Hey there

†eamSQ

White Belt
Reaction score
Just joined, and was wondering when all you Muay Thai people started taking intrest and actually started to train in Muay Thai? I got immediatly interested after I saw Panum Yeerum (tony) in Ong Bak...ever since that I've been hooked. I've watched UFC, IFL, PRIDE, all those for years and there weren't a whole lot of Muay Thai fighters (at least not in UFC/IFL so much) so I liked that even more. I'm only 16 now, and as soon as I get a license I want to find a Muay Thai school. Currently I'm self taught, with a heavy bag, kick bag, and a few other toys to practice on (including my friends haha), so I just watch the fights on TV and what not and try them myself. Hopefully that will give me a tiny edge in the beginning, but I bet my form is terrible (even though I don't think so).

And how long have you been training as well?

-tsq

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was in high school when Bloodsport came out and there was fighter named Paco that fought Dux (in the movie). He was muay thai and it sparked my interest. Then I saw Kickboxer and got somewhat of a glimse of muay thai. I really got the muay thai bug when I went to Thailand for 4 days in 1991 and that was all it took. So I read what I could find on muay thai, watched instructional videos, etc. until I could find a gym. I dabbled in kickboxing for 2 years before I found a muay thai school. When I started training, I was at the gym 6 days a week, mostly for 4-5 hours each day. Now I am married, so I train when I can, typically 3-4 days a week for about 1-2 hours. I am coming up on 13 years in muay thai and I love it as much now as I did then. If all goes well, I may get to go back to Thailand next year for 2-3 weeks. Everyone keep your fingers crossed. Once you find a gym, keep us posted on your training and let us know how it goes. If you have any questions just ask. You can't go wrong asking MartialTalk.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk!

You might want to post over in the Meet and Greet to say hi to everyone!

I only did Muay Thai for a couple of years back in the stone age. I got into it and western boxing through JKD. Gotta say I do love Ong Bak though. Great stuff in there. Not all MT, but damn good stuff!

Jeff