Hi fro NY

Druid11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm a new here so, I thought I'd stop in and introduce myself and say hello. I'm a woman from upstate NY who just got back into martial arts. I took TKD as a kid and more recently BJJ and Muay Thai as an adult. I found I didn't really enjoy BJJ (not a knock against it as a system, just not my cup of tea) and while I enjoyed Muay Thai, where I trained sparred full contact and had few women and to be perfectly honest I began to fear getting injured sparring guys that were significantly larger than myself. So, that combined with other issues led me to quit martial arts for a while, but lately I found myself really missing it. I found a traditional Karate (Isshinryu Karate) Dojo and took two weeks of classes there (that's their trial period) and found myself really enjoying it so, I signed up. The other night I got handed a testing notice to test for my half yellow belt (white with a yellow stripe really) in mid December, so I'm excited about that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Druid11. :)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a new here so, I thought I'd stop in and introduce myself and say hello. I'm a woman from upstate NY who just got back into martial arts. I took TKD as a kid and more recently BJJ and Muay Thai as an adult. I found I didn't really enjoy BJJ (not a knock against it as a system, just not my cup of tea) and while I enjoyed Muay Thai, where I trained sparred full contact and had few women and to be perfectly honest I began to fear getting injured sparring guys that were significantly larger than myself. So, that combined with other issues led me to quit martial arts for a while, but lately I found myself really missing it. I found a traditional Karate (Isshinryu Karate) Dojo and took two weeks of classes there (that's their trial period) and found myself really enjoying it so, I signed up. The other night I got handed a testing notice to test for my half yellow belt (white with a yellow stripe really) in mid December, so I'm excited about that.

Where in upstate NY? I am in Stillwater, which is maybe 20 minutes from Clifton Park. So glad to see other people from my area in here!

OP
D

Druid11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where in upstate NY? I am in Stillwater, which is maybe 20 minutes from Clifton Park. So glad to see other people from my area in here!

That's a wee bit further north than I am. ;) I'm pretty much smack dab between the NYC and Albany. Thanks for the welcome.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Welcome to MT! I am an Isshin Ryu karateka as well, in Michigan. I wish you the best of good luck on your journey.

Latest Discussions