How do we stop the MT TKD madness!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you all don't agree with me, and maybe I am just "too nice" but it seems the TKD section here has been more mud slinging than anything else for the last couple of months. We have ended up with tons of locked threads, and mod warnings to keep things civil, and it looks like another thread is on the verge of turning into another problem. A lot of these problem threads seem to revolve around "sport TKD" and "traditional TKD". I think it is good to hear opposing sides on some of these issues, but I wonder if Bob would be willing to add a couple sub-forums to the TKD section so maybe we can stop some of these more juvenile posts? I don't know if it would make any difference or not, I just feel like the last couple of months have been a poor example of what Martial Talk TKD has been in the past, and the only change I can see is that we have more tournament focused posters on board (which is a GREAT thing! We just need to all learn how to get along!). By having some sub-forums maybe those who are offended by sport TKD won't have to subject themselves to reading those posts (and others won't have to subject themselves to reading those replies). Then again, maybe it is just a matter of waiting for this current weirdness to cycle through and get back to normal? Anyone have any other ideas?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lauren it is not the sport that is hurting the section but those people that can not control themself in a civil converstration. I know I step back alot because of the brickering that goes on and we have itr going again.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe you all don't agree with me, and maybe I am just "too nice" but it seems the TKD section here has been more mud slinging than anything else for the last couple of months. We have ended up with tons of locked threads, and mod warnings to keep things civil, and it looks like another thread is on the verge of turning into another problem. A lot of these problem threads seem to revolve around "sport TKD" and "traditional TKD". I think it is good to hear opposing sides on some of these issues, but I wonder if Bob would be willing to add a couple sub-forums to the TKD section so maybe we can stop some of these more juvenile posts? I don't know if it would make any difference or not, I just feel like the last couple of months have been a poor example of what Martial Talk TKD has been in the past, and the only change I can see is that we have more tournament focused posters on board (which is a GREAT thing! We just need to all learn how to get along!). By having some sub-forums maybe those who are offended by sport TKD won't have to subject themselves to reading those posts (and others won't have to subject themselves to reading those replies). Then again, maybe it is just a matter of waiting for this current weirdness to cycle through and get back to normal? Anyone have any other ideas?

Weirdness goes in cycles, peaks at and around the full moon. I think the current ongoing international crisis of the financial kind has people in general a bit on the edge and less forgiving with less humor. I think so far this forum is - for most parts - pretty self regulating and honest to goodness very civil, even in the less civil moment.

I am not sure how much the sport vs MA side of TKD is escalating, I have no input on the sport side, so I generally avoid those topics, but with a large number of members having experience in both things are usually pretty balance.

Last edited:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Subsections are nice, however it will not stop one group from going to the other section. That's like me saying that a TKD person cant comment in the Kenpo section. Of course, if the TKD person didnt have a Kenpo background, it'd be hard for them to reall engage in discussion, but otherwise, the forum is pretty much open to everyone.

We (the mods) cant be everywhere, so we do rely on the members to report problem posts to us. Of course this does not mean to abuse the RTM system, and report every single post that you may disagree with, but instead just the ones that are violating the rules.

I do agree...many threads have resulted in a number of reported posts, as well as locking, but hopefully, your section can get back to some good discussion. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We can compartmentalize some things, but it really falls onto individuals to self-moderate and be respectful even when they disagree. The TKD area is one of our most trafficked, so there will appear to be more heat than elsewhere.

If we split the TKD area, what would you suggest as a good divide?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If we split the TKD area, what would you suggest as a good divide?

Having separate WTF/KKW for tournament discussion would be a good start. You should have an ITF section too, so all the heated sine wave discussions can go in there.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think that subsections would help. We just need to be more civil in our debate & discussion.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ack! Sorry Lauren. I did not mean to go down that road.
I truly love the sport aspect. I love the MA aspect even more. I hate mixing them.
I should have replied to the invitation to have TF go down there as simply saying that is a differnt thing and dont combine. Because it was put out as a challenge It seemed like the sport person was now the one confusing the two and I bit and went down that road.
I know better and should not have. I apologize. Hopefully calling out stupid actions will solve them. I appreciate it.

Dave O.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some understand the differences between the two and can appreciate both for what they are. The ones that can't pop off and start the arguments. That is basiclly it in a nutshell. So even if you split the topics, it will not stop what is.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS and Bob have pretty much hit the nail on the head here...as have several other posters. It really all comes down to the maturity level of the individual posters. Spirited debate is always welcome but the knowledge of when a debate becomes a pissing contest is something that we really can't drive into anyone's head. As Mike said, use the RTM feature in the upper right hand corner of posts that you find to be excessively rude or are breaking any of the board rules... and then don't respond to the post you've reported.

