How much time does a typical Hapkido class devote to kicking compared to TKD?

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi there. I recently learned that Hapkido was originally a pure grappling art which later incorporated kicking to its curriculum. My question is how this distribution looks nowdays? If you were to put a figure on it, how much active, offensive kicking are Hapkido students drilled in? Not just simply defensive tactics, but full-on roundhouse kicks, sidekicks etc.

Editors note: I hope it's not equivalent to the time spent joint manipulating/throwing in TaeKwonDo:)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's going to depend a lot on the school/instructor.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's going to depend a lot on the school/instructor.

What would be a minimum, 40%? Several screen performers in Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies were Hapkido masters, yet famous on the silver screen for their kicking dexterity, which surprises me given that the emphasis is on grappling.

Last edited:
OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats in my opinion from all that I have seen.[/QUOTE]

I would have to say that Tae-Kwoon-Do is 80% kicking here because of its competitive nature in extreme kicking range techniques as a majority focus of weapon..

That's only sport oriented schools. Traditional TKD schools has a distribution somewhere around 60/40 kicks/punches.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
What would be a minimum, 40%? Several screen performers in Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies were Hapkido masters, yet famous on the silver screen for their kicking dexterity, which surprises me given that the emphasis is on grappling.
Yes but kicking looks better on screen than grappling so you're more likely to see kicking than grappling in movies especially in old school bruce lee and jackie chan stuff. Maybe these days you'll see a bit more grappling but still I'd say 80% stroking 20 % grappling

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes but kicking looks better on screen than grappling so you're more likely to see kicking than grappling in movies especially in old school bruce lee and jackie chan stuff. Maybe these days you'll see a bit more grappling but still I'd say 80% stroking 20 % grappling

My point is that they were good at it.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score

Bruce Lee vs Ji han Yeah in Game of death was 90% grappling/throws...

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the Hapkido I studied we had a lot of kicks we practiced. I would guess as many as TKD practitioners. We used kicks in our techniques as well. And to me, that would be the problem in answering your question. If I grappled and based on where the grapple put you (as part of the technique), kicked you, how would you count that?

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
...and maybe the best sequence....
Funny that because bruce lee hated that fight scene. I remember reading an interview with one of his friends maybe inosanto or jesse glover or someone like that who said he didn't like the fight or the guy he worked with and was going to reshoot it with a new actor but he didnt get the time to do it

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
...and maybe the best sequence....
Just had a quick look through my bruce lee biography and found it. It was doug palmer who said it and it also said he wanted to reshoot it with Angela Mao

image.jpg

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the Hapkido I studied we had a lot of kicks we practiced. I would guess as many as TKD practitioners. We used kicks in our techniques as well. And to me, that would be the problem in answering your question. If I grappled and based on where the grapple put you (as part of the technique), kicked you, how would you count that?

I'm curious about the times you guys drill kicks in isolation from anything ese (fundamental training). How much of that would you say goes to kicking?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny that because bruce lee hated that fight scene. I remember reading an interview with one of his friends maybe inosanto or jesse glover or someone like that who said he didn't like the fight or the guy he worked with and was going to reshoot it with a new actor but he didnt get the time to do it

Ji Han Yeah had enormous difficulty with movie choreography, timing it. There's Game of Death outtakes showing Bruce Lee getting frustraded.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
not to derail the thread (in answer to the OP, it depends on which hapkido, I'd think...)
Have you seen the movie?
Note that I didn't say "most entertaining," or even "best technically." Those were two other sequences-what to do you think they were?
I merely interjected with my opinion, a cinematographer might have another, Bruce Lee another-what's yours?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
not to derail the thread (in answer to the OP, it depends on which hapkido, I'd think...)
Have you seen the movie?
Note that I didn't say "most entertaining," or even "best technically." Those were two other sequences-what to do you think they were?
I merely interjected with my opinion, a cinematographer might have another, Bruce Lee another-what's yours?

My question was sparked by a TKD seminar in which the guy said: "Hapkido students can kick and punch, but not as well as TKDoins, and can grapple and throw, but not as well as Judokas. =jack of all trades"

Now, the bias meter is going crazy, but I was just curious how much truth there is in that.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question was sparked by a TKD seminar in which the guy said: "Hapkido students can kick and punch, but not as well as TKDoins, and can grapple and throw, but not as well as Judokas. =jack of all trades"

Now, the bias meter is going crazy, but I was just curious how much truth there is in that.
I'm years divorced from my Hapkido and Tae kwon do training, but, again, it depends on which tae kwon do, and which hapkido. There was a Korean master in NY, (where I grew up) As someone who had trained in all of those arts, (and who has dan ranking in judo and tae kwon do-as well as Kyokushin karate) I have to say that he and his students were kinda awesome....but that there is something to what the TKD guy said.....most of the time.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm years divorced from my Hapkido and Tae kwon do training, but, again, it depends on which tae kwon do, and which hapkido. There was a Korean master in NY, (where I grew up) As someone who had trained in all of those arts, (and who has dan ranking in judo and tae kwon do-as well as Kyokushin karate) I have to say that he and his students were kinda awesome....but that there is something to what the TKD guy said.....most of the time.

Nice. Which TaeKwonDo style did you train in and how did it compare to the kicking in Hapkido?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm curious about the times you guys drill kicks in isolation from anything ese (fundamental training). How much of that would you say goes to kicking?

Well, I can only speak about the Hapkido I studied. We did practice kicks, and in different ways. Going through each of our kicks, eight reps each, in unison, was an opportunity learn and improve our kicks as well as good cardio. When possible, we had a drill where we lined up with higher ranks in the lead. Our GM, holding focus pads, would call out 8 or 10 kicks. Each of us in turn would execute the kicks and run back to the end of the line, going through two or three times. Then the sequence would change, as well the kicks required. Again a chance to improve kicks from our own observation and that of our GM.

But it was never a concern to me to try and decide what the percentage was of kicks we practiced. Nor what percentage of our techniques employed kicks.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I can only speak about the Hapkido I studied. We did practice kicks, and in different ways. Going through each of our kicks, eight reps each, in unison, was an opportunity learn and improve our kicks as well as good cardio. When possible, we had a drill where we lined up with higher ranks in the lead. Our GM, holding focus pads, would call out 8 or 10 kicks. Each of us in turn would execute the kicks and run back to the end of the line, going through two or three times. Then the sequence would change, as well the kicks required. Again a chance to improve kicks from our own observation and that of our GM.

But it was never a concern to me to try and decide what the percentage was of kicks we practiced. Nor what percentage of our techniques employed kicks.

How was the sparring arranged given that it's a hybrid art? Was it like a precursor to MMA?:cool:

Latest Discussions