Head bouncing on concrete

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I whipped his *** last year at Thanksgiving for taking all the skin off the turkey, Iā€™m likely to stab him with a turkey bone shank. If he disrespects like that again, he will be layin in gravy. ;)
Turkey Bone Shank... ha ha ha. Now I've heard everything. Nothing but boneless meat and finger food at your reunions huh?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When talking with the police... you need to be very careful.... and you need to understand ALL of the laws.
Hopefully, a camera would be around or someone would capture me getting attacked on camera lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When talking with the police... you need to be very careful.... and you need to understand ALL of the laws. I would speak to lawyers and police in the place where you live to get a good understanding of what to say and what not to say. You could end up digging your own grave... or just adding years to your sentence....

Use of force laws usually talk about when you can use what amount of force. I have yet to see one that says that you can use a certain level of force, if and only if you control their fall. Either you can use that level of force or you can't.... easing their fall after using that level of force does not change anything....
This reminds me of what a District Attorney told me in a law class that I took a long time ago. Don't answer beyond the question being asked. She said that we should get into the habit of only answering the question. If the answer to a question is longer than a one word sentence then don't answer.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When talking with the police... you need to be very careful.... and you need to understand ALL of the laws. I would speak to lawyers and police in the place where you live to get a good understanding of what to say and what not to say. You could end up digging your own grave... or just adding years to your sentence....

Use of force laws usually talk about when you can use what amount of force. I have yet to see one that says that you can use a certain level of force, if and only if you control their fall. Either you can use that level of force or you can't.... easing their fall after using that level of force does not change anything....
Thank you for bring up this important subject. Indeed this is an important topic. Most people have a wrong idea on how to best mitigate interacting with the police. There is mountains of misinformation and bad thinking out there. That has unfortunately become common thinking.

Not talking to the police being one of the most common forms of bad advice and probably the worst things you can do in a self-defense situation. But there are nuances on how to handle this to you best advantage.

With that said, I don't think this form is prepared to hear the truth on this particular subject. Because the bad information is so deeply rooted.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you for bring up this important subject. Indeed this is an important topic. Most people have a wrong idea on how to best mitigate interacting with the police. There is mountains of misinformation and bad thinking out there. That has unfortunately become common thinking.

Not talking to the police being one of the most common forms of bad advice and probably the worst things you can do in a self-defense situation. But there are nuances on how to handle this to you best advantage.

With that said, I don't think this form is prepared to hear the truth on this particular subject. Because the bad information is so deeply rooted.
It's good advice because a lot of people will explain themselves into trouble.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Turkey Bone Shank... ha ha ha. Now I've heard everything. Nothing but boneless meat and finger food at your reunions huh?
There was a case a while back where a bouncer punched a famous cricketer and killed him.

It cause a huge uproar. And the bouncer barely got off a manslaughter charge.
We are pretty fragile creatures.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is an article today where a famous surf pro died after a one punch altercation. He hit his head after falling and died due to that injury. Bad bounce.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have watched a lot of people being knocked out in street encounters lately. Everyone has a cellphone going these days. But I also have seen a lot of unconscious people bounce their head on concrete after falling.

That's scary and can lead to some extremely serious injuries or death. I'm not a huge fan of Lee Morrison but I have heard him talk about grabbing and striking, so you can control their decent upon knocking them out.

I think there is some validity to this. I also think this is one more reason the Muay Thai clinch is valuable. Being able to even articulate an attempt to keep them from bouncing their head would go a long ways in a police report to set the stage for a positive legal aftermath.

Thoughts?
I used to be a magistrate and when a case of assault was before us (three magistrates hear cases here in the U.K.) and the victim fell to the ground, perhaps unconscious, Iā€™d vehemently argue that the potential sentence should be more punitive due to the risk of fatal or life-changing brain injury, using my other knowledge of contracoup injuries etc, to add impact (pun intended) to my argument.

So, would-be thugs, only fight in soft grassy areas.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
An interesting aspect is that judo is designed to thrown an opponent on his back, not his head. While that is a hard hit, and potentially crippling, I think a judoka could at least articulate that he attempted to throw him on his back. And in all likely the person would not hit his head. Although it's certainly still possible.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
An interesting aspect is that judo is designed to thrown an opponent on his back, not his head. While that is a hard hit, and potentially crippling, I think a judoka could at least articulate that he attempted to throw him on his back. And in all likely the person would not hit his head. Although it's certainly still possible.
Reminds me of when I was running on the streets & tripped on an uneven paving slab. I rolled forward & got on my feet quickly but on another occasion in the woods I tripped & landed flat on my face & it hurt my knee. I think in the frenzy of a fight it can go any way too. Can't Plan things like in a Dojo. If you're fighting for your life you'll bite his ear off if need be. I've rammed my thumb into a guys eye before as he was on top of me but soon he wasn't after I hurt him.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B6F97E99-8904-4EFE-B6CC-62D0A6082E7C.gif

I think a throw only requires a bit of a tweak to be devastating! She sorted him out good and proper!

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
View attachment 28940
I think a throw only requires a bit of a tweak to be devastating! She sorted him out good and proper!
The old "snow plow." It's possible people can stiffen up and not roll. But again at least you are employing a technique that you can articulate is selected with safety in mind. With that said a knee drop shoulder throw is one of the most likely throws that will result in stiffening up and not rolling.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An interesting aspect is that judo is designed to thrown an opponent on his back, not his head.
I'm not sure about that. I'm just about martial arts and my guess there's a sport side and self-defense side of things for judo. Most people see the sports side of things for judo. Martial art in general wants to end the fight as soon as possible so there's a lot of throws that would increase the chance of hitting the head on the ground. But those throws would be banned in sports judo.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Olympic Judo šŸ¤¢

Has anyone seen the dreadfully titled documentary, ā€˜Budo: The Art of Killingā€™? Itā€™s generally a bit cheesy now but the Judo section looks good. It looks like I remember Judo used to lookā€¦dangerous! The Judo I see now in the Olympics is so dull and really unimpressive. Olympic TKD is even worse. They are one of the reasons the ZNKR wants to keep Kendo out of the Olympic games!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Olympic Judo šŸ¤¢

Has anyone seen the dreadfully titled documentary, ā€˜Budo: The Art of Killingā€™? Itā€™s generally a bit cheesy now but the Judo section looks good. It looks like I remember Judo used to lookā€¦dangerous! The Judo I see now in the Olympics is so dull and really unimpressive. Olympic TKD is even worse. They are one of the reasons the ZNKR wants to keep Kendo out of the Olympic games!
That's the good thing about sports. We don't want it to be career ending or life ending. The bad thing is that the original system gets misrepresented as it morphs into a sports focus and not self-defense focus. That's when the lines start to blur in terms of being effective for sports vs self defense. The skill sets that's needed to win the sport are often not the same as the ones needed to win a fight.

I recently got caught with that during sparring. I did a successful foot hook on my MMA sparring partner, he fell. I stopped going. He didn't and used that as an opportunity to set me up in a leg lock. Lesson learned. I have to get out of my sports mind a little when training with the MMA guy, but more important, I need to start to "finish the fight" the next time he's down. I won't land the shot but I will make him aware of it. To that extent, I should make him extremely concerned about being on the ground when I'm still standing.

Latest Discussions