Honoring the Fallen? Exactly who are you respecting?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"No fuss. No flowers or razzmatazz. No tired old formulae of condolence dished out by the PM before the argy-bargy of Prime Minister's Questions begins. Just thousands of people, young and old, standing with lowered eyes and lumps in their throats at the thought of yet more young lives ended in a distant land.
"Sometimes, people have waited three hours to pay their respects," says Mayor Steve Bucknell. "These poor guys have no more time to give, so the least we can do is give our time."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...n-Bassett-A-very-British-way-of-mourning.html

We have eight soldiers flying home to their rest today. The people will be waiting for them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is striking about that report is the quiet dignity of the people. There's no 'demonising the enemy', no cries for revenge, just a pride in the soldiers and the sadness of their loss.
I doubt, to be honest that anyone was thinking of the enemy, I don't think really any of us do at times like this. As I said before, old soldiers will talk about their old enemies with respect if they feel it's right but not when actually at war. You can respect an enemies abilities but that's not the same thing.
No, to answer the OPs question, we don't respect the enemies' fallen, we don't disrepect them either, it's just not the time to think about them.