How Long Are Your Tests?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
no. the question was "how long are your tests?" and I answered it.

On my test, we went through every single technique (98 of them) both in the air and on the body, and every form, along with every basic.

With regards to "quality," we've discussed this, and you know how I feel about it. There's no need to drag it into a public forum.

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by GouRonin

Most testing is a joke anyway. The real testing should be the work you put in daily. As if one day in your life suddenly makes you certified in anything.

Bah...
:soapbox:

How do you know that? Have you been to most tests? Subjective yes, but a joke- That would depend on what was actually included in the test. I think they can be quite a learning experience and a great workout. For the instructor it also highlights weak points in their students. Some people have day jobs so it is not possible to know off the top of their head what and where improvements have to be made in every student. Testing gives material to be graded on- a basis on which improvements can be made. In Kenpo shcools notes and records should be kept by students as well and the head intructor.

So use all the available methods/tools you can to grow skill. It seems dumb to me to throw away anything that can help even if the amount is small.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
no. the question was "how long are your tests?" and I answered it.

Right, I see that.

Originally posted by nightingale8472
On my test, we went through every single technique (98 of them) both in the air and on the body, and every form, along with every basic.

With regards to "quality," we've discussed this, and you know how I feel about it. There's no need to drag it into a public forum.

Right, me either. No disrespect intended.

But just a good example of What the "relevance" really is to the length of test has to do with quality........ Many interpret length to quality and difficulty.......

I have seen relativity short tests but good ones...... yet others that I stopped because there was no use in continuing thru watching multiples of bad material. I have seen also witnessed long tests that were physically demanding (if that was what the tester wanted to check) and the student performed very well, yet others that were struggles.

Being able to demonstrate what you have learned to a specific skill level and development is what I look for if one is testing for advancement. However this is a very, very subjective event and different instructors have a wide degree of differences on what they do during a testing and want they want to student to demonstrate. There is no cut and dry standard.

:asian:

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Rainman
How do you know that? Have you been to most tests?

Yes. I have been to every single test. Ever. Maybe you didn't see me. I was in the back row.
:rolleyes:

OP
R

Rainman

Yes. I have been to every single test. Ever. Maybe you didn't see me. I was in the back row.

Smelled the beer- good enough:moon:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

The previous studio I went to 2 yrs ago. Only tested on the relevant belt material. All Techniques were done in the air never on another person, and even if you did an obviously crappy job you still passed.

YET, I am told the Black Belt test was murder, a 3-mile run followed by 3, 3-hour tests done over 3 weekends. One to show physical ability, another for basics, and third for techniques, again only done in the air. AND it is alleged that students have done crappy in these tests too and still were passed. This made no sence to me.

Luckily I'm no longer with them.

I see no problem with long demanding tests; it's a sort of rite of passage to me. You worked so hard for so long, show us what you can do. As long as you are not trying to kill the person pushing them beyond necessary limits. LOL but I have no compulsion to be "kicked in" that's just a macho thing to me.

My 2 cents.

Dot

OP
B

bahenlaura

Originally posted by jeffkyle
Never Video Tested.

:confused:

So you have tested in front of other higher ranking belts to get promoted.

when was this?

OP
C

Chu-Chulain

Another factor to consider in tests is that it does address peoples ability to act and react under stress and duress.

My Purple belt test was relatively short at about 40 minutes, but I was tested individually and it was very intense. Near the end I was certainly flaking (being middle age and not terribly fit!) and after a mistake through fatigue, the comment from my instructor was "c'mon, the guy on the street isn't going to wait for you to get your breath back!"

As in all tests, be they physical or academic, they are not really a fair assessment of your complete ability and knowledge, but I do think they are a fair assessment of your capabilities under pressure.

Another question, does everyone practice the birthing right of passage with a kick to the stomach and what are opinions on that??

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by KenpoGirl
LOL but I have no compulsion to be "kicked in" that's just a macho thing to me.

Dot

There's my answer. ;)

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by bahenlaura

So you have tested in front of other higher ranking belts to get promoted.

when was this?

Pretty much everytime I tested. There was always a panel of high ranking belts there to test me.

OP
J

jeffkyle

That was you? :eek: All this time I have known your face, but I never knew It was you! WOW! :D

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by jeffkyle
That was you? :eek: All this time I have known your face, but I never knew It was you! WOW! :D

Yes. Your buffet is terrible.
:D

Originally posted by rainman
Smelled the beer- good enough

...and I thank you for keeping it on tap and cold!
:D

OP
S

SRyuFighter

At my dojo we just learn kata's that we need to know. We spar. And Sensie will just give us a black belt when the kata is good enough.

OP
J

Jill666

Being kicked in is pretty standard I guess, but I got elbowed in the gut instead. Maybe letting me off lightly 'cuz I was a girl?

Ok, here's the question (poll if you want to), how many have seen other students fail a test?

(Tosses the hot potato...:flame: )

I haven't seen it a lot, but I've seen it.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

I don't think that you follow me Nightingale. We will learn kata's/ weapons forms etc. And we practice all the time. But instead of having a formal test where someone who isn't prepared is ready. Sensei will just call one of us over or 2 or however many know the material well enough. And he will test us then and there. My dojo is very small. If we pass then we get our new belt. If we dno't then we go and practice again.

OP
C

Chu-Chulain

In another system I have experienced many years ago, grading was based purely on demonstrated ability, i.e. the rank received (including mongs/stripes) was different for each person. Gradings were scheduled once per year. So in my first grading I had been training fairly hard for about a year and did reasonably well, so I received an Orange 3 mong. The highest I could have received would have been Green (I think belts were yellow, orange, green, light blue, dark blue, brown, black). Two people out of about 40 beginners received Green, about 60% various Orange 1/2/3 and the rest various yellow 1/2/3.

I liked this approach (especially the mongs) as it enabled people to receive recognition for extra effort or ability and I think relieved a certain tendency to award the belt to everyone who turned up, or they might feel bad.

OP
S

SingingTiger

At my school, most tests are private: one black belt conducting the test, one student being tested, and one "dummy" (so the student being tested can perform techniques). The only tests I know of that weren't private were for two friends who were taking semi-private lessons together; they had learned the material at about the same rate for a while, so they tested together for the first two or three belts. I think there might be two black belts for black belt tests, but I'm not sure, I've never seen one.

How much material is covered is up to the discretion of the testing black belt, but my understanding is that the higher the ranking, the smaller the number of lower-ranked techniques. My own experience bears this out, as I only had to do about half of the yellow and orange techniques when I tested for my blue belt.

I've seen references here to tests that last for 4 or 5 hours, and I'm still amazed. For the most part, that seems excessive to me. I'm not sure that the reasons I've seen would justify it for me, though I suppose I'd actually have to study at a school where it happens to know for sure. I'm guessing it's mostly done for the same reason that medical residents have to work 18-hour days: "I had to do it, so they'll have to do it too!"

does everyone practice the birthing right of passage with a kick to the stomach and what are opinions on that??

I'd never heard of it until I started reading this board. If I understand the practice correctly, it seems silly to me. But I might not understand the practice correctly, or the reasons behind it (if there is one, other than the same "I got kicked, so you'll get kicked too!" sort of reason).

Rich

Latest Discussions