How did you get over the awkwardness of close contact/grappling?

Discussion in 'Grappling / Brazilian Ju Jitsu / Wrestling' started by watching, Aug 24, 2018.

1. now disabled

now disabled Master Black Belt

I get ya there as physical contact these days can be taken in the wrong context as well as the right context .... That is something that only an individual can sort for themselves ..........but in a good environment and a good teacher then that should be overcome

• Like Like x 1
  2. now disabled

now disabled Master Black Belt

I wish I could find the vid of an american woman who when she started out in MA she had those issues and lacked the self confidence etc and now she is a well respected MA

If I find it I'll Pm it to you

• Like Like x 1
  3. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Also because it is hard to do well and people get thrown around a lot. Which sucks.

So the first 6 months is just getting manhandled by everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. marques

marques Master Black Belt

I have felt unconfortable doing grappling, especially in certain positions... But remember everyone there is doing the same and contact is completely normal in that context. Just be aware if certain people take advantage of the context (unlikely, but happens).

After many months you should feel it just normal and think only about the class. If not... you may need to review if grappling is your thing.