How do you show courtesy in / before training

bullant

White Belt
Reaction score
I was recently at a training session and one of the new guys there asked me a seemingly simple question, "what is with all this bowing stuff, who and when are we meant to bow".

During my time training (the whole year) i have never actually been taught who and when to bow to, also how low one should bow. at the moment all i ever do is bow when i enter/leave the center, at the start of a session and before sparring.

I guess what i'm trying to ask is, when, who, at what time and how low do you guys bow when you are at a training center.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ask you instructor first. From my experiences every dojang is slightly different. My first one was the most traditional. I would bow upon entering and leaving the main studio room and every time you walked past a black belt (sort of like a salute in the military). Other schools have only requested a bow entering and leaving the Dojang, and when you shake the hands of a black belt. The current school I attend don't bow except to the instructor at the beginning of class. When I bow to the BBs they say "thank you" and nod in reply.

As far as how low to bow I always made my bow lower for the amount of respect due to the recipient. I always try to bow lower than the person bowing to me. But this is my personal show of respect to others.

Hope I answwered some of your questions.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As Red says, this is something that will vary from school to school.

In Iaido, as well as the universal bow to kamiza on entering or leaving the dojo, there is a very formal series of three bows (with some swordhandling) at the start and end of each session. Katori Shinto, for example, is even more elaborately ritualised.

I also, as a personal matter (because it's very un-Koryu), like to bow to anyone I have been instructing after we have finished - particularly if it is someone I don't personally know. It's just a courtesy for their having listened and worked with me. It invariably also means that they will bow back too and so avoids their embarassing themselves through an unknowing breach of manners (as it is a bit rude not to respectfully acknowledge someone who has been teaching you).

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As has been stated, bowing will vary from place to place. In general, in my TKD class, we bow when we enter and leave the dojang (to show respect for the dojang), we bow to the flag as part of the opening of class (to show respect to the flag), we bow to each other following partner/group activities (to show respect for our partner), and we bow to the instructor as part of the opening and closing of class (to show respect for the instructor). In some places, where there is a separate floor/mat within the dojang, people also bow on and off the floor/mat, as that is the actual dojang, rather than the entire room - although many people will bow in and out of the room as well as on and off the floor.

There are other variations as well - the key component is that bowing is done to show respect. Details should come from your instructor and/or seniors.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One thing I do know NOT to do, is to rush a bow. Don't just kind of bow as you walk. That's rude. Instead, STOP. Then, execute a bow, then begin to walk again.

A Master Instructor made mention of this once, and when he did, it was very clear how rude it is to bow as you walk.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I always bow when I go in or out a dojang, even if it isn't our dojang. I also bow in front of the master or the black belts. It must be done slowly, because it's the way to show respect.

And I agree with RED. Ask your instructor if you're in doubt, because every school has its own moments to bow. ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As has been stated, bowing will vary from place to place. In general, in my TKD class, we bow when we enter and leave the dojang (to show respect for the dojang), we bow to the flag as part of the opening of class (to show respect to the flag), we bow to each other following partner/group activities (to show respect for our partner), and we bow to the instructor as part of the opening and closing of class (to show respect for the instructor). In some places, where there is a separate floor/mat within the dojang, people also bow on and off the floor/mat, as that is the actual dojang, rather than the entire room - although many people will bow in and out of the room as well as on and off the floor.

There are other variations as well - the key component is that bowing is done to show respect. Details should come from your instructor and/or seniors.

I would have to agree with Kacey and the others on this.

OP
B

bullant

White Belt
Reaction score
yea, what Kacey said is pretty much exactly what is observed in our center. The confusion comes in when people come across from other centers that are tied up with our same group. an example of this is one if the brown belts who trains at both my center and another center, he bows not only when Kacey said, but also on meeting and greeting all other members and when we receive instructions from the instructor.

also it seems that the bowing etiquette changes from each center to center.

I think it would probably be safest to stick with the way the brow belt does it, but thanks for all your opinions guys. they should be helpful and give me some idea of etiquette in other arts.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Total agreement with Kacey, with one addition. If we are doing drills, sparring drills etc., and accidently contact and hurt our partner, we stop and bow to show we are apologizing for the mistake and then the other returns the bow in acceptance of the apology.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Total agreement with Kacey, with one addition. If we are doing drills, sparring drills etc., and accidently contact and hurt our partner, we stop and bow to show we are apologizing for the mistake and then the other returns the bow in acceptance of the apology.

Very good point, Mel!:asian:

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We were always taught to bow when entering and leaving the dojo, at beginning and end of class, to our instructor at first greeting anywhere, to other black belts if they come into the school, as a thank you to your training partner, and if called to help your instructor demonstrate something to him after so doing. Guess it depends on the school. There are 3 levels of bow: slight bow to other students as a thank you etc., deeper bow to head instructor and at beginning and end of class, deepest bow if you messed up royally, as an apology.

Sorros

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We always bowed, but also introduced our selves if the person did not know you.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use it any time we wish to show respect and/or humility. It is just a way of being polite, just like tipping your hat or any other type of salutation.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just like the military - you can't bow (salute) too much. When in doubt, bow. No one will ever be upset because you showed them respect.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One thing I do know NOT to do, is to rush a bow. Don't just kind of bow as you walk. That's rude. Instead, STOP. Then, execute a bow, then begin to walk again.

A Master Instructor made mention of this once, and when he did, it was very clear how rude it is to bow as you walk.

We refer to that as the "drive-by bow". Not a good thing.

Latest Discussions