How did you get over the awkwardness of close contact/grappling?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends. A lot of people don't like to take our wrestling class because of the unnatural nature of it.

I get ya there as physical contact these days can be taken in the wrong context as well as the right context .... That is something that only an individual can sort for themselves ..........but in a good environment and a good teacher then that should be overcome

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But ya I'm going to take your advice and ask in the women's forum :)

I wish I could find the vid of an american woman who when she started out in MA she had those issues and lacked the self confidence etc and now she is a well respected MA

If I find it I'll Pm it to you

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get ya there as physical contact these days can be taken in the wrong context as well as the right context .... That is something that only an individual can sort for themselves ..........but in a good environment and a good teacher then that should be overcome

Also because it is hard to do well and people get thrown around a lot. Which sucks.

So the first 6 months is just getting manhandled by everyone.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have felt unconfortable doing grappling, especially in certain positions... But remember everyone there is doing the same and contact is completely normal in that context. Just be aware if certain people take advantage of the context (unlikely, but happens).

After many months you should feel it just normal and think only about the class. If not... you may need to review if grappling is your thing.