Head hunters comeback

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
so at my Thai boxing gym they're hosting an interclub event where guys can fight in the ring in front of a crowd. It's 5 one and a half minute rounds with a referee but there's no judges as long as no ones stopped its a draw.

One guy who's around my age and has experience boxing asked me if I'd like to fight him in the event. It's not a serious event it's happening in the gym and the crowd will be mainly gym members and their friends and family and it's full protection head gear shin pads etc and no elbow strikes. Basically it's been described as a public sparring match

I'm considering it just for the challenge and the fun of it it's in July so it's a decent time away yet but yeah considering it

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah nice man, yeah give it a go I reckon! Will be good fun and a great experience. And especially cool as it isn't professional or super serious.

Are you gonna doing any special prep for it? Usually for tournaments or events I start about 8 weeks out (based on reading alot of pro elite fighters that start about 8-10 weeks out hehe), and it gives a chance to ease into building the intensity over that time.

But it is sort of friendly sparring so up to you if you wanna train up for it a bit to be able to get through the rounds.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Smokers are a good way to experience a fight event in front of a crowd when held to good safe standards and not just a toughman contest. You should experience a controlled fight along with an adrenaline dump you most likely not get when sparring with your regular training partners.
There are usually several types of fights:
-There is the controlled fight; both are really keen to keep the fighting “light and graceful”. I know it sounds like a strange word to describe a fight but when both fighters are controlled and have good technique it can look synchronized like a dance.
-There is the “I’m way to out of shape for this and I’m just going to hang on you” fight.This just plain suck because the participants simply aren't ready to be sparring or fighting.
-There is the flailing man brawl much like the old Tough Man contests. A lot of the bouts will probably look like this unless most of the fighters have a lot of such competitions under their belt.
-Finally there is the good contest because the fighters have good experience, skills have grown, and are ready to move into sanctioned events.
The moment you get a hard punch to the face all hell breaks loose. For those of who have never really been punched or kicked in the face they usually respond in one of a few ways.
They turn, cover up, & quit.
They turn covering up and then try to fight all pissed off because they now offended and all they want to do is to repay the other person and just becomes an all out brawl.

It takes a lot of control to not swing wildly and to remain calm. Just stay calm, breath. Control yourself, pace yourself, be patient. Everyone is yelling at you, you’ve got this punk *** in front of you who is swinging like a wild man. Do you follow, do you start swinging? Or do you wait? Do you swing for his head? Do you kick at his head?
"I'm going knock that S.O.B. out!"

No, you probably won’t even connect so wait, be patient…the first exchange is going to seem like you've been in there for a long time and it's only been 20 seconds.

If you’re lucky you get someone who wants to work on their skills, if you’re unlucky you get the fighter whose only technique is to charge in and swing wildly or just wants to grab and hold on. But you will gain the experience of being in a fight with pressure, with the adrenaline dump in front of a crowd.

Have fun.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Smokers are a good way to experience a fight event in front of a crowd when held to good safe standards and not just a toughman contest. You should experience a controlled fight along with an adrenaline dump you most likely not get when sparring with your regular training partners.
There are usually several types of fights:
-There is the controlled fight; both are really keen to keep the fighting “light and graceful”. I know it sounds like a strange word to describe a fight but when both fighters are controlled and have good technique it can look synchronized like a dance.
-There is the “I’m way to out of shape for this and I’m just going to hang on you” fight.This just plain suck because the participants simply aren't ready to be sparring or fighting.
-There is the flailing man brawl much like the old Tough Man contests. A lot of the bouts will probably look like this unless most of the fighters have a lot of such competitions under their belt.
-Finally there is the good contest because the fighters have good experience, skills have grown, and are ready to move into sanctioned events.
The moment you get a hard punch to the face all hell breaks loose. For those of who have never really been punched or kicked in the face they usually respond in one of a few ways.
They turn, cover up, & quit.
They turn covering up and then try to fight all pissed off because they now offended and all they want to do is to repay the other person and just becomes an all out brawl.

It takes a lot of control to not swing wildly and to remain calm. Just stay calm, breath. Control yourself, pace yourself, be patient. Everyone is yelling at you, you’ve got this punk *** in front of you who is swinging like a wild man. Do you follow, do you start swinging? Or do you wait? Do you swing for his head? Do you kick at his head?
"I'm going knock that S.O.B. out!"

No, you probably won’t even connect so wait, be patient…the first exchange is going to seem like you've been in there for a long time and it's only been 20 seconds.

If you’re lucky you get someone who wants to work on their skills, if you’re unlucky you get the fighter whose only technique is to charge in and swing wildly or just wants to grab and hold on. But you will gain the experience of being in a fight with pressure, with the adrenaline dump in front of a crowd.

Have fun.
Yeah most of that won't apply to me as I've been fighting in the ring since I was 15 in boxing, kickboxing and mma and point karate. I've been retired years now this is just for fun but I've got plenty of ring experience in much bigger events than this interclub thing

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah nice man, yeah give it a go I reckon! Will be good fun and a great experience. And especially cool as it isn't professional or super serious.

Are you gonna doing any special prep for it? Usually for tournaments or events I start about 8 weeks out (based on reading alot of pro elite fighters that start about 8-10 weeks out hehe), and it gives a chance to ease into building the intensity over that time.

But it is sort of friendly sparring so up to you if you wanna train up for it a bit to be able to get through the rounds.
I'm always training anyway and as long as I'm not finished its impossible to lose and it doesn't matter if I win or lose anyway but not ill just do what I normally do

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah most of that won't apply to me as I've been fighting in the ring since I was 15 in boxing, kickboxing and mma and point karate. I've been retired years now this is just for fun but I've got plenty of ring experience in much bigger events than this interclub thing
That's great. Should be a good experience in helping someone else have a great experience a well.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have a ball, Headhunter. And I'm sure you will. :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey mate how did this end up going if you did it? Or did you move location recently? Can't remember sorry..

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
so at my Thai boxing gym they're hosting an interclub event where guys can fight in the ring in front of a crowd. It's 5 one and a half minute rounds with a referee but there's no judges as long as no ones stopped its a draw.

One guy who's around my age and has experience boxing asked me if I'd like to fight him in the event. It's not a serious event it's happening in the gym and the crowd will be mainly gym members and their friends and family and it's full protection head gear shin pads etc and no elbow strikes. Basically it's been described as a public sparring match

I'm considering it just for the challenge and the fun of it it's in July so it's a decent time away yet but yeah considering it
I literally live for this ****. DO IT

post video.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey mate how did this end up going if you did it? Or did you move location recently? Can't remember sorry..
Yeah sadly it didn't happen the event itself folded because of lack of interest from other gyms

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Exciting and best of luck. It should be great experience.

Latest Discussions