How old were you when you first started Martial Arts?

How old were you when you started Martial Arts?

• 10 years old or under

Votes: 107 23.8%
  • 11 years old to 15

Votes: 114 25.4%
  • 16 years old to 19

Votes: 78 17.4%
  • 20 years old to 29

Votes: 74 16.5%
  • 30 years old to 39

Votes: 54 12.0%
  • 40 years old to 49

Votes: 29 6.5%
  • 50 years old to 59

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60 years old and up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started dahn moo do at 13 and american kenpo at 14 and i just found out the other day my dojang is offering a nunchuck course for free for all interested students so i just started that at 14 too

scfgabe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am 28 years old, and I just started my study of American Kenpo. Better late than never, I suppose!

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I first began martial arts in the third grade. It was some genaric form of "karate". Then I spent some time in a school that taught an off shoot of kenpo and TKD (if i remember correctly). I did not pick up MA again until I started college.

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started when I was 27. I wanted to start when I was very young but my mother wouldnt allow it. Once I was old enough to make my own decision, I couldnt afford it. Now I wont give it up.

K

Knifehand

I was 8 years when i first started generic Karate. I was (and still am) 19 when i started Tang Soo Do. I proceeding along quite nicely...

K

Kirsty x

I was 15 when I started kupso :) , and 17 when I started ninjutsu. :ultracool

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it was in 1983 when I was in 4th or 5th grade and I took Shotokan Karate at the YMCA. I got to Yellow Belt and then quit because my parents thought it was too expensive. :idunno:

asangria

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started at about 28-29. I finally had some free time from working & going to school. Better late than never but if I had to do it all over I would have started much sooner.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
It looks like I haven't posted here, but I did vote on the poll already. Let's see, I would have been about 28 when I started. About the poll results, there are fewer people who began later in life, which I think is to be expected. Roughly 50% started by age 15, but about 32% started between 16 and 29. That's a pretty good fraction that didn't begin as children or young teens. I thought that was kind of interesting.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started a month before my 16th birthday.
That was 7 months ago.

I wish I had started earlier!!

I do kenpo at a tracy's karate near my house...

A

altondragon

I began this journey long ago and far away when i recall having cartiledge! LOL
ok i was 15 studied uechi ryu for 4 yrs.....stopped, fell in love, got married, had kids and it wasnt until i enrolled by son 7 yrs ago in a class when i said wow i really miss this part of me..and yet it took 2 yrs watching him to actually join...been studying kempo since 2000...guess i was waiting to see if we all would die from the Y2k...we survived and i wish now i had never stopped studying..yet my journey would not have found me to be where i am..so thankful for my blessings and my dojo family. Now 41 and loving it all. DId i ramble?

K

kishoto

I was 12 years old when i started training. I am 50 years old now 38 years what a trip it has been.(and not done yet). kishoto

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I was 10 and was "forced" into it

I hope you don't feel forced anymore.

I started martial arts when I was 16 years old. 11 years later, I love it even more.

Latest Discussions