How much Sparring?

B

Blind

We know it will never happen, but it is a curious thought I`ll admit!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
r.severe said:
Don wrote, "The enviroment in the ring is not combat."

Could you please give a few accounts on your personal involvment or experiece with ring fighting for us. I'm not aware of any matches you have had in your past Don.

Because I do not like to talk about my past. The art I studied before I started Bujinkan was very big on hard contact sparring. I felt very macho, very sure of myself on the street, and later found out I had really huge holes that others could drive right through.

I really do not have much good to say about my experiences before Bujinkan and prefer to just not talk about it much.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ninhito said:
hey i have a question. Whats the difference in Taijutsu that was taught from Hatsumi and the Toshinden and other hand-to-hand combat that is in ninjutsu.
Taijutsu is the basis for the hand to hand combat in the Ninjutsu styles taught by Hatsumi... as far as I know, all the ninjutsu fighting arts use Taijutsu.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
r.severe said:
**ky, Hatsumi sensei teaches what was handed down to him by his teachers. He lacks real fight time himself.
ralph severe kamiyama
Mr. Severe, are 100% sure about that statement being a fact?

r.severe said:
Hand to Hand in Ninpo Bugei comes mainly from Koto ryu and Gyokko ryu The few exceptions of techniques of escape and evasion from Togakure ryu.****
Interesting observation. I suppose this ties into the Ninjutsu/Taijutsu question posted somewhere else in this thread...

:asian:

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus asked, "Is it really that hard for you to see beyond the stop and go part of training?"

**ky, Stop and go are not natural. It goes AGAINST flow.****

ralph severe, kamiyama

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Blind states-asked, "IMO, if you imagine Hatsumi is lacking in real fight experience it is only fair that you go to Japan and teach him about it, after all he introduced you to the schools you are teaching right?"

**ky, more or less everytime or almost everytime the subject of Hatsumi sensei not having fighting experience comes up the cop out goes to "why not go and tell or This guy does or goto Japan and show them, etc..
This is really not important or the subject on this thread.
And what difference does it make if Hatsumi sensei has fighting experience or not... You don't have to being the soke or what ever.. you are just a holder of scrolls NOT a fighter.
The scrolls don't give you abilities.
It's just information.
And if he introduced me to any system or not still doesn't give him abilities in fighting.****

ralph severe, kamiyama

He might even pay you for the training.(I am sure you had to pay him for yours)

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk states, "Taijutsu is the basis for the hand to hand combat in the Ninjutsu styles taught by Hatsumi... as far as I know, all the ninjutsu fighting arts use Taijutsu."

**ky, all athletic journeys have body skills, as does all boxing, judo, kali, ninjutsu, karate, taekwondo, etc..
Taijutsu is not a special word for Ninjutsu or any other athletic adventure.
No, not all ninjutsu arts have hand-to-hand combat skills. Many were just tactics.****

Ralph severe, kamiyama

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kizaru asked, "Mr. Severe, are 100% sure about that statement being a fact?"

**ky, while in Japan in 1992 he had three interviews with me at his home which I spent 20 hours.
He spoke to me about his past in detail as far as sparring and fighting goes.
During these conversations he spoke about his lack of real fighting experience.****

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
r.severe said:
**ky, while in Japan in 1992 he had three interviews with me at his home which I spent 20 hours.
ralph severe, kamiyama
What else did you and Mr. Hatsumi discuss? Your merits? Places he thought you could improve in? The direction he thought the Bujinkan should be going in?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
r.severe said:
Nimravus asked, "Is it really that hard for you to see beyond the stop and go part of training?"

**ky, Stop and go are not natural. It goes AGAINST flow.****

ralph severe, kamiyama
If only everyone had the amazing ability to effortless flowing taijutsu from the start of their training as you seem to possess...

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
r.severe said:
Blind states-asked, "IMO, if you imagine Hatsumi is lacking in real fight experience it is only fair that you go to Japan and teach him about it, after all he introduced you to the schools you are teaching right?"

