Hee Il Cho.

C

Chiduce

Originally posted by ThuNder_FoOt

My "real-life" experience has proven me to be very different. I too have factual events from which my experience flows from. I have learned that NOTHING is obsolete in the real world, especially muscle memory. Any one fight, can not be identical to another, therefore all techniques must be fine tuned. I understand fights usually start at first push, or glare... but once the decision is made to attack/defend, is it not those same reflexive motions that take action? To parry a real-time blow, or to seize a real-time rush? To say one does not use muscle memory in "real life" situations is very hard for me to believe. Its the foundation of near every technique.

While "feeling attention" may not be part of a particular cirriculum, it is the by-product of continous training and perserverance. One can also say that this feeling attention is better learned in person, where as a home study program may not produce such results.

I am familiar with U.S. military combat tactics. Its techniques are deemed deadly, yet most training is done with weapons as they will kill opponents the fastest. Empty hand combat techniques are very basic (as you stated) and are not the main focus of combat . And for the hand-to-hand they do recieve, they can be just as deadly as the martial arts they derive their techniques from. But i ask you, how many people can go around your average city killing another when presented with a confrontation??? If you do this, you will be discharged quickly and thrown in prison, possibly even given the death penalty.

I'm sure you've heard the analogy "In the Martial World, sercrets don't exist". There is no technique in any part of the world, that hasn't been performed atleast once by another. These deadly basics, are just that... basics. When you learn math, do you limit yourself to simple addition and subtraction? Of course they will get the job done, but there are much more faster, advanced effecient ways of performing the same job.

I relate basic techniques to the foundation of a house. If a house is built on a weak foundation, the house will eventually breakdown. Yet with only foundation, one can not take shelter within the foundation. The foundation is not to be confused as the complete home.

Sorry I wrote so much. It is just very hard for me to understand this concept of which you are speaking of. The tools of which you say are not necessary in "real life" are the very knowledge of all my teachers and masters... along with my personal experience and interactions. Sorry if at all I seemed to have an offensive heir to my description, its simply the fact that this is the first time that I have come across such a philosophy of life. I only wish to better understand.
:asian: :asian:
Master Cheon; you are one of the most knowledgable and wise masters that i have had the pleasure of chatting with in a long time. You have my full respect as a teacher. :asian: I was talking on the kenpo forum about basically the same thing we are discussing now. Some how, several guys with years experience do not understand that nothing which was created or founded as a martial art is really new. But a variation of the teachings of the ancients displayed in this modern day and era. Freestyle techniques or Jiju Kata is from the same origin as i understand. Yet these practitioners, see it that since it is american that it's origin is also. Yet when a practitioner founds a system, traditional or not, whom has studied traditional martial arts; it is very safe to assume that his philosophies, concepts and methods tend to relate back to his original well-spring of knowledge. This knowledge is from the origin of the systems founders, practitioners, and there students of old. So, the expression of the founder of the modern system, whether knowingly or not, reflects the ancients wisdom and virtue. Thus, his system is a direct modern day intrepretation of this old wisdom. Therefore, in this conttext, it is not new and the techniques may have new names, they still exist from the well-spring. The art is no art, technique is no technique, and system is no viable system if there is no traceable lineage to the ancients well-spring of knowledge. I'am also founder of my own martial art street combat system and i'am very proud to acknowledge that this combative was created from the wisdom of the monks,sages ans their suttas, which were intrepreted as physical exertive epressive motion. I will post again on your reflections in my next post! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

T

ThuNder_FoOt

Originally posted by Chiduce

Master Cheon; you are one of the most knowledgable and wise masters that i have had the pleasure of chatting with in a long time. You have my full respect as a teacher. :asian: I was talking on the kenpo forum about basically the same thing we are discussing now. Some how, several guys with years experience do not understand that nothing which was created or founded as a martial art is really new.....

Thank you very much for the compliments. However, I'm not Master Young, but I am a student of his. He has and continues to bless me with the knowledge of his teachings, and has further helped me to live a more physically and spiritually healthier life. I'm forever gratful to him. :asian:

I totally agree on the subject of new techniques and new styles only being re-creations of old systems. My experience of today's modern styles, is actually more confining. I have witnessed many variations of different styles, and these styles seem to focus on a particular point within its mother art. While most of these arts become more efficient in their normal, i believe they lack in the adaptibility departement. The blind effort to simplify traditional techniques, seems to be limiting alot of practioners of these modern arts.

I was always taught, 'no technique is considered a bad technique'. I feel if more martial artists felt this way, there wouldn't be such a need to create new arts. Most modern arts are mere duplications of more 'complete' arts. This is my personal opinion only. :asian: :asian:

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current (July 2003) issue of TKD Times has an article on him. He says he's moved his HQ to Hawaii and his main goal tis to start a martial arts college there.

Latest Discussions