I'm still around..

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I haven't posted here in a while.

Several reasons..

1. I got layed off from my job (the economy sucks) we lost a major contract (the one I happened to be on) and 1/3 of our staff was layed off. I'm currently job hunting.

2. I had to stop going to class for a while in order to find a job, can't really pay for classes without a job.

It sucks, because I was making such strides and was finally sticking with it and something always seems to happen to screw everything up. I've spoken with my instructor and I've let him know that I will be back the minute I have a job.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dogone!! I went through the loss of contract, though in my case, I did not lose my job; just the promotion that was attached to that contract. I am surprised that your school did not offer to allow you to keep coming until you could resume payment. GM Kim has done that with a number of students. He says to let him know when they are working and not to miss class. When they say that they do not know how long it will take, he says, "don't miss class."

Now, he does eventually expect the student to start paying again, but as of yet, that has not been an issue; each person who has had to work with him has started paying as soon as they were able.

In any case, keep on practicing. At least maintain where you are. And most importantly, just look at this as a blip on the radar. It will pass. Training is life long and just as our training has its ups and downs, so to does life. Sometimes I feel like I am on a thrill ride of some sort; I get ups, downs, and even the occasional loop-de-loo!:D But I always try to enjoy the ride, regardless of where I am on the tracks.

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the job, hang in there and maybe it will turn around. I also would talk to the instructor about continueing classes while you was looking.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sylo,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your employment.

“And most importantly, just look at this as a blip on the radar. It will pass.”

I kind of disagree with this, kind of the deference between mere survival and thriving. Yes, it will pass but there are opportunities that can be missed if ignored. There can be a danger to minimizing the effects the loss of employment can have on an individual. Especially if there are family responsibilities and/or the loss of employment is long term. The loss of confidence and the temptation for pessimism and depression all have a spiraling effect making the search for new and better employment that much more difficult. These difficulties along with the ding to ones self esteem can have a negative effect on all the relationships one enjoys and often takes for granted.

Knowing this, in my opinion, makes it vitally important that a person in these circumstances learns to appreciate and understand these circumstances and treat this (as all circumstances) as a great learning opportunity. Keeping a positive (even if forced at times) attitude will keep the stink of failure and desperation off and increase the likelihood of landing a good job. This might mean taking part time work just to bring in resources while continuing to look for a positive career position.

This circumstance helps to teach us to appreciate and not take for granted our jobs no matter how bad that moment may be. Having to quit training teaches us to take advantage of the training and to appreciate it when it is available. We come to realize how we wasted opportunities in the past and can strengthen our resolve not to do so (or at least as much) in the future.

Some see the loss of a job as a bad thing. It does not have to always be so. Sometimes we find ourselves in a rut or a dead-end job and the loss of that job is actually the cutting of a weighty anchor. That loss might give a push to start a business, or to finally try a career position that turns into that dream position. Losing one position often lands a person into better circumstances and what was seen at the time as a negative in the long term becomes a positive.

Facing tribulations with a positive and learning attitude strengthens and should be appreciated, like a push-up it might suck at that moment but the benefits can be long lasting and unforeseen.

My advice is to take this as an opportunity. Do some self-study. Everyday at your old job were you worthy of your hire? See the weaknesses of your performances and strive to improve them. Feeling depressed at your circumstances do some volunteer work with those that have ‘even less’ than you do. Do not sit at home waiting for work to come to you. Continue to work out and maintain relationships with your loved ones and family. Let others know you are available and willing for work.

If you ever wanted to move cities/countries this is a great time. You can as easily be unemployed in one city as another. You may have fewer contacts but you likely won’t be lazy and you will be willing to look were others that are familiar with that location won’t. A great way of learning about a city is trying to find employment and housing.

It is important to try to keep training or do some other activity that gains you some positive self worth. The loss of a job can beat a person up emotionally physically and spiritually. Strengthening those systems is important to positively face these circumstances. This will help to prevent weaknesses and illnesses that often come with tribulations and stress.

A few quick thoughts.
Good luck
Regards
Brian King

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello Brian,

I think you are spot on! Just to clarify, I meant blip on the radar in the sense of not to let it get him down. I know that sometimes when these things happen, people can focus on the negative and all to easily fall into the spiral of depression and loss of confidence.

Great post, sir.

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wondered what happened to you.

Hang in there! being unemployed is 'Teh Suck' Enormous pressure all around (don't let it get to you) when it is finally over, it will be the greatest feeling in the world!

Keep up where you are, train in the drive way if you must, do the things that can be done on the cheap to stay in shape.

best of luck to you!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad you are still around, and am hoping for the best in terms of regaining employment. It is a bad economy and hopefully you can get some consolation by continuing your training.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, that totally sucks. I don't have any sage advice that others haven't covered. Hang in there and know I'm pulling for ya.

:)

Don't be a stranger.

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions