Hollywood Loves Fidel--But Why?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember where I saw it, but a couple years ago I saw a breakdown of the education backgrounds of MANY of Hollywood's top stars that were in alot of politics and voicing their opinion. Most only completed high school but never attained a college degree.

I've seen that one-it mostly had actors who had been acting all their lives, or since high school, and really hadn't ever needed a college degree. Never mind the difference between "smart" and "educated," (I give you Brooke Shields, Princeton Graduate) the real issue is that, as Americans, whatever their level of education, however hair-brained you think their point of view is-or how hair-brained it actually is, they have a right-and some would say a duty-as American citizens to express that viewpoint. And a closer examination of "Hollywood" in general would probably reveal that the number who attained a college degreee parallels the percentage of the U.S. population who did pretty closely, but, face it-do you really need a degree to play make believe for a living? I don't think so.....

Fact is,though, some of those people are pretty damn bright when you get down to it, degree or not-and some, well, not so bright.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen that one-it mostly had actors who had been acting all their lives, or since high school, and really hadn't ever needed a college degree. Never mind the difference between "smart" and "educated," (I give you Brooke Shields, Princeton Graduate) the real issue is that, as Americans, whatever their level of education, however hair-brained you think their point of view is-or how hair-brained it actually is, they have a right-and some would say a duty-as American citizens to express that viewpoint. And a closer examination of "Hollywood" in general would probably reveal that the number who attained a college degreee parallels the percentage of the U.S. population who did pretty closely, but, face it-do you really need a degree to play make believe for a living? I don't think so.....

Fact is,though, some of those people are pretty damn bright when you get down to it, degree or not-and some, well, not so bright.

I completely agree that you can be "smart" and not have a degree from somewhere. My point was that many people somehow give credence to their opinion because they are famous. You don't need a college degree to act, but I would say that to speak on alot of things that hollywood feels the need to speak on, you should have some type of background in the subject, or at least be intelligent enough to realize that when you are famous and you visit a foreign country in cooperation with that country's government that you are going to be shown the very best it has to offer and aren't really going to get the whole story.

And as you said it. You "play make believe" for a living, and I'm going to trust your opinion on "living"? (you as in Hollywood, not you personally). I feel like Hollywood opinions are like that commercial... "I'm not a doctor, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night." I'm not a diplomat, or a political advisor, but I played one once in a movie so I'm qualified to give you an analysis of the political situation there.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
........I would say that to speak on alot of things that hollywood feels the need to speak on, you should have some type of background in the subject, or at least be intelligentenough to realize that when you are famous and you visit a foreign country in cooperation with that country's government that you are going to be shown the very best it has to offer and aren't really going to get the whole story.

Why? It certainly doesn't keep people from expressing their opinions here, judging by some posts. (That's not meant as a slam, just a statement of fact.)

........And as you said it. You "play make believe" for a living, and I'm going to trust your opinion on "living"? (you as in Hollywood, not you personally). I feel like Hollywood opinions are like that commercial... "I'm not a doctor, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night." I'm not a diplomat, or a political advisor, but I played one once in a movie so I'm qualified to give you an analysis of the political situation there.

Well, it's nothing new. Advertising has done it for years-there was a time when actors and athletes endorsed particular brands of cigarettes
as being good for you.
-Doctors too. Opinions are like, well, what they say they're like-and they're also for sale.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the difference is that actors get a bully pulpit for thier opinions,and since people look up to actors, those opinions, ignorant or not, are given weight.

I generally dont care. Prime example, I didnt care what that idiot Natalie Maines thought of president bush.

I also didnt feel any sympathy for her when her career went the way of the dodo.

when your livelyhood is dependant on an audiance wanting to see you, it isnt smart to alienate that audiance.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
the difference is that actors get a bully pulpit for thier opinions,and since people look up to actors, those opinions, ignorant or not, are given weight.

Well, what are ya gonna do? Deny them their rights to free speech simply because they have an audience for their opinions?

I mean, we all have an audience for various opinions, and they all are given weight-not at all in proportion to celebrities, but still....

You can take the view (as you seem to have) that Hollywood opinions are just so much more noise taking up bandwidth. Especially, perhaps,in those instances where we don't share their opinions.

The O’Reilly Factor on FoxNews.com August, 28, 2008:
Pinheads & Patriots
The pop star Kid Rock seems to be a man who knows his limitations.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
KID ROCK, SINGER: Let me tell you what I’m good at. I’m good at writing songs and singing. What I’m not educated in is the field of political science. As soon as someone comes out for a politician, especially in Hollywood, and says, “I’m voting for this guy, I’m voting for this guy,” that’s who I’m not voting for.
(END VIDEO CLIP)
For bringing a little common sense to the celebrity political arena, Kid Rock is a patriot.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No guys. I didn't mean propaganda film actors, but you know, real actors and actresses. The kinds the government don’t fork up the money to make the films that glorify the state.

Or are you saying the communist regimes allowed the producers and writers to write anything they wanted?

Deaf

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that we might be talking about differences of degree of propoganda and suppression here but that's fairly thin ice to be walking on, DS.

Freedom of speach is a very flexible concept in the hands of any government. As is the censorship that is inherent in any society.

To pretend that there were no great talents in the allegedly Communist states is stretching things a touch. After all, by way of example, I can reel off a number of great Russian authors without even thinking about it.

Likewise, I am not going to pretend that the extent of suppression and censorship in the ex-Soviet Union was not more overtly obvious that in the present USA and had some fairly stark instances of the iron fist showing through clearly.

The point I'm stumbling towards is that it is a dangerous mindset to become comfortable with that allows us to 'demonise' other nations and cultures for traits and behaviours that may well be present in our own.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I generally dont care. Prime example, I didnt care what that idiot Natalie Maines thought of president bush.

I also didnt feel any sympathy for her when her career went the way of the dodo.
I really don't care about Natalie Maines, but seeing as how the Dixie Chicks last album (2006) went double platinum, I think there's been a miraculous resurrection of the dodo population.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, thats why 90% of the concert dates were either outside the US or had to be cancelled or forced in smaller venues......

anyway, not the point. back on topic please?

I really don't care about Natalie Maines, but seeing as how the Dixie Chicks last album (2006) went double platinum, I think there's been a miraculous resurrection of the dodo population.

Latest Discussions