SHIN & ELBOW hard conditioning

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hey guys sup,
this is prob gonna be one of those threads where everyone is like
"people have already asked this like 12 times, read the bloody forum before posting!!"
but anyway :)
i have a good friend who has trained and fought in muay thai for probably 4 years and he has shins and elbows like steel poles,
he said i should condition with a rolling pin (rolling and hitting) my elbows and shins as he did (which i have been doing)..
but i have read and seen videos of other ppl on youtube saying this is bad for your bones etc etc..
So, professional opinions required..
"ARE ROLLING PINS THAT BAD FOR YOU AS FAR AS CONDITIONING GOES?"

Is ironic , the only people I hear talking about shin/ elbow/ knee conditioning are non-Thais. Honsetly man , all you have to do id constant training that involes striking the Thai Pads , Heavy bag , and sparring (WITH SHIN PADS ON!!) and your shins will gradually harden over time.

Also , you dont need shins of steal to perform Muay Thai, the average guy , with no shin condidtioning can knock someone out as long as his technique is some what correct.

DeadlyShins

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honsetly bro I would not recommend beating on your shins with anything. I lot of young Muay Thai Kickboxers make this mistake - it will only damage your shins.The best thing to do is constant training on the heavy bag , the Thai pads and sparring.

Check out my shin kick vid:

#

Good advice and I definatly agree. You start sparring and doing shields with those shins and they will harden up in no time.

On the vid: Nice kicks but why do you drop your hands to your sides? J/W

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarrod G.

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The problem that most people have with their shins is that you get hit over and over by blocking/kicking that you bruise up and create swelling of the soft tissue on top of the bone. Most people's bones are plenty strong enough for anything muay thai can throw at them. There are ways to deaden the nerves in order to make it hurt less. Kicking pads/bags is one way and probably the most efficient because you can work on your technique at the same time. you can also have somebody hit your shins with a light bamboo stick (very light/thin) in order to kill the nerve endings in your shins. But realisticaly all of this is unneccesary because by the time you get good enough to need deadened nerves, they will already be dead from kicking pads/bags for hours.

Latest Discussions