Heel hook too much?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Anyone seen this channel? It's rather entertaining. Most fights appear to be MMA rules minus elbows and knees. One thing I found interesting is how many fights wound up on the ground (per usual).

Anyway, my question is do you think this guy should have applied the heel hook in this situation?

Do you think that was necessary to win what (I'm assuming) was nothing more than a backyard brawl?

Also this is yet another testament to how good leg locks can be if you're stuck fighting on the ground. From that position he could have torn his leg apart.

Last edited:

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

Anyone seen this channel? It's rather entertaining. Most fights appear to be MMA rules minus elbows and knees. One thing I found interesting is how many fights wound up on the ground (per usual).

Anyway, my question is do you think this guy should have applied the heel hook in this situation?

Do you think that was necessary to win what (I'm assuming) was nothing more than a backyard brawl?

Also this is yet another testament to how good leg locks can be if you're stuck fighting on the ground. From that position he could have torn his leg apart.
Fighters know what they're getting into when they step in the ring. The opponent did nothing wrong, and the guy actively chose not to tap when he could have. He also had the opportunity to break the opponent's heel - not only did he choose not to (foolish), he also didn't tap. Both were his choices.

Man, I used to watch Streetbeefs during class until I got caught xD. But this situation has happened in the UFC multiple times with no punishments.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a tricky one when people don't know what they are doing.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watched without sound so I might be missing something. But there's absolutely no reason to apply a full heel hook in a brawl like this. If you set it up and the other person refuses to tap, the ref should be calling it (or if the ref doesn't understand what's up, the person applying it should break it off and try for something less permanent). There's no justification for completing a heel hook outside of a self-defense situation (which I wouldn't consider this), with the exception of ignorance. And if you're ignorant of either the risks of a heel hook, or when to stop applying it/how to apply it safely, you've no business using one in a pre-set match.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My opinion is worthless here because heel hooks scare the bejesus out of me. Nasty things.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Watched without sound so I might be missing something. But there's absolutely no reason to apply a full heel hook in a brawl like this. If you set it up and the other person refuses to tap, the ref should be calling it (or if the ref doesn't understand what's up, the person applying it should break it off and try for something less permanent). There's no justification for completing a heel hook outside of a self-defense situation (which I wouldn't consider this), with the exception of ignorance. And if you're ignorant of either the risks of a heel hook, or when to stop applying it/how to apply it safely, you've no business using one in a pre-set match.

I agree.

You should put the sound on. Not only do you hear the pop of his ankle, but the black kid's corner was giving him the worst advice imaginable in that situation.