How Important is Fighting in YOUR Martial Art?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, you're not. There's a world of difference between being a "bad partner" (i.e. a jerk in training), and providing pressure (i.e. a "good partner"). The fact that you can't see the difference doesn't bode well. And I'm still waiting for a definition of bunkai, by the way.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, you're not. There's a world of difference between being a "bad partner" (i.e. a jerk in training), and providing pressure (i.e. a "good partner"). The fact that you can't see the difference doesn't bode well. And I'm still waiting for a definition of bunkai, by the way.

You got a definition.

There are times to be a jerk in training. It depends on what you are trying to achieve. In a sports fight the other guy is going to be a jerk.

So in training you become a jerk.

Most escapes are done before the person has applied the attack. These are done with good basics and denying opportunities.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I got a video of a demonstration of some forms of bunkai that you didn't understand, and then a throw away line about what the video looked like to you… neither of which are actual definitions. And no, there aren't times to be a jerk in training… you try that with me, I break you, just to show you how bad an idea it is.

The last line has little to no relevance, frankly. I get what you're answering, and why, but you've missed the point. Again.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I got a video of a demonstration of some forms of bunkai that you didn't understand, and then a throw away line about what the video looked like to you… neither of which are actual definitions. And no, there aren't times to be a jerk in training… you try that with me, I break you, just to show you how bad an idea it is.

The last line has little to no relevance, frankly. I get what you're answering, and why, but you've missed the point. Again.

Bunkai is a form of drill. You get it from kata. Pick a bit out of it and use it as training. It doesn't look any more complicated or mysterious than any other drill compliant or resisted drill that pretty much every else.

As far as breaking people. How old are you? Seriously in some styles you are actually allowed to fight back even if it seems like they are being a jerk.

That is what sparring is and why it is important.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It has all the relevance. In a drill they get a position you escape. But the trick is you never let them get that position.

Exactly like that video. Step one break the grip. So obviously counter one is do not let the grip be broken.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bunkai is a form of drill. You get it from kata. Pick a bit out of it and use it as training. It doesn't look any more complicated or mysterious than any other drill compliant or resisted drill that pretty much every else.

Okay, now we have something to work with.

Nope. Rather incorrect, to be frank. Bunkai is actually not a "form of drill"… it is quite literally an "exploration"… an attempt to look into the possibilities inherent in the actions of the kata itself. In other words, there isn't any set drill that is bunkai… bunkai is created individually, and often looks like what you think are drills, but that's really simply the way the bunkai is explored.

The actual movements themselves aren't any more mysterious, complicated, or anything else… in fact, you wouldn't want them to be… but what they are is an expression of the tactical applications found within the kata themselves. They (ideally) are designed with the realities of inter-relationships (natural reactions, what you would likely consider "resistance", although again, that's actually not realistic), distancing, timing, and so forth, although that's not essential either. All that's really needed for bunkai is that is is an exploration of the possibilities within the kata.

As far as breaking people. How old are you? Seriously in some styles you are actually allowed to fight back even if it seems like they are being a jerk.

You really want to try this? Mate, if you're a jerk in training, you will deserve a harsh response. And "fighting back" is not being a jerk… again, the idea that you can't see the difference doesn't bode well for your understanding… or your ability to engage with people.

That is what sparring is and why it is important.

No, it isn't. Sparring is a training device with the aim of skill development, not where one person actively tries to stop the other developing.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has all the relevance. In a drill they get a position you escape. But the trick is you never let them get that position.

Exactly like that video. Step one break the grip. So obviously counter one is do not let the grip be broken.

Yeah… you're really not getting this…

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You really want to try this? Mate, if you're a jerk in training, you will deserve a harsh response. And "fighting back" is not being a jerk… again, the idea that you can't see the difference doesn't bode well for your understanding… or your ability to engage with people

Except I am not breakin

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And we're not training, and you're not in my class. I'm trying to help you see the way you're acting and being perceived here… take it as constructive criticism. The simple fact of the matter is that the vast majority of what you argue about here, you have no clue about whatsoever, and this is coupled with your ideas that being a jerk, starting arguments, treating discussions as conflicts etc, and you will be seen in an increasingly poor light. I'm trying to help you fix that before it's too late. Of course, now it's all in your court.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except I am not breakin

This is what happens when you cant edit.

Anyway being a jerk is definitely a step down on the duchebag scale than breaking people. And quite simply sounds like silly talk.

But to prepare someone to fight a jerk they have to experience fighting a jerk. And there is some serious jerk options available in the style that I do.

So it is pretty accepted.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And we're not training, and you're not in my class. I'm trying to help you see the way you're acting and being perceived here… take it as constructive criticism. The simple fact of the matter is that the vast majority of what you argue about here, you have no clue about whatsoever, and this is coupled with your ideas that being a jerk, starting arguments, treating discussions as conflicts etc, and you will be seen in an increasingly poor light. I'm trying to help you fix that before it's too late. Of course, now it's all in your court.

Before you break me?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it isn't. Sparring is a training device with the aim of skill development, not where one person actively tries to stop the other developing.

You are not stopping development you are providing resistance.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is what happens when you cant edit.

Anyway being a jerk is definitely a step down on the duchebag scale than breaking people. And quite simply sounds like silly talk.

But to prepare someone to fight a jerk they have to experience fighting a jerk. And there is some serious jerk options available in the style that I do.

So it is pretty accepted.

I don't think you quite get what "break you" means in this context. What I mean is that I would shut down one of my students if they showed such behaviour, either physically or in some other fashion, depending on how things were going down. And, for the record, you're not preparing people to fight a jerk… you're just being a jerk.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think you quite get what "break you" means in this context. What I mean is that I would shut down one of my students if they showed such behaviour, either physically or in some other fashion, depending on how things were going down. And, for the record, you're not preparing people to fight a jerk… you're just being a jerk.

Braking someone in sparring has generally come with the idea that you will cripple them in some manner.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Braking someone in sparring has generally come with the idea that you will cripple them in some manner.

Yeah, you really need to get some idea of nuance… that's not really the implication. If you don't think someone can be "broken" without crippling them, you're a bit out of your depth here… again.

Latest Discussions