How much time does a typical Hapkido class devote to kicking compared to TKD?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Axiom, Sep 9, 2017.

1. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

I'm not suggesting that the school is bad. The main school I attend focuses a lot on hands, and neglects kicks and grappling. I'm okay with that, even though it has those weaknesses. In fact, I don't think it's even bad to completely neglect certain things, as long as you have a way to handle people trying to use them in a fight.

But, as far as I'm concerned the idea that if a school as a whole practices something more than others, that's what people will improve in, is not really something to be debated. That's how practice and growth work; what you practice will improve.

2. Axiom

Axiom Black Belt

All else equal (quality of instructions, training method) then of course. I think kicking is more sensitive to inactivity than punching. At least that's my experience.

3. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    As shown on another of the OP's thread, he's getting all his opinions and 'info' from a certain other site :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh dear so that accounts for everything.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

I've been interested following this thread. It seems to me first of all that you have some real misconceptions about Hapkido. As it isn't an art you study, I suppose that is understandable. But what I really wonder, have you learned anything? You have been quick to tell us things about Hapkido, when you don't study it yourself. I don't know where you have been getting your information. If you got it from a teacher, it surely wasn't a Hapkido teacher.

Have you figured out that Hapkido, like many arts, incorporates kicks into its techniques? Do you accept that Hapkido has many kicks and applications of kicks that work well with a grappling art, but many perhaps not so well with a striking art? Can you see why when used, they are incorporated into grappling techniques, therefore they aren't easily quantified like you want? Do you accept that Hapkido, at least most schools, don't try to make themselves thousands of years old (no, Hapkido didn't originate in Sinanju either. :)). If so, you may start to learn a bit about Hapkido. I'm just not sure what good it will do you. You seem to want your own version of what Hapkido is. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

5. Axiom

Axiom Black Belt

What have I told you about Hapkido? QUOTE me please

6. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Ok.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Axiom

Axiom Black Belt

Those are uncontroversial, historical facts. I have never claimed any personal, technical knowledge about Hapkido, other than that our grappling in TKD is from a Hapkido master who befriended Hoi Chong Hi.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

I debated whether to select funny or disagree, both apply. How about some of your sources? And who is Hoi Chong Hi?

• Like Like x 1