**ky, more or less everytime or almost everytime the subject of Hatsumi sensei not having fighting experience comes up the cop out goes to "why not go and tell or This guy does or goto Japan and show them, etc..
This is really not important or the subject on this thread.
And what difference does it make if Hatsumi sensei has fighting experience or not... You don't have to being the soke or what ever.. you are just a holder of scrolls NOT a fighter.
The scrolls don't give you abilities.
It's just information.
And if he introduced me to any system or not still doesn't give him abilities in fighting.****
/QUOTE]

Whether or not one has real fighting experience or not doesn't say anything about one's ability to teach and practice Soke's nine traditions in the correct manner (which is dictated by HIM and no one else).

ninhito

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey guys not to try and change the subject. hey how far does sparring go. Does it go 'til someone breaks a bone or does it stop when someone bleeds or starts cryin'.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well then.....

It has been made clear that Bujinkan doesnt typically spar or grapple.
IMO, it is typically (though not entirely) irrelevant whether someone has fighting experience or not. Fights are not staged, so something that works in one fight may not work in another fight. Brazillian Jiu jitsu is now the most popular MA in the USA right now. Some of the people who do it are not nice guys. this can be said for any MA, but especially for BJJ because it does not put emphasis on good moral character. If The Bujinkan is teaching grappling, but not putting it into practice, it would not survive someone who can take them down unexpectedly and pin them, while working on a submission. my thoughts.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Well then.....

It has been made clear that Bujinkan doesnt typically spar or grapple.
IMO, it is typically (though not entirely) irrelevant whether someone has fighting experience or not. Fights are not staged, so something that works in one fight may not work in another fight. Brazillian Jiu jitsu is now the most popular MA in the USA right now. Some of the people who do it are not nice guys. this can be said for any MA, but especially for BJJ because it does not put emphasis on good moral character. If The Bujinkan is teaching grappling, but not putting it into practice, it would not survive someone who can take them down unexpectedly and pin them, while working on a submission. my thoughts.
Assuming one fights under their conditions - sure.

ninhito

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How come you would need to do it in a dojo. If you and yours freinds are learning martial arts then they could learn from your tactics, granted there not in to much pain, and you learn from theres. I have a freind who is a pretty good street fighter but im extremely unpredictable to him so he basicly gets hurt. Just like with my other freinds, see. I learned something from everyone including the movies. heh heh heh

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Assuming one fights under their conditions - sure.
I was messing around with a huge wrestler before I began any grappling. all I had was Aikijutsu and TKD. I started to hit him and he threw me to the ground. once on the ground, I tried to strike him, and he pinned my hands to the ground, raised up, and flattened my legs out. (in Saturday night ride for freestyler's out there). He could have headbutted me, bit me, or pulled one arm up, and because of the reach advantage, struck me. all I could have done was spit on him. Now, after grappling, he tries the same technique, and I have no trouble getting out of it. this was in a backyard, and not a pre-set sparring incident. it just happened. he got kinda mad, and threw me down w/o warning.

hey guys not to try and change the subject. hey how far does sparring go. Does it go 'til someone breaks a bone or does it stop when someone bleeds or starts cryin'.
about sparring:
Typically in classes, sparring goes a set amount of time, or until someone gives up or is knocked out or down. no messes.

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What else did you and Mr. Hatsumi discuss?
**ky, a lot about my art and back ground in life as well as his books he would like to make, Japanese armor, his knife collection, family and teaching.****

Your merits?
**ky, yes****

Places he thought you could improve in?
**ky, Hatsumi sensei said to me that he could not help me with fighting because he knew I was already experienced from watching me and most likely far beyond his experience. He worked with me mainly on kukishinden ryu weaponry during my 30 day stay. He had me demonstrate four times fighting skills of my own before and during classes at the Budokan.****

The direction he thought the Bujinkan should be going in?
**ky, I did not concern myself with the Bujinkan and mainly never have. I only concerned myself with the soke and the ryuha of the Bujinkan..****

ralph severe, kamiyama