how do you toughen your shins?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been training in muay thai for 13 years now and the best for toughening the shins is kicking the heavy bag (properly) and thai pads, but also light sparring can help. The idea of sticks, bottles, rolling pins or whatever are bad ideas, but to each their own.
I use a foam escrima stick and lightly tap my shin until the bone starts to increase in density from there, I turn the soft taps into slightly harder taps. I continue this until I can softly tap with wood. I don't roll anything on the shin. That damages the nerves and doesn't increase bone density. Heavy bags and Thai pads have the same effect as using a foam stick or a regular stick to softly tap the bone. The only difference is that one method is more concentrated in terms of the impact, hence the reason you start with a tap. The other way disperses the impact. Both ways are impact conditioning.

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i'm not gonna lie I used the method people said is dangerous i took a blunt object and rubbed it up and down against my shins over and over as hard as i could... then i waited for the bruises to heal... then i did it again. this is a bad excuse but I was too lazy to kick the bag 1000 times a day or however often you are supposed to kick the bag. I will say that i haven't done any shin conditioning in months and i can still kick something really hard at around 60-70% power and barely feel anything

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i'm not gonna lie I used the method people said is dangerous i took a blunt object and rubbed it up and down against my shins over and over as hard as i could... then i waited for the bruises to heal... then i did it again. this is a bad excuse but I was too lazy to kick the bag 1000 times a day or however often you are supposed to kick the bag. I will say that i haven't done any shin conditioning in months and i can still kick something really hard at around 60-70% power and barely feel anything
not just months actually more like a year

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To toughen my shins, I just have my wife yell at them.