How Effective Is Bodybuilding For Self Defence?

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you need to be careful of that as an assumption. Bodybuilder are by any normal comparison strong
Actually they comparatively weak. The low body fat percentages necessary for competition means they have small reserves of energy, and are paradoxically at their weakest when they are at their most ripped.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually they comparatively weak. The low body fat percentages necessary for competition means they have small reserves of energy, and are paradoxically at their weakest when they are at their most ripped.
comparatively weak in comparison to who? That would only be true if they had deprived themselves of carbohydrates', in order to lower their body fat. Low body fat in its self would have no effect at all on there strength or endurance. But I'm quite prepared to accept that body builders who indulge in frantic bulking and cutting mess up their blood chemistry and thus their physical performance. They are still however ridiculasly strong compared with most of the rest of us

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
in comparison to who? That would only be true if they had deprived themselves of carbohydrates', in order to lower their body fat. Low body fat in its self would have no effect at all on there strength or endurance. But I'm quite prepared to accept that body builders who indulge in frantic bulking and cutting mess up their blood chemistry and this their physical performance. They are still however ridiculasly strong compared with most of the rest of us
It's a fact that the bodybuilding "ideal" shape is out of balance. A bodybuilder will intentionally bulk up in certain areas and neglect others, and surprisingly have very weak cores, as a strong core takes away from the ideal, hourglass shape.

Now, a strong man, power lifter will often have a very thick core, and those guys... yikes.

There's a different shape, even when they're lean, because they are weight lifting for functional strength and not for an aesthetic.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Low body fat in its self would have no effect at all on there strength or endurance.
Clearly you no nothing about competitive bodybuilding. Why do you think you never see anyone ripped and with little body fat on The Worlds Strongest Man?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Clearly you no nothing about competitive bodybuilding. Why do you think you never see anyone ripped and with little body fat on The Worlds Strongest Man?
so your point is that because the average body builder is not strong enough to feature in the world strongest man they are weak. Yes in comparison to Eddie hall every one is weak apart from that big guy from iceland

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a fact that the bodybuilding "ideal" shape is out of balance. A bodybuilder will intentionally bulk up in certain areas and neglect others, and surprisingly have very weak cores, as a strong core takes away from the ideal, hourglass shape.

Now, a strong man, power lifter will often have a very thick core, and those guys... yikes.

There's a different shape, even when they're lean, because they are weight lifting for functional strength and not for an aesthetic.
yes they are not as strong as a power lifter, but that doesn't actually make them weak in comparison to 99.9 of the population. Their still bench pressing 300lbs or more and doing it 12times. For strength endurance they can more than match a single lift expert

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
yes they are not as strong as a power lifter, but that doesn't actually make them weak in comparison to 99.9 of the population. There still bench pressing 300lbs or more and do it 12times. For strength endurance they can more than match a single lift expert
Strong in some ways. Surprisingly weak in others.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so your point is that because the average body builder is not strong enough to feature in the world strongest man they are weak.
I am saying nothing of the sort. I don't even know how you arrive at that conclusion based on what I said.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am saying nothing of the sort. I don't even know how you arrive at that conclusion based on what I said.
your point seemed to that body builder are weak because they don't feature on the WSM. If that wasn't your point, perhaps you could explain what point the post was trying to make

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
your point seemed to that body builder are weak because they don't feature on the WSM. If that wasn't your point, perhaps you could explain what point the post was trying to make
I have explained it. The fact you think this was my point shows you either didnt pay attention to what I wrote, or don't understand what I wrote. I don't see how repeating myself will change either of those things.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have explained it. The fact you think this was my point shows you either didnt pay attention to what I wrote, or don't understand what I wrote. I don't see how repeating myself will change either of those things.
or indeed that your post was nonsensical ? Settle for that shall we

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
core strength so weak back and weak abs. Glutes pecs lats. Is that what you are claiming. And those are weaker than any fit person who cant dead lift say 500 lbs

Your average body builder can't deadlift 500 lbs. If they can, then they're incorporating strong/power lifts into their routine. Some do but many don't as it doesn't really contribute to the physique they're going for as a body builder.

I am not downplaying the work that body builders put in. In fact, many are still strong compared to your average joe but "strength" is not the goal in their training. They stick to lighter weights and higher reps with controlled ascent/descent. They're maximizing blood flow into the muscles which makes them abnormally swollen.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
core strength so weak back and weak abs. Glutes pecs lats. Is that what you are claiming. And those are weaker than any fit person who cant dead lift say 500 lbs
Yeah. I'm saying that if you are sculpting a body that meets an ideal for competition, functional strength is not all that important.

I started training with a professional bodybuilder. We were white belts at the same time. He became strong, but he didn't start strong. He was stacked, but felt surprisingly weak. once he stopped bodybuilding and started training for functional strength, it improved.

Conversely, the strongest person I've ever met was a relatively small guy who grew up working on a farm. He wasn't ripped. And not all that big, but everything about him was strong.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your average body builder can't deadlift 500 lbs. If they can, then they're incorporating strong/power lifts into their routine. Some do but many don't as it doesn't really contribute to the physique they're going for as a body builder.

I am not downplaying the work that body builders put in. In fact, many are still strong compared to your average joe but "strength" is not the goal in their training. They stick to lighter weights and higher reps with controlled ascent/descent. They're maximizing blood flow into the muscles which makes them abnormally swollen.
who said average? His claim was bb have weak cores, that seems to include all bodybuilders
as you have the facts, what is the mean average dead lift weight for body builders ?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm saying that if you are sculpting a body that meets an ideal for competition, functional strength is not all that important.

I started training with a professional bodybuilder. We were white belts at the same time. He became strong, but he didn't start strong. He was stacked, but felt surprisingly weak. once he stopped bodybuilding and started training for functional strength, it improved.

Conversely, the strongest person I've ever met was a relatively small guy who grew up working on a farm. He wasn't ripped. And not all that big, but everything about him was strong.
yea I agree that strength isn't their goal, but its a byproduct of their search for bigger muscles . To base the entire statement that body builders have weak cores on one guy you knew years ago is pushing the generalisation thing a bit far

Latest Discussions