nd gup and my son grades for 7th gup. I have to sit up the front with all the black belts and watch. Ive just realised I think I get more nervous watching my kids grade then when I grade. I know they know their stuff, but one slip up and they fail which can be quite detrimental to their confidence, especially being so young. I think they have added pressure because their father is a black belt and people expect them to be that extra bit good. My daughter is also very small for her age and there are some very aggressive little kids grading around her belt level tonight, so she will have to be good to pass. I can only imagine how nervous I would be watching their black belt grading. Anyhow, time to suit up and head to the grading hall. Do the other parents out there get nervous watching their kids grade?

I'm sure they all did great, and that congratulations are now in order. :)

In April, my son tested for 6th geup, my wife and daughter tested for 5th. I would say I was excited and happy for them, but not really nervous.

My feeling (and it fits very nicely with the philosophy of the school) is there is no test. It's just a demonstration. You're tested each and every day, and you're not given an application until you're already demonstrating that you can and do perform at the next level. Yes, nerves come into play and mistakes are made. That's merely a side effect of being human. People have had to make multiple attempts on a break, or ask for a do-over on their poomse. That will decrease your score, but probably will not keep them from passing.

Latest Discussions