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doritz, I was not talking about your post. I actually reped you as I thought it was a good response to both sides of the issue. But, when that first post was posted with a sparring video clip, I knew right then it was going to turn into an ugly thread. And that is pretty sad! You should be able to post a sparring clip on a TKD thread without it turning into a bash. Maybe a sub-forum isn’t the answer, but my thought was that at least if you post a clip there and someone eloquently responds with “this is crap” at least at that point you can say “buddy, you are in an Olympic sparring forum. What did you expect to read?” and (hopefully) it would be obvious that this would not be the place to argue how traditional tkd is inherently better than Olympic sport (or vice versa). But maybe it wouldn’t make any difference. It really was just a knee-jerk reaction on my part. I appreciate you all for your responses. I just wish we could all use those tenants we espouse (you know, courtesy, respect, self-control...) but I guess barring that we take Master Stoker’s advice and just steer clear of the craziness. Martial Talk is a great place, and it is totally worth dealing with a “Crazy Cycle” now and then :asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lauren you are correct about the Tenets that all TKD has, the only problem is people tend to use them when it is to there advantage. I use to post 50-100 times a day now it is maybe 5-10, I just get so tired of all the crapola. As Martial Artist we should respect each other no matter what our personal beliefs are. My oldest son loves the sport side of TKD and he is pretty good at it, that does not mean he does not learn everything else withen the art itself, it means he enjoy sports. If it was Basketball or Baseball and he did Traditional TKD nobody would have a problem but because he enjoys the technical aspect of the sportside people tend to believe that is all he knows, so sorry for them. We tend to forget about what is truely needen to be the true martial artist and that is the Tenets itself, I for one have grown to respect the athletes that can do the sport at a high level, is it for me of course not but it can truely be tought along side the traditional side of the art.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll go against prevailing thought and state that I think Lauren had a great idea about separate sub-forums. It's not always possible to know what a thread is about by the title the poster chooses. I for example have little interest in sport taekwondo and have been skipping over those threads recently for the most part. It would be beneficial for me to have a separate sub-forum so I can just skip them entirely.

I support the idea. Give it some thought, Bob and crew. I do think it would go a far ways to defusing the tension on this board.

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lauren you are correct about the Tenets that all TKD has, the only problem is people tend to use them when it is to there advantage. I use to post 50-100 times a day now it is maybe 5-10, I just get so tired of all the crapola. As Martial Artist we should respect each other no matter what our personal beliefs are. My oldest son loves the sport side of TKD and he is pretty good at it, that does not mean he does not learn everything else withen the art itself, it means he enjoy sports. If it was Basketball or Baseball and he did Traditional TKD nobody would have a problem but because he enjoys the technical aspect of the sportside people tend to believe that is all he knows, so sorry for them. We tend to forget about what is truely needen to be the true martial artist and that is the Tenets itself, I for one have grown to respect the athletes that can do the sport at a high level, is it for me of course not but it can truely be tought along side the traditional side of the art.

That is a great point! (and one I'll probably steal to use for future convos.) Thank you sir!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ack! Sorry Lauren. I did not mean to go down that road.
I truly love the sport aspect. I love the MA aspect even more. I hate mixing them.
I should have replied to the invitation to have TF go down there as simply saying that is a differnt thing and dont combine. Because it was put out as a challenge It seemed like the sport person was now the one confusing the two and I bit and went down that road.
I know better and should not have. I apologize. Hopefully calling out stupid actions will solve them. I appreciate it.

Dave O.

You guys have lost your minds. I would like him to come to our tournament. Nothing more and nothing less. It was an invitation to show us his skills not fight. It was not put out as a challenge it was an invitation. He seems to have a low opinion of Sport TKD. I would like to have him come and see it done well. I was not and would never challenge someone to a fight. I am a little annoyed by his comments but I am not challenging him to anything but the opportunity to show us his skills and come and watch some good fights.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You guys have lost your minds. I would like him to come to our tournament. Nothing more and nothing less. It was an invitation to show us his skills not fight. It was not put out as a challenge it was an invitation. He seems to have a low opinion of Sport TKD. I would like to have him come and see it done well. I was not and would never challenge someone to a fight. I am a little annoyed by his comments but I am not challenging him to anything but the opportunity to show us his skills and come and watch some good fights.

"Some men just want to see the world burn"
Alfred

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having separate WTF/KKW for tournament discussion would be a good start. You should have an ITF section too, so all the heated sine wave discussions can go in there.
What heated sine wave discussions? They usually consist of:

"Ho! Ho! Sine wave is stupid!"
"Yeah, I'll never be caught dead bouncing up and down!"
Then someone explains the intent behind it for the 50th time and all "discussion" dies instantly.

There has never been a heated sine wave discussion on this board. It's never gotten far enough for that to even remotely happen.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Then allow me to be the first to say that SINE WAVE SUCKS and only stupid people do it!!!

Chill people, it's called sarcasm. I would not know sine wave if it bit me in the butt.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then allow me to be the first to say that SINE WAVE SUCKS and only stupid people do it!!!

Chill people, it's called sarcasm. I would not know sine wave if it bit me in the butt.

I was kinda hoping someone would ask why Santa was such a jerk about the subject. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions