How Important is Fighting in YOUR Martial Art?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
based on the sharps attacks I have seen over 20 years. Which while hasn't been thousands there has been a few.

And your qualifications to judge the actual severity of those wounds are...?

Both of our evidence is anecdotal.

Not really. Unlike you, I have actual medical records as well as the training to accurately assess the severity of the wounds.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And your qualifications to judge the actual severity of those wounds are...?

Not really. Unlike you, I have actual medical records as well as the training to accurately assess the severity of the wounds.

well for example the bouncer I worked with who got glassed and lost an eye. I could tell. Because he only had one eye. That sort of absolutely obvious result.

And these medical records would not be something you could produce are they. So we are both back to anecdotes.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
well for example the bouncer I worked with who got glassed and lost an eye. I could tell. Because he only had one eye. That sort of absolutely obvious result.

And these medical records would not be something you could produce are they. So we are both back to anecdotes.
And if you cannot produce this bouncer then your evidence is only anecdotal.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... Quick records search since I had to come to the ER for a meeting today.
Over the last two years, 98% of knife wounds were discharged after treatment in the ER.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So... Quick records search since I had to come to the ER for a meeting today.
Over the last two years, 98% of knife wounds were discharged after treatment in the ER.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

and they were assaults?

danny86

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. Pretty important.

we have guys who compete. Which i consider fighting. We have guys like myself who bounce and so have to fight people.

and we train up to 80-90% which i would also consider fighting.

pretty much if i am in real danger of being knocked out i class it as a fight.

and fighting is important because i believe you are unsafe if you engage in that sort of activity where someone is really trying to hurt you and you do not prepare properly for it.
Hi drop bear..How many times per week you go training?

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have spent most of my life in a Japanese dojo. One fights nearly everyday. If its fundamentals with your sensei leading. If you are fighting to get a place on the team to win the all Japan championships whatever. You fight till you drop! No pain no gain. Fighting someone else or fighting your own weakness are both tools for advancement.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, been away for a bit... still having some computer issues, but it seems to be working for the minute...

yes i know it is staged. It was an example of what i am on about. That bad partner facto is a pretty big deal though.

Er... no, it's really not an example of what you were talking about. For one thing, what you were talking about (issues you think exist in bunkai... we'll deal with that in a bit) is really not shown here at all... the idea of a bad partner is more one of drills than anything else, and can be just as present in sparring as anything else.

Why i made up the bad partner idea. Fighting is about denying the other guys options from that outset. You don't let that grab come on and then defend.

You defend as soon as you can.

Triangle defence is a good example. The best defence is positional.

You really think you "made up" the idea of a bad partner? Seriously? And do you really not get the idea of drills against particular set-ups? Or are you going to suggest that you shouldn't train against specific set-ups? Do you simply not let your training partners get the position you're meant to escape from when training? Really?

Er... no. What I asked was what your understanding of what bunkai is, not for you to link to a video showing one expression of it that, frankly, I don't think you understand in the slightest. So I'll try again... how exactly are you, drop bear, defining "bunkai"? What do you, in your own words, without videos, believe that it actually is?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Er... no. What I asked was what your understanding of what bunkai is, not for you to link to a video showing one expression of it that, frankly, I don't think you understand in the slightest. So I'll try again... how exactly are you, drop bear, defining "bunkai"? What do you, in your own words, without videos, believe that it actually is?

they look like drills. Isolated fighting bits.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"You really think you "made up" the idea of a bad partner? Seriously? And do you really not get the idea of drills against particular set-ups? Or are you going to suggest that you shouldn't train against specific set-ups? Do you simply not let your training partners get the position you're meant to escape from when training? Really"

In the context I am going to use them yes. So if I do a drill I will good partner. But when I spar I bad partner.

Latest Discussions