How many and differances in Shaolin Kempo

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Almost forgot there is a place in Salt Lake that teaches American Kenpo that is run by a guy named Ryan Whedon. Anyone hear of him?

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Out here in Utah we don't have too many options. There's some clown named Aranda that runs a few TKD studios, but those are a joke. There is a Muy Thai instute that I hear is good and a Brazilian Jujitsu dojo.

Yeah, that puts me in something of a predicament as well, with my faith in United Studios declining by the day. There is, I think, one other Shaolin Ch'Uan Fa school in the Bountiful area, as well as several TKD (Kim's Academy and otherwise) schools. They seem to be the popular ones. There's another school in a town just north of where I live that is another form of Kempo, not sure what, though. I'd really like to find a good quality school in my area.
I think I want something that has solid lineage and holds strong to tradition.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Traffic out here is worse than Vegas, or San Diego and does places are far from where I live. USSD is only 5 minutes away from where I live. I also work odd hours and it helps that my instructor works around my schedule, I don't know if the other places would.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I haven't been looking too much right now because I signed a two year contract with ussd so I have another year to go. I figure when I get close to my contract being up I'll look around and if I find a better deal I'll try and barter with my instuctor.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Traffic out here is worse than Vegas, or San Diego and does places are far from where I live. USSD is only 5 minutes away from where I live. I also work odd hours and it helps that my instructor works around my schedule, I don't know if the other places would.

I hear ya! As I always say, some training is better than none, so if you love to train, do what you must, until you can do something else.

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I haven't been looking too much right now because I signed a two year contract with ussd so I have another year to go. I figure when I get close to my contract being up I'll look around and if I find a better deal I'll try and barter with my instuctor.

You know it's not actually a contract, right? If you take them a written notice of cancellation, you can get out of it at any time. They just need a 30-day advance written notice to send to ABC to cancel your billing.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You know it's not actually a contract, right? If you take them a written notice of cancellation, you can get out of it at any time. They just need a 30-day advance written notice to send to ABC to cancel your billing.Today 10:31 PM

I know, but I'd like to honor the verbal agreement between my instructor and myself.

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You know it's not actually a contract, right? If you take them a written notice of cancellation, you can get out of it at any time. They just need a 30-day advance written notice to send to ABC to cancel your billing.Today 10:31 PM

I know, but I'd like to honor the verbal agreement between my instructor and myself.

I can respect that. I was just making sure you were aware.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've always loved the martial arts but have never been able to do it before now because of money. Now I have a decent job and can afford to do what I've always wanted to do, and I think Kempo is a great art, even if I leave ussd when my two years are up I'll look for someplace I can keep learning Kempo/Kenpo.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

:asian:

That's out of respect to an honorable person! Too bad that is lacking in this world now, especially in the MA world, where Honor and Respect are supposedly taught.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As well As me Too. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it does, and more creatively so! If you did achieve that rank, I'm sure as a practioner, money thing aside, you picked up some good tech's. How do like the wing chun? Do you blend it with the kempo, or study seperately?

The problem that I had is that all the stuff I learn (and eventually taught), I probably couldn't effectively apply it outside the studio. There was too much information being pounded in my head without any application training to back it up.

The Wing Chun? I love the style, it's right up my alley. To go from 30+ forms to 3 forms... I couldn't be happier. I'm a totally "Less is More" and "Keep it Simple" fanatic, and that's the basis of Wing Chun.

Do I blend? Actually, I'm still trying to forget any of the Kempo I learned. After my first class my Wing Chun instructor blew all the Kempo training I had out of the water. Could I blend if I wanted to? Realisticly, no. While both Kempo and Wing Chun are hands heavy styles, there are way too many concepts that would clash.

Am I saying Wing Chun is better than Kempo... from my point of view, yes. As to why, I think it's a two part answer:

The first being that I feel that Shaolin Kempo has waaaay too much material to the point where it just becomes repetitve, but it's presented as something different which causes confusion. All of this I'm willing to admit could be localized to just the chain of schools I was it, but unfortunately there are no other Shaolin Kempo schools where I'm at to contrast.

Second being that the school I was in was trying to cater to everybody and everything and I believe it took away from the harder training needed to make technique's applicable leaving people lost as to when and where to use a techique.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem that I had is that all the stuff I learn (and eventually taught), I probably couldn't effectively apply it outside the studio. There was too much information being pounded in my head without any application training to back it up.

The Wing Chun? I love the style, it's right up my alley. To go from 30+ forms to 3 forms... I couldn't be happier. I'm a totally "Less is More" and "Keep it Simple" fanatic, and that's the basis of Wing Chun.

Do I blend? Actually, I'm still trying to forget any of the Kempo I learned. After my first class my Wing Chun instructor blew all the Kempo training I had out of the water. Could I blend if I wanted to? Realisticly, no. While both Kempo and Wing Chun are hands heavy styles, there are way too many concepts that would clash.

Am I saying Wing Chun is better than Kempo... from my point of view, yes. As to why, I think it's a two part answer:

The first being that I feel that Shaolin Kempo has waaaay too much material to the point where it just becomes repetitve, but it's presented as something different which causes confusion. All of this I'm willing to admit could be localized to just the chain of schools I was it, but unfortunately there are no other Shaolin Kempo schools where I'm at to contrast.

Second being that the school I was in was trying to cater to everybody and everything and I believe it took away from the harder training needed to make technique's applicable leaving people lost as to when and where to use a techique.

Yep! the watered down, monet making people, all things to all people (except the realists), just showing stuff, with no applications---I HEAR YA, Loud and clear!
I'm happy you found an instructor that you're happy with. But, that's the key, the instructors. All styles are equal, none being better than the other. Believe me, There are SKK people that can "Represent", and are reputable. Some post here on MT. In this case the player is skk, the game is the people that are representing it, so, as it's said, don't hate the player, Hate the Game!

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword- That's out of respect to an honorable person! Too bad that is lacking in this world now, especially in the MA world, where Honor and Respect are supposedly taught.

I respect my instructor, a few months ago I was going through some rough waters and the guy never heckled me for money but instead took the time to listen and be a friend. Even if I leave ussd later on I'll won't forget his kindness. That's why I'm honoring our verbal agreement. Problem is my instructor charges me less than he does the other students and he told me the higher ups accepted it but that once the two years are up I have to pay what the other students pay which is upwards of $200/month. No way I can afford that so that's why I'll probably leave when my two years are up.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ghost I live in Davis County Utah. I came here to attend Clearfield Job Corps and ended up staying.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword- That's out of respect to an honorable person! Too bad that is lacking in this world now, especially in the MA world, where Honor and Respect are supposedly taught.

I respect my instructor, a few months ago I was going through some rough waters and the guy never heckled me for money but instead took the time to listen and be a friend. Even if I leave ussd later on I'll won't forget his kindness. That's why I'm honoring our verbal agreement. Problem is my instructor charges me less than he does the other students and he told me the higher ups accepted it but that once the two years are up I have to pay what the other students pay which is upwards of $200/month. No way I can afford that so that's why I'll probably leave when my two years are up.

That's very decent of him. But, the bow still applys to you anyway. You could have left anytime you wanted. But, you showed that you're honorable.