How many months until you reach diminishing returns stretching?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you do a right outside crescent kick, if your right hand cannot touch your foot, your flexibility is not good. Also your jumping ability will get worse when you get older.

You should start your stretching when you were young. You then try to maintain for the rest of your life,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1:11

66 years old

Fast twitch does NOT go away...

this comes up every 6 months or so and someone posts a vid of someone in there 60s in remarkable physical shape as proof that age does not diminish and its nonsence,

these people do indeed exist but they make up a tiny fraction of 1% of the 60 year old on the planet,

which can only leave you with three possible conclusions,

1) it's a rare genetic abnormality,
2) its extremly difficult to do
3) both of the above

my fitness has dropped of a cliff in the last 6 months or so and I'm still the second fittest 60 yo I know( and I know a lot), the first is my sister, which lends weight to it being genetic

but we are also both ultra competitive,I sent her a msg of my bike ride, 20 miles which I was really pleased with, she immediately got her bike out and did 25( and faster) and msg me back being smug, so I'm going for 30 this week,, so maybe it is number 3

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this comes up every 6 months or so and someone posts a vid of someone in there 60s in remarkable physical shape as proof that age does not diminish and its nonsence,

these people do indeed exist but they make up a tiny fraction of 1% of the 60 year old on the planet,

which can only leave you with three possible conclusions,

1) it's a rare genetic abnormality,
2) its extremly difficult to do
3) both of the above

my fitness has dropped of a cliff in the last 6 months or so and I'm still the second fittest 60 yo I know( and I know a lot), the first is my sister, which lends weight to it being genetic

but we are also both ultra competitive,I sent her a msg of my bike ride, 20 miles which I was really pleased with, she immediately got her bike out and did 25( and faster) and msg me back being smug, so I'm going for 30 this week,, so maybe it is number 3
Great to hear from you Jobo.

I fully agree with the rarity of such things. Can and should everyone exercise up until the day they die. Absolutely. Will it look lithe the workouts from their senior year in high school? Of course not.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you do a right outside crescent kick, if your right hand cannot touch your foot, your flexibility is not good. Also your jumping ability will get worse when you get older.

You should start your stretching when you were young. You then try to maintain for the rest of your life,
No matter how much I stretched, I never reached that level of flexibility. I suspect this t was the result of all the distance running from a young age.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No matter how much I stretched, I never reached that level of flexibility. I suspect this t was the result of all the distance running from a young age.
trick is hand positioning lol.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you do stretching, do you put your foot on a table, use the other side of your hand to hold the bottom of your foot?

wushu-stretch.gif

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you do stretching, do you put your foot on a table, use the other side of your hand to hold the bottom of your foot?

wushu-stretch.gif
That was not a stretch I could do except at my most flexible. The picture was never within my range, or even close.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you do right front kick, can your left hand be able to touch your right foot instep?

my-kick-punch.gif
The way we do a front kick, that wouldn’t be possible, anyway, but no I can’t (not sure I ever could) do what’s in that gif. I can kick that high, but not while reaching forward like that.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't lose any grip strength/fast twitch muscle fibers in your 50s. So no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same things if you have the same flexibility. You simply haven't updated your body enough.
You don't lose strength, barring injuries and wear and tear to your hands that can come with age(carpel, arthritis etc) but you definitely slow down. A lot. On average this process starts around your late 40s and by age 60 can decrease from an average of 600k fibres to 300k fibres.

Latest Discussions