How often have you gotten ear ringing from being hit on the side of the head near the ear?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial talk, Coldly Calculating.

There's an old movie saying, from it's a Wonderful Life,

Every time a fighter gets his bell rung, an angel gets his wings.

Or something like that. ;)
I think you messed it up slightly. It's

Every time an angel gets his bell rung, a fighter gets his wings.

And yes, that does mean they have cage matches in heaven. Otherwise would it really be heaven?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I tried doing Kendo for a bit, and I got ringing in my ears from the shinai (bamboo swords) hitting together near my head. But not from getting my head hit, i.e. in TKD.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i went ( temp) blind in one eye and the other eye packed up in sympathy arter being hit with a soccer ball

when i say temp it lasted over a week, the bigest problems i faced where hitting the toilet bowl when having a pee, trying to cook and getting miles across town to visit the eye hospital whilst blind and then of course driving when i got about 25% vision back was a bit hairy
That's much worse than anything I had from soccer. The worse I had was a cut on my eye (actually the eye, itself). Minor, all told, but a scab on the eye is anoying beyond merit.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried doing Kendo for a bit, and I got ringing in my ears from the shinai (bamboo swords) hitting together near my head. But not from getting my head hit, i.e. in TKD.
I have an issue with the rattan sticks (FMA sticks) I practice with, in my current dojo. It really seems to amplify that range of sound. I'm probably going to mandate ear plugs anytime they're used in paired practice.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you messed it up slightly. It's

Every time an angel gets his bell rung, a fighter gets his wings.

And yes, that does mean they have cage matches in heaven. Otherwise would it really be heaven?

You know what, I like yours better.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's much worse than anything I had from soccer. The worse I had was a cut on my eye (actually the eye, itself). Minor, all told, but a scab on the eye is anoying beyond merit.

I can strongly concur the eye pain. When our son was small, we were at the local fair and he was standing on a bar stool chair eating a corndog. I was standing beside the chair and obviously not paying enough attention in his direction. When he finished the corndog he unexpectedly jumped to my broadside and I caught him. The stick led the way and struck the side of my right eye (the white), broke, and the broken end still in his hand pierced into and back out the eye. The travel motion must have ran out of steam because I am pretty sure it never left his hand but left my eye.
This all happened quite fast and at first I did not think much about it. Felt like a poke in the eye, not much more. We stayed at the fair for another 30 minutes or so and after about 2 hours I was in misery.
W went to the ER and they shot some kind of 'magic' spray in my eye and it stopped hurting right away. So I am starting to think this may not be so bad after all when the doctor comes in and says to not get used to it. If the spray is used too much (forget the name) it will cause blindness.
Sure enough, they did some test, took some pictures and said the two punctures were very small and would heal on their own, and were not the source of the pain. The stick made a big scratch (in eye terms) on the sclera and cornea.
I have had a lot of busted body parts but that was one of the worst 'hurts' I can remember, mostly because of the no pain medication issue.
To compound things, I had to meet with customers and policy makers from out of state wearing a clumsy eye patch on a non-stop runny eye and feeling like burning crap on a taco.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can strongly concur the eye pain. When our son was small, we were at the local fair and he was standing on a bar stool chair eating a corndog. I was standing beside the chair and obviously not paying enough attention in his direction. When he finished the corndog he unexpectedly jumped to my broadside and I caught him. The stick led the way and struck the side of my right eye (the white), broke, and the broken end still in his hand pierced into and back out the eye. The travel motion must have ran out of steam because I am pretty sure it never left his hand but left my eye.
This all happened quite fast and at first I did not think much about it. Felt like a poke in the eye, not much more. We stayed at the fair for another 30 minutes or so and after about 2 hours I was in misery.
W went to the ER and they shot some kind of 'magic' spray in my eye and it stopped hurting right away. So I am starting to think this may not be so bad after all when the doctor comes in and says to not get used to it. If the spray is used too much (forget the name) it will cause blindness.
Sure enough, they did some test, took some pictures and said the two punctures were very small and would heal on their own, and were not the source of the pain. The stick made a big scratch (in eye terms) on the sclera and cornea.
I have had a lot of busted body parts but that was one of the worst 'hurts' I can remember, mostly because of the no pain medication issue.
To compound things, I had to meet with customers and policy makers from out of state wearing a clumsy eye patch on a non-stop runny eye and feeling like burning crap on a taco.
That's definitely worse than what I had. Man, that sounds like zero fun.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wish I hadn't read the posts about eye injuries! It's the only thing I'm squeamish about and am now feeling slightly sick. Cheers guys!

if anyone is watching the new 'Picard' series and has seen the episode where seven of nine shoots up a lab, will know why I practically threw up just before she started shooting.

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I remember when I first started it happened somewhat. Did anyone have a tendency for this to happen to them?
I am 64 years old been in martial arts for over 40 some odd years and used to also box. Most of the time ringing in the ear is a sign that you got we used to call it you got your bell rung. Today they would want to know about that probably through your doctor. Back then you would just sit on the bench for 10 minutes and then come back to sparring. I've lost too many of my friends to getting their bell wrong old folks home at 50 dead before 60. You're getting a slight concussion.

Latest Discussions