How does Sine Wave look when done correctly, and how does it add power?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Sine wave concept is like a car using square wheels. It goes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 1, 2, 3, 4. This will force you to create a form with almost the same amount of time between each punch.

This force you to train 1 step 1 punch. If you want to train

- 1 step 2 punches.
- 1 step 3 punches.
- 2 step 1 punches.
- 3 steps 1 punch.

Can you still use the Sine wave pattern?
The sine wave is like mapping out how we involuntarily blink our eyes then training how to manually blink our eyes in the same pattern. The end result is that our blinking becomes less efficient and less effective. "Spring Knee" makes more sense because we naturally compress and expand. We don't move in a wave pattern when we fight. Unless we are constantly bouncing up and down when we fight.

I think sine wave is more applicable to TKD point sparring. Than to actual fighting. I think in fighting we see people compress and expand. Ducking a punc is compressing, rising after ducking is expanding. The variation of rising and lowering is just people trying to get into an advantageous position.

For a system that does mostly kicking, my assumption is that something was lost in translation when explaining it. I also read that not all TKD trains sine-wave.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
That I don't understand the meaning of your reply. How does moving forward eliminate any possibility of letting the rear heel back down?
If you pick up your back heel and foot and move the foot forward in order to extend the range of the punch and your punch makes contact while the foot is still moving forward you can't place the down down until sometime after the contact.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Sine wave concept is like a car using square wheels. It goes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 1, 2, 3, 4. This will force you to create a form with almost the same amount of time between each punch.
This is an example of viewing something General Choi said being exclusive and / or all encompassing. when it is actually stated to the contrary. Examples 1. "Connecting Motion" One SW for 2 hand techniques. 2. Jumping in the air and punching.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Since the Video has him moving forward to reach the opponent this naturally eliminates any possibility of letting the rear heel back down.
If you pick up your back heel and foot and move the foot forward in order to extend the range of the punch and your punch makes contact while the foot is still moving forward you can't place the down down until sometime after the contact.
In this situation, is it possible using sine wave to...?

1. From fighting stance, move forward and left jab into walking stance with weight 50/50 (down).
2. Raise right rear heel while straightening lead leg with jab extended (up).
3. Lower right rear heel, bend lead leg while throwing right reverse punch (down).

Sine wave is down -> up -> down.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

1. From fighting stance, move forward and left jab into walking stance with weight 50/50 (down).
3. Lower right rear heel, bend lead leg while throwing right reverse punch (down).

But his motions are to avoid counter strikes he's not doing the up and down for the sakes of sine-wave power. Example. Training to slip the rope isn't about sine-wave power.

When a person' ducks then they ultimately rise.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sorry once again not certain I. understand because I am not certain if you are starting for #1 above with the right or left foot forward. Are you starting with the right foot forward and then stepping with your left foot forward and then throwing the left jab? If so the yes after the step is completed and their is no need to move the right foot which is now back to reach the target you can certainly relax the back (right leg) bend the knee slightly while raising the right heel which results in the down, then straighten the rear leg as you slightly unbend the lead knee for the Up, then punch as you throw a right reverse punch dropping the rear heel for the down.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sorry once again not certain I. understand because I am not certain if you are starting for #1 above with the right or left foot forward. Are you starting with the right foot forward and then stepping with your left foot forward and then throwing the left jab?
Either foot forward, as long as you end up with left foot forward and left jab. Tyson starts with his left foot forward and shuffle steps. Again, he steps forward with his right back foot first, then simultaneously steps forward to the left with his left lead foot, slips to his right and fakes a jab.

If so the yes after the step is completed and their is no need to move the right foot which is now back to reach the target you can certainly relax the back (right leg) bend the knee slightly while raising the right heel which results in the down, then straighten the rear leg as you slightly unbend the lead knee for the Up, then punch as you throw a right reverse punch dropping the rear heel for the down.
So, one can theoretically instead use the sine wave in Tyson's situation. That's what I thought you meant, but just wanted clarification.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions