Hey guys....... Let's start a new member drive (good members only)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Username Referral Count
Seig 4
Sandor 3
KumaSan 1
Rainman 1
Renegade 1
Goldendragon7 1
Rob_Broad 1
kickyou 1
Yiliquan1 1

:asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Username Referral Count
Seig 5
Sandor 4
KumaSan 2
Dronak 1
Yiliquan1 1
Goldendragon 1
Rainman 1
cdhall 1
Renegade 1
Goldendragon7 1
Kaith Rustaz 1
Rob_Broad 1
kickyou 1

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No..... lol Bob is going to email many who have signed up on MT but never posted in many months.... these will be deleted.....
:asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be sending out an update email shortly to do a few things:
1- weed out all the dead email addresses
2- update folks on whats going on here

Hopefully this will bring some folks who signed up a while back, but didn't see anything of interest to give us another looksie.

I don't want to brag about how many members we have unless the majority of them are active. (that means visiting even if they dont post)

I think MT is the best out there. Thats because of our members making it so. :)

S

Sandor

Kaith,

Just a thought on those seemingly dead accounts and the idea of culling them completely from the userbase. I think it would be better if you add a flag in the db for inactive status and just set the flag when accounts go 'inactive' around the 6month mark instead of deleteing them. This way you can maintain an 'active' count by changing the sql to something like;

SELECT * FROM USERTABLE WHERE INACTIVE='FALSE'

The reulsting recordset will give you active versus inactive for counting purposes and allow users to come back and keep their user names if they do instead of allowing for someone else to snatch the name when the accounts are deleted. On a board like this you may have lots of lurkers who are regged but not logged in or not very active and only post if they are really inspired to do so which may be rare. As the userbase grows those usernames become harder to come up with... just take a look at slashdot for example. Over there I have a uid in the 4 digit range and one with a very low six digit uid. I can't imagine trying to grab a handle on that site now that uids are in the high 500,000's...

Just a thought to consider.

Peace,
Sandor

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can pull the info out of the existing db. It allows you to check by last activity, last post, last visit, etc.

Initially, I'm only going to weed out the outdated email ones as I'm seeing alot of bounces from them. (I think theres 12 different accounts generating 90% of the bounces.)

I like the active/inactive flag idea though....I'll see if theres a mod for vB that already works it in when I have a chance. (might get a few other tweaks too) :D

I know what ya mean about slashdot...I just post anon there...easier than keeping track of a huge id #

Latest Discussions