Question

Bok

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi there

You guys probably get sick and tired of reading posts from guys who are interested/ just starting out, but I hope you guys can bear with me.

One or two questions- I am a 26 year old guy who lives in Cape Town, South Africa. I have recently decided to start Muay Thai after watching a demonstration that absolutely blew me away.

However, I have noted that most of the guys who partake in the art seem to be pretty small. Now I am 102kgs (about 220 odd pounds I guess) and 6'3''. I am quite agile and fit for my size, having played sport all my life (swimming, water polo and rugby). However, I was wondering whether I am too big to enjoy the benefits that Muay Thai has to offer?

Hopefully not- I have a Muay Thai gym that is situated about 1 mile from where I stay (dragon power) and it is run by a guy who was the two time world Muay Thai Champion- Quentin Chong. ( I think he beat Nokweed Davy (?) in his last world title fight). He seems to command alot of respect around these parts and his experience must make him a really good instructor to have?

Anyway- thought I would introduce myself and hopefully this will be the first post of many more in the future!

Cheers

Kevin

Shark

White Belt
Reaction score
Nokweed Devy was indeed a famous fighter in Thailand, he lives on Koh Samui now. There is no reason why you cant enjoy Muay Thai though sometimes you may be frustrated by smaller guys not being able to hold pads for you. Sounds like you have a good teacher if there isnt anyone else your size try get one of your rugby mates to go with you. Im sure it will help your fitness and be plenty of fun.
www.muaythaicamps.com

OP
B

Bok

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Shark. I subsequently noticed that my post was perhaps more suited to the meet and greet section of the forum, but oh well!

Now to try convince the guys from the Rugby Club to join me- would be funny to arrive at the training centre with 8 guys who all weigh over 110kgs!

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No, you are not to big. Start training and have fun. When I started I was 6'0" 215lbs. By the time I had my first fight, I had dropped to 190lbs just from the consistent training. I've seen bigger guys train in Muay Thai. One of my old teachers now has a gym of his own and he trains the ex-WWE wrestler Bill Goldberg (he is huge).

Latest Discussions