Has olympic Taekwondo ruined the reputation of the art?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone attributing WTF/KKWs prominence to anything other than politics (wheter Choi brought it on himself is up for debate) is delusional.

Last edited:

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone attributing WTF/KKWs prominence to anything other than politics (wheter Choi brought it on himself is up for debate) is delusional.
There are many factors at play. Attributing everything to politics is also incorrect. At any rate, politics are everywhere, in every workplace and every organization. Politics are always a factor.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont't think popularity is always related to politics. Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola Zero and Pepsi are all equally available in most stores. People prefer the taste of Coca-Cola. Simple as that.

There is no equal playing ground for Chois TKD system. South Korea has 2 or 3 ITF dojangs. Go figure.

Put them equally available and we will see which one people prefer!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont't think popularity is always related to politics. Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola Zero and Pepsi are all equally available in most stores. People prefer the taste of Coca-Cola. Simple as that.

You have proof of that of course? In a good many catering outlets only one or the other is available so there is no choice. It's down to contracts and advertising...oh and politics ( and in some countries bribes). So another analogy shot down in flames due to your lack of understanding how the real world works.
Coke or Pepsi As soda sales crash Pepsi s a better bet - The Washington Post

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Or you don't understand the argument.It doesn't matter if Pepsi were to be more popular or if it's not equal in ALL countries. Only when there is equal accessability somewhere large enough will we know which one people truly prefer.

South Koreas WTF has intentionally air brushed history, gotten rid of ITF up until fairly recently where one or two schools are operating in South Korea. It's a disgrace.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This gets back again to a point that we already discussed previously: up until 1988, South Korea was mostly run by harsh dictatorships. Unfortunately, that was the Korea that General Choi was stuck with. Personally, I suspect he would have much preferred to live in a modern-style democracy. It wasn't until 1988 though that South Korea finally switched to a modern democracy. So...yah, I don't think anybody would argue that many of the things the dictatorial governments did were unjust. In fact, shutting down non-Kukki dojangs was one of the unjust things they did, but it probably pales in comparison to many of their other nefarious actions. To be outraged by the ousting of dojangs probably does a disservice to the victims of the government's far more serious excesses.

History of South Korea - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Rhee regained control of parliament in the 1954 elections, and thereupon pushed through an amendment to exempt himself from the eight-year term limit, and was once again re-elected in 1956. Soon after, Rhee's administration arrested members of the opposing party and executed the leader after accusing him of being a North Korean spy.

The administration became increasingly repressive while dominating the political arena, and in 1958, it sought to amend the National Security Law to tighten government control over all levels of administration, including the local units. These measures caused much outrage among the people, but despite public outcry, Rhee's administration rigged the March 15, 1960 presidential elections and won by a landslide.

History of South Korea - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

...The National Assembly was dissolved and military officers replaced the civilian officials. In May 1961, the junta declared "Pledges of the Revolution": anticommunism was to be the nation's main policy...

I would conjecture that if the South Korean governments had not been dictatorships, we'd probably still see many different styles of taekwondo in South Korea. The agenda to wipe out all but Kukki-style taekwondo was the agenda of dictatorships.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to stick with the subject of martial arts and Tae Kwon Do in a forum and thread about it.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to stick with the subject of martial arts and Tae Kwon Do in a forum and thread about it.

Translation: If you guys are going to keep backing-up your arguments with facts and references, I'd prefer to change the subject!

South Koreas WTF has intentionally air brushed history, gotten rid of ITF up until fairly recently where one or two schools are operating in South Korea. It's a disgrace.

Dude, you're the one who brought it up. It's like when you see a murderer who steals a car, and you say, "What?! He stole a car?! That's a disgrace!" The theft isn't the disgrace, the murder is.

That same things goes for old South Korea. Yah it really stinks that they shut-down non-Kukki dojangs, but that's the least of their excesses. You're outraged about the wrong thing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you don't understand the argument.It doesn't matter if Pepsi were to be more popular or if it's not equal in ALL countries. Only when there is equal accessability somewhere large enough will we know which one people truly prefer.

I understand the argument better than you I'm afraid. You use odd ideas to try and prove what you are saying but it doesn't work, you need to actually cite your sources for a start. Saying randomly that people prefer one cola over another proves nothing and does nothing to help your argument then back tracking and saying it proves nothing is a waste of everyone's time and insulting peoples' intelligence.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The WTF always refer to TKD as a sport (makes me want to puke). That was their goal from the get go and they have achieved it

The WTF is a regulatory agency tasked with overseeing TKD competition, specifically the type of competition that is done in the Olympic. So, duh... they supervise one portion of the sport side of TKD.
That really doesn't change what TKD is...

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anyone making such divisive statements has very little credibility.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

There is no equal playing ground for Chois TKD system. South Korea has 2 or 3 ITF dojangs. Go figure.

Put them equally available and we will see which one people prefer!
They both had their time. One became more popular than the other.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It's the real world. It's capitalism.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
The WTF is a regulatory
That really doesn't change what TKD is...
Of course not. Anyone can vist a KKW dojang interested in the Olympics (that is the majority) and you will see that modern TKD and Olympics is one and the same. I did KKW myself. Didn't throw a single punch to targets.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions