Has anyone tried exhibiting at a (juried) craft show?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a crazy (and perhaps premature) idea that I'd like to try exhibiting some of my landscapes at a craft show.

The show is juried, which means you have to apply and submit 5 examples of your work in order to be an exhibitor. I have not applied so all of this may be moot.

Has anyone tried something like this? My sister does a lot of craft sales, but her work (flower arrangements) is a lot different than photography.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't, nor do I know anyone who has, but I say go for it Carol! What have you got to lose? :asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not yet, but we're considering it. Closest we got to competition so far was last years county fair. 4 in, 2 got honorable mentions. Other 2 might have had we mounted them better.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a crazy (and perhaps premature) idea that I'd like to try exhibiting some of my landscapes at a craft show.

The show is juried, which means you have to apply and submit 5 examples of your work in order to be an exhibitor. I have not applied so all of this may be moot.

Has anyone tried something like this? My sister does a lot of craft sales, but her work (flower arrangements) is a lot different than photography.

I have a good friend who does wood carvings and she goes to shows like that all the time. I can put you in touch with her if you'd like. She's a very nice person and I'm sure she would be willing to give you some tips advice and whatnot.

As for photography, my friend Jackie Buck, whom I pointed Bob at the other day, does a lot of exhibitions and enters contests and such. She's won a lot too. Perhaps she could give some tips in that direction.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a good friend who does wood carvings and she goes to shows like that all the time. I can put you in touch with her if you'd like. She's a very nice person and I'm sure she would be willing to give you some tips advice and whatnot.

As for photography, my friend Jackie Buck, whom I pointed Bob at the other day, does a lot of exhibitions and enters contests and such. She's won a lot too. Perhaps she could give some tips in that direction.

That would be great, Bill. :asian: I've bookmarked her blog, her photos are astounding!

I found out a bit more about the show in Connecticut...its actually out of my league...for now. I thought it boutique-ish, its actually quite large.

What they are looking for is exhibitors that are already on the circuit, they want at least one snapshot of a booth from a past show. Uhhh......I don't even know how to mount photos on foam board, let alone have a booth arrangement. :eek:

I think I'll start smaller. :D

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not yet, but we're considering it. Closest we got to competition so far was last years county fair. 4 in, 2 got honorable mentions. Other 2 might have had we mounted them better.

Lets chat tomorrow if you are free, I'd like Silver Star Web Designs to help me build a presence on teh interwebs. :D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be around most of the day. Buzz me whenever is good.

When mounting on foam board, practice, practice, practice, or pay to have a pro do it for you. They seemed to deduct points for a lot of nitpicky but understandable things. We're considering MPix for this right now, haven't ordered any samples yet though.
http://mpix.com/Mounting.aspx

Latest Discussions