Has olympic Taekwondo ruined the reputation of the art?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
What's not to understand? They set out to create a competition that would be unique in the MA world, which it is. They sought to use this competition as a vehicle to promote both Taekwondo and Korea worldwide, which they have done. For years they tried to get into the Olympic Games. The talk had been that ITF and WTF would have to unite to make it happen, yet eventually they succeeded in their goal. If you worked to accomplish a goal for 30+ years, you wouldn't cherish it?

Just because you don't happen to like watching a sport doesn't make it less valid or unworthy. I'm sure there are many Europeans who can't understand why Americans like American football.

They and a very small minority outside of TKD are the only ones.. People trash the sparring constantly. Watch any discussion board, comments for each clip, and it's 99% hatred towards WTF sparring. I don't think their Olympics is justified in light of this.

ITF is slightly more watchable, but only that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually as a non TKD person ( other than being a yellow belt) I've not seen anymore 'anti TKD sparring comments' than I see anti MMA or anti TMA. Most people take the opinion that it's none of their business what others do and therefore don't trash talk other styles. Those with agendas will bash other styles because to them their style is the 'best eva innit'.
It's you opinion about TKD you are talking about and that doesn't make it 995 of everyone's opinion.
I think it's a shame that non martial arts people know TKD only from the Olympics ( but then they also only know most martial arts from films and television anyway, little of it is realistic) but their sparring doesn't bother me, I wouldn't do it now as I'm too old and stiff to kick high anymore. If I'd come across TKD when I was young perhaps I would have trained in instead of Wado, who knows. Wado is my first love, it suits me and I enjoy training it, doesn't mean any other style isn't as good for those training in it, just mean it's my preference. I like learning about other styles,, after all there's only so many ways a body can move. Other peoples 'experiences are important to learn from, arguments that are muddled, mistaken and can't be followed are just a waste of time and shows a disorganised mind and/or one with an agenda to blacken a fine martial art.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Although there have been some complaints about the grappling content of MMA and UFC in particular, it doesn't even approach the view of WTF sparring. The stand up striking of UFC is still appreciated.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Although there have been some complaints about the grappling content of MMA and UFC in particular, it doesn't even approach the view of WTF sparring. The stand up striking of UFC is still appreciated.
Opinions on internet message boards and forums would tell you that almost everything sucks. People are much more likely to post about things they don't like.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Opinions on internet message boards and forums would tell you that almost everything sucks. People are much more likely to post about things they don't like.

Not really. I am quite surprised ITF sparring doesn't get the same bad rep. It looks very silly when the slightest use of excessive force is potentially prohibited. I really don't see the point of fighting at all, when you can barely do anything. It affects techniques which could never be displayed to the public because it would likely yield a full contact blow.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

What you read online is not necessarily representative of the global view...you gotta wake up to that.

If people hated it so much, it wouldn't be as massively popular as it is in terms of the number of participants.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
What you read online is not necessarily representative of the global view...you gotta wake up to that.

If people hated it so much, it wouldn't be as massively popular as it is in terms of the number of participants.

It's own practitioners are bound to like it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For WTF tournaments, yes. Olympics, NO.

So whose opinions matter when it comes to the Olympics? Various sports governing bodies put forward their sports for consideration, they get chosen or they don't. The rest of us have a choice we can watch those sports or not. I don't watch many Olympic sports because I'm not interested in them, it doesn't make them 'stupid' or 'silly' sports , it merely means I'm not interested in them. They will however be important to those in that sport. I love competing and watching dressage, I do not like watching swimming of any type but that doesn't mean those swimmers have put maximum effort in and compete to the very best of their abilities which I do have respect for. Olympic TKD I can take or leave but I have total respect for the competitors who have given up a lot to represent their countries. I don't see why you have to disrespect people so much, if you don't like it, don't do it and don't watch it. Leave it to those who enjoy it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I did. Every single TKD guy I have ever talked to or read about online have done KKW with WTF sparring only. This is the norm.

Well, no, this isn't true at all, since you've been told by many TKD people here (people with far more than your few months of experience) that this is not how they train.

Of course, your ability to ignore facts that go against your preconceived notions is as legendary as your father.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, no, this isn't true at all, since you've been told by many TKD people here (people with far more than your few months of experience) that this is not how they train.

Of course, your ability to ignore facts that go against your preconceived notions is as legendary as your father.

In case you didn't know it already, I am referring to the freestyle sparring as being WTF only in most KKW schools. Asking what I trained is shooting yourself in the foot, since you asked for a large sample size.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case you didn't know it already, I am referring to the freestyle sparring as being WTF only in most KKW schools. Asking what I trained is shooting yourself in the foot, since you asked for a large sample size.

But, again, it's simply not true. We use several different rulesets for freestyle sparring. And as has been mentioned (but you [shockingly!] ignored) the KKW itself lists a large number of different sparring methods.

As for "what you trained", it's simple. You made a claim about "most" KKW schools. In order for this claim to be valid, you would need to have data from >50% of KKW schools. And you would have to train there long enough to know their curriculum, because you, as a yellow belt with a few months training certainly do not know the full curriculum at your current school. You've said that you're attending a McDojo. Apparently, your college isn't any better.

So... how many KKW schools did you train at, for how long, and to what rank?

Or are you just making crap up as you go along?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
But, again, it's simply not true. We use several different rulesets for freestyle sparring. And as has been mentioned (but you [shockingly!] ignored) the KKW itself lists a large number of different sparring methods.

As for "what you trained", it's simple. You made a claim about "most" KKW schools. In order for this claim to be valid, you would need to have data from >50% of KKW schools. And you would have to train there long enough to know their curriculum, because you, as a yellow belt with a few months training certainly do not know the full curriculum at your current school. You've said that you're attending a McDojo. Apparently, your college isn't any better.

So... how many KKW schools did you train at, for how long, and to what rank?

Or are you just making crap up as you go along?

"We". You represent the majority of KKWs? Have you visited 50% of KKWS? Why on earth would I expect a KKW school with students eager for WTF torneys, to spar anything other than WTF rules? Just as I wouldn't expect ITF guys to waste time with muay thai sparring rules for ITF competitions.

Some offer Kukikwon certificates while teaching ITF patterns and doing a hole bunch of unconventional things. It is not these schools that form the majority of what is known as WTF competitors training in KKW school.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some offer Kukikwon certificates while teaching ITF patterns...

I assume that at those schools they learn the Kukkiwon patterns as well? I can't see how a person would get a Kukkiwon certificate without demonstrating the Kukkiwon patterns.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"We". You represent the majority of KKWs? Have you visited 50% of KKWS?

You're committing a logical fallacy again. If you say that "most schools do X" then you have to sample most of the schools. If you say that "some schools do X" you only have to sample a few schools.

Dirty Dog said that some schools use different rulesets, not that most schools use these rulesets.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
You're committing a logical fallacy again. If you say that "most schools do X" then you have to sample most of the schools. If you say that "some schools do X" you only have to sample a few schools.

Dirty Dog said that some schools use different rulesets, not that most schools use these rulesets.

ITF does not primarily train WTF contenders. They would have nowhere else to train seriously than in a KKW school. Up until very recently, ITF was not let in to the olympics. not that I think it matters that much in practice, aside from some countries like North Korea are nowdays allowed to compete.

Latest Discussions