How to approach my previous instructor that I want to attend another school

kenc.sdq

White Belt
Reaction score
I practiced FMA under my instructor two years ago and stopped attended due to an new job. I haven't returned since but want to inform him I am planning to study another form of martial art. How should I approach this? It's been almost two years since I visited the school.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You studied briefly and haven't been their student for two years. Why do you think you need to tell them, and why do you think they care?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you feel a need to inform him that you want to start somewhere new? They likely have assumed already that you moved on.

OP
K

kenc.sdq

White Belt
Reaction score
You studied briefly and haven't been their student for two years. Why do you think you need to tell them, and why do you think they care?

I agree to your statement to some degree but there is more to the story. He helped me find a job through someone who know. But I quit after 3 months on the job due to the workload. Looking back I blame myself. So I don't know how he will take it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it’s fine whichever way you go.

Maybe write him a handwritten letter, thanking him etc. I’ve lost a lot of things over the years. But I saved every letter students ever wrote me.

I don’t even know why.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like mild guilt loyalty. Nothing with that but not as necessary as it may feel. If it clears your conscience write him/her a letter as @Buka suggested. The main thing is to keep working out.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll look at it from the instructor's POV (which is what I think Buka did). If an old student of mine had asked for help finding a job, and I'd helped them find one, then they later reached out to let me know they were starting some new training, I'd consider I probably had a positive impact on that person, and that's why they're reaching out. I'd like that.

A letter is a good idea. For someone like me, an email would be about 80% as nice (not as fun to save those, but I'd still appreciate it). A personal visit might feel awkward to you, and probably has less impact than the letter.

D

Deleted member 34973

I think most instructors understand, that a specific system, doesn't appeal to everyone.

You have integrity, that much is obvious. I think that if and when you speak to them about it, he/she will appreciate that.

Do not be afraid, to speak about that which you do not enjoy or disagree with. You don't want to get into the negatives much, and simply saying it's not a good fit for you, should be enough.

Good luck

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me the personal visit would mean more. It may not have the physically historical implications (my grey mind would appreciate something to go back and read) but the effort and stature to show up in person would go a very long way.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't have to tell him anything. I don't go and tell the cafe that I went to last week that I'm going to a different cafe this week.

Latest Discussions