How many and differances in Shaolin Kempo

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I remember USSD elimated Kata 6 along with circle of the tiger, or they just elimated circle of the tiger and everybody just stopped teaching kata 6 because everybody despised the form, especially me. Even had a hand full of higher ups tell me it was a thrown together form for tournaments and what not.

Then again, every month at least 5 of my techniques changed because Master So-and-so said that this way is better. No wait! This way is better... ah, now my head hurts.

Actually, Grand Master Pesare created the form.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
$60 per test. At the test you mostly go through obstical courses that emphasize the characteristics of the animal.

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To cover most of what this thread goes over, I can give a little more indepth view.
I personally know Master Russell Clegg, being an instructor. I train with him every week. He's a great martial artist, a funny guy, and at the same time a very demanding, businiessminded ... employer. I like him as a man, but I don't like his business strategy and policies. I also am not fond of the way he conducts the instructor lessons. As I put it in my introduction post, it's basically a "here, catch!" method. He tosses certain techinques and the like at you, from four or five different angles, assuming that you already know it, *because* you're an instructor. You must know it! He trains all instructors as black belts, regarldess of raink, but that's how it goes through all of USSD from what I gather.

As for the animal tests, they are, in a way, another way for United Studios to make money. But at the same time they are a great opportunity to get to know yourself and your own abilities and limits.
The Tiger Test - $50 - tests your endurance and tenacity. It pushes your body to its physical limits, but at the same time is a very mental test.
The Crane Test - $50 - tests your balance and agility.
The Snake Test - $50 - is more a clinic where you learn more about chi and meditation as well as accurate, pinpoint strikes and fluid movements.
The Leopard Test - $75 - is the longest test of all of them (aside from the Dragon). At the beginning of the test, at least at mine, here in Utah, Master Clegg tought us a leopard defensive technique (a kempo technique), and we practiced it on eachother. To this day it's one of my favorite techniques. Afterward we went to the Provo CLAS rope course, where we spent about five hours. This test for me, was a very mental test, being that I'm terrified of heights. And there were a lot of heights involved.
The Dragon Test - $500 (yes, that's right) - is a super-secret test that you can only take after you've taken all four of the other tests. You're given a period of six weeks in which to complete the test. The only thing I know about it is that part of the test involves becoming certified in CPR.

If you have any more questions about USSD, feel free to ask away. I'll try to answer what I can, at least based on what I know from my own instructor and dojo and Master Clegg.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To be honest I don't think there is a very big difference between what Villari teaches and what we learn at ussd. I think the only difference is the organization, if I jump ship to Villari's I'm pretty sure they would recognize my ranking.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To cover most of what this thread goes over, I can give a little more indepth view.
I personally know Master Russell Clegg, being an instructor. I train with him every week. He's a great martial artist, a funny guy, and at the same time a very demanding, businiessminded ... employer. I like him as a man, but I don't like his business strategy and policies. I also am not fond of the way he conducts the instructor lessons. As I put it in my introduction post, it's basically a "here, catch!" method. He tosses certain techinques and the like at you, from four or five different angles, assuming that you already know it, *because* you're an instructor. You must know it! He trains all instructors as black belts, regarldess of raink, but that's how it goes through all of USSD from what I gather.

As for the animal tests, they are, in a way, another way for United Studios to make money. But at the same time they are a great opportunity to get to know yourself and your own abilities and limits.
The Tiger Test - $50 - tests your endurance and tenacity. It pushes your body to its physical limits, but at the same time is a very mental test.
The Crane Test - $50 - tests your balance and agility.
The Snake Test - $50 - is more a clinic where you learn more about chi and meditation as well as accurate, pinpoint strikes and fluid movements.
The Leopard Test - $75 - is the longest test of all of them (aside from the Dragon). At the beginning of the test, at least at mine, here in Utah, Master Clegg tought us a leopard defensive technique (a kempo technique), and we practiced it on eachother. To this day it's one of my favorite techniques. Afterward we went to the Provo CLAS rope course, where we spent about five hours. This test for me, was a very mental test, being that I'm terrified of heights. And there were a lot of heights involved.
The Dragon Test - $500 (yes, that's right) - is a super-secret test that you can only take after you've taken all four of the other tests. You're given a period of six weeks in which to complete the test. The only thing I know about it is that part of the test involves becoming certified in CPR.

If you have any more questions about USSD, feel free to ask away. I'll try to answer what I can, at least based on what I know from my own instructor and dojo and Master Clegg.

Hello IRO-Bot, welcome to MT. It would be great if you explained that favorite technique.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, you've got to be kidding me! You pay $60 to run through an obstical course? Are you that gullable? Dude, right now I have a bridge in brooklyn on sale.

Really? How much?

Seriously though,

No need to go there. We get what you're trying to say, and true, it's about the money with them (and a lot of others).

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello IRO-Bot, welcome to MT. It would be great if you explained that favorite technique.

I can try to explain it in terminology that I know and understand. Being that this is the only style that I've ever studied I'm not sure how universal some of the terms are.

Starting from a horse stance, you step drag forward with your left foot, evading the punch from your opponent. You block downward, striking their arm with double leopard's paws. Then leopard's paw them in the throat with your close hand, followed by your other hand, then coming down with a circular motion to ridgehand them in the groin. You half-moon behind them with your right foot, hook-kicking them in the solar-plexus with your left, then stepping back with your right, sweeping their leg at the ankle. They go to the ground and you follow them down with a palm heel to their head as it bounces off the ground.
Much easier to show than it is to describe. In fact, I think I confused myself in the process. Sorry if you don't understand it.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword, for you, half price! Seriously, those schools still amaze me on what they come up with to get more money out of people.

Mariachi Joe, I have a shodan in Shaolin Kempo (guess which school!), but I've been training in Wing Chun for 5 years now and absolutely love it.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can try to explain it in terminology that I know and understand. Being that this is the only style that I've ever studied I'm not sure how universal some of the terms are.

Starting from a horse stance, you step drag forward with your left foot, evading the punch from your opponent. You block downward, striking their arm with double leopard's paws. Then leopard's paw them in the throat with your close hand, followed by your other hand, then coming down with a circular motion to ridgehand them in the groin. You half-moon behind them with your right foot, hook-kicking them in the solar-plexus with your left, then stepping back with your right, sweeping their leg at the ankle. They go to the ground and you follow them down with a palm heel to their head as it bounces off the ground.
Much easier to show than it is to describe. In fact, I think I confused myself in the process. Sorry if you don't understand it.

So, right punch comes in, and you hit with the left leopard paw then right? To where?

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, right punch comes in, and you hit with the left leopard paw then right? To where?

Downward double-leopard-paw block to the arm as the punch comes in. Left leopard paw to the throat, right leopard paw to the throat, right ridge hand to the groin, step behind, left hook kick to the solar plexus, sweep, right palm to the face.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword, for you, half price! Seriously, those schools still amaze me on what they come up with to get more money out of people.

Mariachi Joe, I have a shodan in Shaolin Kempo (guess which school!), but I've been training in Wing Chun for 5 years now and absolutely love it.

As well As me Too. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it does, and more creatively so! If you did achieve that rank, I'm sure as a practioner, money thing aside, you picked up some good tech's. How do like the wing chun? Do you blend it with the kempo, or study seperately?

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Out here in Utah we don't have too many options. There's some clown named Aranda that runs a few TKD studios, but those are a joke. There is a Muy Thai instute that I hear is good and a Brazilian Jujitsu dojo.

Latest Discussions