How the Japanese view of the black belt

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's not going to happen in the USA which is supposed to be ultimately run by the citizens. As such, most of our leaders are put in place by the citizens by popular vote.
I'm aware of this. I'm just giving a critique.

The thing is defining what is right. What is right and what is wrong? In a country such as the USA it's supposed to be the people that make that determination so in the USA what's popular IS what's right. Im not saying it's a perfect system but that's just how it is.
Slavery was popular at one time...

Democracy is rule by the people. Unfortunately, "the people" are not qualified to rule. The fact that climate change deniers and other cranks have the right to vote is proof of this.

As Winston Churchill once said, "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

I do believe there needs to be a fourth branch of government, where certain matters - like environmental policy, for example - are not left to the voters.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Far be it from me to tell others how their country should be, as I'm not a Brit - but I don't think a monarchy makes much sense if the monarch doesn't at least exercise executive power. I think the perfect model for what a monarchy should be is Liechtenstein. The Prince actually exercises executive power that is subject to similar checks and balances as the executive branch in the US. I'd much rather the country be run by someone who was trained from birth to do so than our current system. When the choice is between doing what's popular and what's right, they're in a position to do what's right. There's no second term for them to win.
You may consider moving to North Korea. I hear they have a leader who was trained from birth to run their country.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Winston Churchill once said, "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
I often posit the idea that in order to be allowed to vote in an election, every citizen should sit brief, online multiple choice question test about the manifesto of each party in the running. Just very general questions such as ‘What is their general policy on taxation’, ‘How will they attempt to make the economy flourish?’ ‘How are they going to stop the world burning to a cinder within 40 years’ 😉 It seems reasonable, don’t you think? But it’s very unpopular with those to whom I suggest it! Voting is a great honour and responsibility, but few seem to want to do any homework to secure that privilege.

I recently read that the great Greek philosopher, Socrates suggested the same thing, so I’m in good company!

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You may consider moving to North Korea. I hear they have a leader who was trained from birth to run their country.
You missed what I said about Liechtenstein's monarchy. That little gotcha statement didn't work out for you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You missed what I said about Liechtenstein's monarchy. That little gotcha statement didn't work out for you.
You missed the point, which wasn’t a gotcha. It’s that being born to it is as likely to lead to something bad as something good. There’s a reason old king John was forced to sign the Magna Carta.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You missed the point, which wasn’t a gotcha. It’s that being born to it is as likely to lead to something bad as something good. There’s a reason old king John was forced to sign the Magna Carta.
I mentioned the checks and balances that the prince of Liechtenstein's executive power is subject to. You responded by suggesting that I move to a country led by someone whose powers are subject to absolutely zero checks and balances. Therefore, you conveniently ignored what I said to get a gotcha statement in.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I mentioned the checks and balances that the prince of Liechtenstein's executive power is subject to. You responded by suggesting that I move to a country led by someone whose powers are subject to absolutely zero checks and balances. Therefore, you conveniently ignored what I said to get a gotcha statement in.
You’re right. I tried to catch you, but you’re just too darn clever. God save the king.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attention all users:

Please return to the original topic, and keep the discussion polite and respectful.

jks9199
Administrator

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm aware of this. I'm just giving a critique.

Slavery was popular at one time...

Democracy is rule by the people. Unfortunately, "the people" are not qualified to rule. The fact that climate change deniers and other cranks have the right to vote is proof of this.

I do believe there needs to be a fourth branch of government, where certain matters - like environmental policy, for example - are not left to the voters.
We should have this discussion elsewhere as we shouldn't be discussing politics here. As jks9199 said we should return to the topic at hand. I don't want this thread to get shut down.

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So as I said before about how in Japan they view the rank of Shodan, first degree black belt as just another rank, Im not saying that's how I view it or that that's how its viewed in places other than Japan, its just that to the best of my knowledge that's how its viewed in Japan. I say to the best of my knowledge as I could be wrong.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So as I said before about how in Japan they view the rank of Shodan, first degree black belt as just another rank, Im not saying that's how I view it or that that's how its viewed in places other than Japan, its just that to the best of my knowledge that's how its viewed in Japan. I say to the best of my knowledge as I could be wrong.
Thanks for pulling back to the original discussion. Is there anything left to be said about it?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This forum appears to have existed for over 20 years. At any given time, has there been an active thread about belts more often than there hasn't?
Since I joined this forum (over 10 years ago) I'd say that at least 25% of the time there are people arguing about belts. Mostly a combination of new posters that think they've got a brand new take on belts, or photonguy starting/renewing one of his threads about his take on them.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This forum appears to have existed for over 20 years. At any given time, has there been an active thread about belts more often than there hasn't?
I've been here about 15 years, and it's a constant. @Monkey Turned Wolf summed it up well. In the last decade, it's been almost exclusively @PhotonGuy flogging his dead horse ad infinitum.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
<sigh> OK then.
Well that just wasn't my experience when I was training under a sensei who was from Japan. You would think that somebody from Japan would run a dojo the Japanese way.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for pulling back to the original discussion. Is there anything left to be said about it?
Only that I think a Japanese sensei would run a dojo the Japanese way, including how they would set up their belt system, regardless if they're teaching in Japan or not, as I point out in post #416.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was planning to go and train under a couple of 8th Dan in Japan, my teacher said, “ Let’s get you your 5th Dan so you’ll be taken seriously”.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was planning to go and train under a couple of 8th Dan in Japan, my teacher said, “ Let’s get you your 5th Dan so you’ll be taken seriously”.
Is that where it's no longer "just another rank?"

Latest Discussions