How many of you have lost weight?

J

Jas0n

I was talking to Kirk he said he lost 50lbs doing Kenpo. I need to lose 35lbs and have been very discouraged. Anyone else lost weight doing the training? I am eating better (not great). and goiong to Kenpo 3 times a week. this is only my second week. I love the classes.

OP
C

Colin Thomas

I do Taekwondo and lost about 30 lbs in the first 15 months of training. I trained about twice a week for the first 5-6 months in which I lost about half the weight and then when I became fitter extended it to either 3 or 4 times a week. My weights now fairly stable and hasn't changed for the last 9 months.

If you've started from a base of no exercise and are now training 3 times a week and eating a bit better you've got to lose weight. Be patient it'll happen.

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

I actually gained weight, because I started TKD during my growth spurt years (read, teenager). I jumped up from 110 to 155.

Then I stopped eating right, and it dropped back down to 140. But my level of training stayed constant, so I'm inclined to think the workouts weren't the cause of the weight loss. I've put on lean muscle mass since then from weightlifting and more strenuous TKD workouts lately, and I'm back up to 155.

OP
J

Jas0n

Originally posted by Cliarlaoch
I actually gained weight, because I started TKD during my growth spurt years (read, teenager). I jumped up from 110 to 155.

Then I stopped eating right, and it dropped back down to 140. But my level of training stayed constant, so I'm inclined to think the workouts weren't the cause of the weight loss. I've put on lean muscle mass since then from weightlifting and more strenuous TKD workouts lately, and I'm back up to 155.
Well sur eyou will gain some muscle i mean lose the fat

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jason, If you want to lose weight, you should join weight watchers along with doing kenpo. I lost 45 pounds on weight watchers. It's easy. doing the karate helps me keep the weight off too.

OP
J

Jas0n

Originally posted by rachel
Jason, If you want to lose weight, you should join weight watchers along with doing kenpo. I lost 45 pounds on weight watchers. It's easy. doing the karate helps me keep the weight off too.
Ughhh My mom lost 100lbs wheni was a kid on weight watchers...I cant do it...I would rather lose it by working out.

OP
M

Master of Blades

I'm gonna do this is stone cuz its all I know......But I've recently gone from 13 Stone right back down to 10 stone in 2 months with playing Basketball and Kali once a week. Its all muscle now.....my girl loves it :rofl:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
when I did TSD, I lost weight. And I got into good shape. I went 4-5 days a week. But I do TKD now. I feel like a gained weight, though. Some of it was muscle, but not all. I don't eat right either. I just added Judo to my training, and I want to eat right. I'll get the weight off again ;)

OP
J

Jill666

But it's muscle weight. I went from 110 to 122. I'm hungry all the time from working out, and I eat better.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Jill666
But it's muscle weight. I went from 110 to 122. I'm hungry all the time from working out, and I eat better.

Sorry to ask this, and feel free not to answer, but I am curious ..
what about the tatas? I have a friend who's scared they'll go
away if she loses.

OP
J

Jill666

you meant boobs, right?

They might get a bit smaller- but they might not. Plus if your friend gets trim & fit it probably won't be noticeable.

OP
M

Master of Blades

you meant boobs, right?

They might get a bit smaller- but they might not. Plus if your friend gets trim & fit it probably won't be noticeable.

I love this place! Where else can I boss people about, Talk about Martial Arts and my interests, Cuss each other lame yo' momma cusses AND talk about BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES!!! :rofl:

Sorry Hormones got a hold of me there :shrug:

OP
J

Jill666

Down, lad! :lol:

Oh, to be fifteen again. No, actually, seventeen was the best year- I think I went to summer school at fifteen.

Yep- seventeen, cars, boys, beers and metal! The weekends weren't bad either. :cool:

Don't smoke though, I wish I hadn't smoked.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Oh, to be fifteen again. No, actually, seventeen was the best year- I think I went to summer school at fifteen.

Yep- seventeen, cars, boys, beers and metal! The weekends weren't bad either. :cool:

16 on March the 18th :D But that means GCSE's in 48 days and my girlfriend cant decide whether shes my girl or not and I have to fight to get my lunch! Its not all apple and pie! Actually its mostly Chocolate and Milkshake for me......:rofl:

And I only occasionally smoke "Broccoli" :rolleyes: So its cool, but I tend to follow the lyrics from this Song by the Pharcyde;

"Something Something cuz the Bud is just a tasty tantaliser
The bud not the beer cuz the bud makes me wiser"

I cant stand Alcohol! Anyway, Im too concerned with looking good for the ladys for that stuff anyway :D

OP
S

Shinzu

MA training has helped my control my weight. i lose a few and gain a few.. nothing major.

i lost the most weight by doing taebo. i know some might think that taebo is a joke, but it is great for stamia, endurance, and weight loss.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been able to pretty much maintain my weight since I've been training. I stay right about the same weight without going up or down much. I do train quite a bit, 5+ times a week, and even though I don't always eat healthy food, and I drink plenty of beer, my weight has stayed the same. I owe that to all of the time I spend in the dojang.

The only time I really lose weight is the month or two before a tournament in which I'm competing when I do put myself on a diet in order to make weight for my division. That's when I cut back on the beer and junk food... :(

OP
M

MartialArtist

I started MA when I weighed 60 pounds. I'm 193 now. So yes, I gained weight.

OP
K

Kirk

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, and ditto!

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that there are two diets that work well. Either avoid animal fat and red meat all toghether, or avoid carbohydrates. I can avoid red meat easier, beer is a carb. Avoid sugar on either plan. If you do either of these and exercise moderately you will lose about 1.5 lbs a week. Seems like when you cut the fat out you also lose your appetite after a very short time. I lost about 40 lbs cutting the fat out and kept it off for 9 years, then my son and daughter in law moved in with me last year and she cooks red meat all the time so I gained back 20 lbs. Three weeks ago I said to myself ENOUGH. I have been avoiding red meat since and am down 4 lbs so far.

Latest Discussions