How to develop your MA techniques?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you want to develop a technique A, you have to force yourself to use "only A" in the ring (or on the mat) for the next 6 months (or 1 year, or ...). After you can use A successfully against N different opponents (N = 7, 10, 15, ...), you start to use A to set up B. You then try to use AB combo for the next 6 months (or 1 year, or ...).

You can then get into

- AB, AC, AD, ... or
- ABC, ABD, ABE, ...

depending your personal preference. At the same time, you also try to find out different "entering strategies" for your initial technique A.

What's your opinion about this MA skill development approach?

CMA_tree.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Concept is good. Too rigid though. Hit A when the opportunity presents. Not jump st hit A all the time forgoing everything else.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Concept is good. Too rigid though. Hit A when the opportunity presents. Not jump st hit A all the time forgoing everything else.
IMO, to "forget everything else" is a must. When you can apply technique A in all situations, you can then understand technique A completely.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO, to "forget everything else" is a must. When you can apply technique A in all situations, you can then understand technique A completely.

That's assuming the technique you are working on can and should be used in all situations, which is very rare.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's assuming the technique you are working on can and should be used in all situations, which is very rare.
That mean you have to create opportunity to make your technique work. This method may not work for defense and counter fighter. You have to use footwork to force your opponent to move with you. You have to "give" before you can "take".

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want to develop a technique A, you have to force yourself to use "only A" in the ring (or on the mat) for the next 6 months (or 1 year, or ...). After you can use A successfully against N different opponents (N = 7, 10, 15, ...), you start to use A to set up B. You then try to use AB combo for the next 6 months (or 1 year, or ...).

You can then get into

- AB, AC, AD, ... or
- ABC, ABD, ABE, ...

depending your personal preference. At the same time, you also try to find out different "entering strategies" for your initial technique A.

CMA_tree.jpg
i think your over thinking this! Your description echoes the infinite amount of monkeys on type writer given an infinite amount of time. Tma suffers from to many techniques that achieve much the same thing, if your devoting a year to each variation then it will take you many decades before you come close to having a,well rounded game

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i think your over thinking this! Your description echoes the infinite amount of monkeys on type writer given an infinite amount of time. Tma suffers from to many techniques that achieve much the same thing, if your devoting a year to each variation then it will take you many decades before you come close to having a,well rounded game
That is true anyway. :D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is true anyway. :D
but its not a good way to go about it, depending on your starting age and,assuming your an,adult and you apply yourself, you are going to be as good as you ever will be at fighting in three to five years. Spending decades trying to perfect techniques only to be as good as you could have been in half a decade, is an inefficient use of time

if it takes longer than that, there is,something wrong with you, the,style or the instruction

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, when you are trying to apply a single technique to every situation, you are missing the real learning, which is about recognizing what's available, rather than forcing what you want to use. If forcing a technique were an appropriate approach, we'd only need about 3: one punch, one kick, one takedown, then just use whichever one produces the result you want, regardless of the situation.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but its not a good way to go about it, depending on your starting age and,assuming your an,adult and you apply yourself, you are going to be as good as you ever will be at fighting in three to five years. Spending decades trying to perfect techniques only to be as good as you could have been in half a decade, is an inefficient use of time

if it takes longer than that, there is,something wrong with you, the,style or the instruction
The only thing I can disagree with here is the timeline, and that's probably just a difference in hours per week. A hobbyist (2-3 classes per week, plus some fitness) should be able to get to well-rounded fighting competence in under a decade. I've never met anyone who hit their peak in 3-5 years, though surely some do if they commit to heavier training and more fitness work. Even those, though - if they kept that up - should be able to continue to improve, assuming their body holds up.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old saying said, "It doesn't matter how many techniques that you know. It matters how well that you can master just one single technique."

If you can master just a single technique such as:

- hook punch,
- side kick,
- foot sweep,
- single leg,

Anybody on earth who wants to learn that technique will come to you. You will be a master of that technique.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only thing I can disagree with here is the timeline, and that's probably just a difference in hours per week. A hobbyist (2-3 classes per week, plus some fitness) should be able to get to well-rounded fighting competence in under a decade. I've never met anyone who hit their peak in 3-5 years, though surely some do if they commit to heavier training and more fitness work. Even those, though - if they kept that up - should be able to continue to improve, assuming their body holds up.
five years of practise is some where inthe region of a 500 to a thousands hours, if you haven't reached a good level of proficiency in that time you never will.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
five years of practise is some where inthe region of a 500 to a thousands hours, if you haven't reached a good level of proficiency in that time you never will.
It depends where they start, and how intense the training is. Spacing training apart that far (2 classes a week, missing some for vacations) doesn't foster the same speed of development as putting those 500 to 1,000 hours inside half as many weeks, but certainly someone who comes in from a reasonable starting point should be able to reach that in 5 years.

What I was referring to when I said under 10 years is the "well rounded" part. Of course, that's vaguely defined, so you and I may simply be looking at different levels to fit that phrasing. I should also say that the under 10 years was just a point I pulled to contrast the decades mentioned by someone else (in other words, not "decades", but "under a decade").

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old saying said, "It doesn't matter how many techniques that you know. It matters how well that you can master just one single technique."

- hook punch,
- side kick,
- foot sweep,
- single leg,

Anybody on earth who wants to learn that technique will come to you. You will be a master of that technique.
Only if they are aware of your mastery of it, and that seems unlikely outside a local area, except perhaps if you became known for being the one to coach winning competitors on that one thing (like a "short-game" coach for golf, though that's not nearly so specialized as to be a single technique).

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score

You can then get into

- AB, AC, AD, ... or
- ABC, ABD, ABE, ...

CMA_tree.jpg

Nice post you should have joined me in my post here - *** UFC - THE ART OF THE FIGHT ***

By reading post #1,3, and 11

Your input would draw better conversation.

To pick one I would go with - - ABC, ABD, ABE, ...

But you first develop a plan that fits your body type and mechanics and physical condition then you begin conditioning and strengthening including skill building and methods of employment the how to's or tactics and strategies.

You can use a simple tool like a S.W.O.T Analysis the help define the areas to work on in stages like this.........

SWOT-Analysis-Matrix-Template.png

I could discuss more but join me by copying and pasting if you like here:- *** UFC - THE ART OF THE FIGHT ***

Then I will get into some meaty discussion with you if you want to or continue your thread here up to you.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not true, A few good pointers, can change their whole world. Where are you getting this idea?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not true, A few good pointers, can change their whole world. Where are you getting this idea?
i said before if you cant do it in that time frame, there is something wrong with them or the style or the instructor,

if after you have laboured away for five whole years, a few pointers suddenly make a difference then th instruction is very suspect

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If forcing a technique were an appropriate approach, we'd only need about 3: one punch, one kick, one takedown, then just use whichever one produces the result you want, regardless of the situation.
If you can "force" your technique A to work, you can lead your opponent into an area that you are more familiar with than he does.

For example, if you drag a striker in circle, you may force him to play your grappling game earlier than he really wants to.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

- hook punch,
- side kick,
- foot sweep,
- single leg,

Yeah but one does not just walk into mordor.

You need a whole range of techniques to apply that one technique effectively.

Latest Discussions