How increase felxibility

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi I'm 6' and 260 pounds, yes I know I have to loose some weight and doing diet control with a doctor but have some things I want to ask you. How can I gain more flexibility? It's dificult to me do the seiza (kneeling) posture to do metitation before class and need to improve my kicks?

Wasit and chest level kicks is not a problem, head kicks specially the roundhouse to the head and the hook kick to the head are very dificult to do.

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
only one way to do it: stretching. There are numerous books out, some are easy to follow, it was the fad after airobics

Just remember, no bouncing! Stretch and hold it for 15 seconds, and release, repeat about 2 more times. Some stretches are not advisable for certain conditions, so you have to be careful and listen to your body.

if you have a bar at your disposal (like dancers have, not the drinking kind) you can use it to stretch your legs, stair rails work well, or a chair.

And remember: there are warm up stretches, when you have to take it easy berfore you work out, and a bit more intense stretches for when you are warmed up, as well as cool down stretches.

Oh, and don't forget to breath.

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Manny.

For kicking flexibility you need to do dynamic stretching. There's an article in Issue #2 of Totally Tae Kwon Do (www.totallytkd.com - free download) about this, and there are articles available online by Tom Kurz, who is the best known proponent of this method.

For general health you need controlled static stretching, with particular attention to the spinal column and not so much focus on the legs. Yoga is probably the best all round method for this. I have an article in Issue #4 of Totally Tae Kwon Do (available 1st June) that shows four very effective exercises for this.

Un saludo, compañero.

Simon

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also wanted to add, ballet has probably the best stretch exercises all around.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got it. We do in dojan good stretching but will need to do twice the stretching per day from monday to saturday.

People like me, with stiff joints and ligaments need to warm up at least 15 minutes before do any stretching, then carefully start slow and with care.

I think I need at least 30 minutes to warm up and do a goos stretching.

Manny

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also wanted to add, ballet has probably the best stretch exercises all around.
As long as they don't go overboard and start stretching things other than muscle. I was in a class with a girl who'd been dancing since she was a kid, and her knee liked to pop out of joint during floor exercises 'cause she'd stretched her ligaments too much back in the day.

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I got it. We do in dojan good stretching but will need to do twice the stretching per day from monday to saturday.

People like me, with stiff joints and ligaments need to warm up at least 15 minutes before do any stretching, then carefully start slow and with care.

I think I need at least 30 minutes to warm up and do a goos stretching.

Manny

Actually, flexibility obtained "cold" is far more functional and lasting than flexibility achieved after an extensive warm-up. There's a big difference between the kind of 5 minute non-aerobic warm-up that just loosens your muscles and joints a little, and a 20 minute cardio warm-up that leaves you sweating.

Can you stretch further after running for 20 minutes? Of course you can. But you lose a lot of that flexibility as soon as you cool down. Controlled cold stretching is lasting.

At the beginning of your class, loosen up for 5 minutes. Then do a round of 10 leg raises within your range with each leg, front side and back. Then repeat at near kicking speed, as high as you can without straining. This is dynamic stretching, i.e. stretching in motion, and is what you need for kicking.

At the end of the class do static stretching (I suggest forgetting the splits etc and concentrating on the spine) without forcing. Static stretching has relatively little to do with high kicking ability, but is essential for keeping the muscles and joints healthy.

Best regards,

Simon

Latest Discussions