Getting comfortable with grappling

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
I understand what you mean with it being awkward. I try to focus more on the technique and getting it right than the fact that there is someone way to close to me for comfort. It is usually awkward for both people involved. I have had my training partner, usually a much younger guy, back up and regroup, because he was uncomfortable as well.
I like your advice. I find it a bit easier to focus more on technique with other women. But grappling with the guys is overwhelmingly uncomfortable at times. And some of them probably weigh a good hundred pounds more than I do, it just makes me feel too vulnerable to be in a grappling situation with someone that size.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like your advice. I find it a bit easier to focus more on technique with other women. But grappling with the guys is overwhelmingly uncomfortable at times. And some of them probably weigh a good hundred pounds more than I do, it just makes me feel too vulnerable to be in a grappling situation with someone that size.

Yep. That is a real thing. My last competition was the infinity weight class. And there were some guys pretty close to that.

Good structure. And forehead in face.

28515008_1058773607594534_5839128316995156797_o.jpg

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you are truly uncomfortable then ask your instructor to only pair you up with female partners. This way you can focus on this skills & techniques until such time that you’re ready to progress to the next level.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
" And some of them probably weigh a good hundred pounds more than I do, it just makes me feel too vulnerable to be in a grappling situation with someone that size." Excellent point, but it is also unfortunately a realistic situation. As grappling is an area where strength is not as important as it is in striking, learning how to grapple will help you in self defense situations.
By the way, although I am male and 220lbs, I can relate. I often get paired up with the 6'4 320 lb ex football player or powerlifter.

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I can relate to that. Older male, 6’-0” tall & 190 lbs. I also get stuck with the big boys as in over 200lbs. It sucks but it’s good training.

Rice Nachos

White Belt
Reaction score
A few words from a book I own (Jiu-Jitsu University):

Everyone has fears, and every beginning jiu-jitsu practitioner at every academy will be accompanied by those fears when first stepping onto the mats. It may be the nightmare of claustrophobia, pain, or suffocation. In each situation, the student defeats these fears by facing them over and over again. At any moment, the student can tap to signal an end to the fight and start again and give it another try, over time he gradually liberates himself from the cycle of fear. This is a natural process of mental conditioning and it is the law for every student. Through this evolution, the grappler not only overcomes fear but also the instinctive tendencies to fight and waste energy. In place of his fear he develops confidence, fortitude, and peace in stressful times. In other words, he liberates himself from insecurity.

Latest Discussions